All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
going to finally have a career at 50
      #21029 - 09/17/03 12:18 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Oh my, embaressing to confess that I have let IBS slow me down. many years I couldn't hold down a job.As a result I feel like I'm only 20yrs old in job experience years.
Anyway last 2 yrs been taking computer graphic classes at night (seem to have less IBS problems at night)I have designed 2 logos for local businesses (they were logo contest and I won). Now I'm ready to branch out and do graphic arts full time. BUT afraid IBS will hold me back again. Thinking of working at home, but not sure how to go about it (live in sm town.
Anyone have enlightment, help and encouaging words.
Thanks for the help,
Paintlady

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You should be so proud! new
      #21030 - 09/17/03 12:33 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

That is wonderful! You will be doing something you are obviously very talented at.

I would consider starting your own business from home or speaking with a company who is willing to have your work from home.

With computers being everything they are now a days - it is very common that individuals work from home.

Alot of times the employers only problem with an employee working from home is that they have no control of it they are working or just collecting a check.
My advice regarding that is to see if you can't work out a deal where you get paid per design.
Or have it so your computer is networked with their company computers so they know you are working.

Anyway - you should be very proud of yourself for going back to work! I know alot of women your age who are too scared to work or persue a career because all the "kids" are taking their jobs. Way to jump in and prove yourself. That is so GREAT!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: going to finally have a career at 50 new
      #21037 - 09/17/03 01:10 PM
Nugget

Congratulations Paintlady!

I agree with Lana. As a graphic designer with IBS, I am very lucky to work for a very understanding employer who doesn't keep track of every time I am in the bathroom. I find that as long as I stick to a routine I do pretty good.

Go for it! Just make your employer aware of your situation from the very start. You may be surprised at what they will offer you. You will find that most places will do anything for good talent.

P.S. See my reply to your post on "Open Range"....My husband and I also liked the western flavor of the movie....maybe because we are Wyoming natives.

Re: You should be so proud! new
      #21044 - 09/17/03 02:11 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

That is awesome!!! Good for you starting a new career at 50. I am a nursing student now and you be surprised how many women there are in their 40's and 50's going back to school.
Good luck on your new adventure!!!

Your advantage: new
      #21045 - 09/17/03 02:12 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I know a lady who when asked what she has that other people can't offer the company she said:

"Well - you don't have to worry about me leaving on Maternity Leave" LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#21060 - 09/17/03 06:30 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I have no idea how you should go about starting your own business, but I just wanted to say that is so fantastic you went to school. And that you won the contest!! That's so cool!!

I'm sure it will all come together for you. Good luck!

Re: career at 50 Thanks everyone new
      #21082 - 09/17/03 09:16 PM
paintlady

Loc: Columbia, CA

Thanks everyone for all the encouaging words and good info.
Lana Marie - My middle name is Marie too.
Yes being a mature worker has it's good points. My son is 30 and has his own place so no babysitter problem and true I won't need maternity leave! LOL. I hadn't thought of those good points!

Nugget - I paint landscape, floral and a few people paintings in watercolor. I've had my stuff hanging in a few galleries (none right now), entered numerous Art shows, and even did House portraits for a local Realtor (she gave the small paintings as gift to her clients when she sold them a house.
All of it was fun but didn't make much of a living sorry to say,
but helped me feel I was contributing something all those years I couldn't work away from home because of IBS.

But now I know photoshop and Illustrator and what fun they are, can design logos so much faster and love to repair old photos. But I still try to fit in painting time even if only 10 minutes a day, Love the way watercolor can swirl and bloom on the page as it dries. Sometimes I just start painting without subject in mind, just drop in colors into clear water a wet-n-wet effect. As it dries interesting shapes appear and I see faces, flowers, animals etc... and go with it letting the paper tell me what the painting needs to be. It's fun and freeing and each is a experience. Also have carried small sketch book in glove box of my car. Never know when may need to wait somewhere and I can draw, call these my fun sketches so I don't judge them just enjoy the moment. Relaxing. Even though I'm somewhat shy I don't mind drawing in public, go figure guess I like being a little different in a fun way and the kids that come up and ask questions are treasures.
Boy, I,m talking a lot ... LOL that how I am about the subject of Art, can talk about it for hours.
Paintlady

Re: career at 50 Thanks everyone new
      #21104 - 09/18/03 07:45 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I'm not sure if you have any experience with websites, but those are a great way to get a business out there. Plus - it's almost guarenteed that you can work from home since you're operating the website out of there.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#21110 - 09/18/03 08:27 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Wow! I guess it's never too late to have a career! I'm proud of you, especially going back to school and then winning those contests. My sister-in-law is a graphic artist. She has worked out of her home and been employed with large firms. Right now she is doing a little of both. My son is wanting to major in this in college. I wish I knew how to advise you, but I don't. Just wanted to wish you luck! I think it's just a matter of making the right contacts. Maybe if you get a job, even part-time or temporarily, you can meet some people in the field and be able to do it on your own in the future.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1625

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review