All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
need advice on handling nutso supervisor
      #20988 - 09/17/03 08:10 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

On Monday at our staff meeting, our supervisor asked us not to be sick. Yes, really. Okay, so I wake up this morning before my alarm even goes off with an awful sore throat (and I've had one on and off for over a month, so I figure I better go to the doc this time, right?). I drink a couple glasses of water and don't feel better, and I wait a few minutes and don't feel better, so I call my supervisor at home at 6 a.m. to tell her I'm ill. And she says she has such-and-such board meeting at 11:30 and she missed the last one because I was sick (I've had 1 1/4 other sick days for abdominal pain and two doctors' appointments for the same reason) and she had to sub in my room, the implication being I shouldn't make her miss this one, too. Well, geez, is it really my fault she doesn't have any substitutes to call and so she has to sub for me? Come on! I have a doctor's appointment, but it's not till this afternoon, so I'm home all day. But I can't just baby myself without feeling sooo guilty for missing work! She does this every time--when I missed my other full day, I didn't call till 6:30 'cause that's when I got out of bed, and she said that if I'd called earlier, she'd have gone in to work at six so she could get her work done before covering for me. Um, yeah, but I wasn't awake at six.... When I went home sick two hours early, she accused me of having a panic attack (no, apparently what I have is an ulcer...I wonder why!). I swear, the woman is nuts. This isn't the first time I've dealt with a crazy supervisor--I had one last summer who might actually have been worse in some respects--but this is my first full-time job. I can't afford to lose it--I need the insurance--obviously!--and I actually really like what I'm doing, when I'm well and not irritated with my boss. I just don't know how to handle her. I think she thinks I'm a hypochondriac, but if she talked to my co-teacher and the parents of the kids in my class, I got asked like three times yesterday if I felt okay (no). Ergh! I'm just at the end of my rope! Is there some Dear Abby or Miss Manners way of dealing with a situation like this? 'Cause it's all new to me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need advice on handling nutso supervisor new
      #20991 - 09/17/03 08:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

FACT: When you work with children YOU GET SICK A LOT! I had strep 5 times last year...they thought they were gonna have to take my tonsils out (I taught kindergarten!) Two weeks of babysitting and I already have bronchitus.

We're in a very germy field (I babysit babies and older kids all day long...so I can relate!) We LOVE the kids...and they love us...but the germs come with the territory. People tell me I just have low immunity...but so what! It doesn't change the fact that I GET SICK ALL THE TIME! Whatever the reason, whatever I do to stay well, the germs are out there and we can't change that!

I would wear a mask and gloves to your jobs claming you don't want to get sick for your boss to miss anymore meetings!

Seriously, I wish I had some good advice. If you get any, PLEASE pass it on! It's difficult for me to miss work as I am the sole provider for my hubby and I this year! But if you're sick, you're sick!

I say pamper yourself and get lotsa rest! Feel better!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#21001 - 09/17/03 09:15 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Ouch, Tess.. that boss sounds brutal! Maybe ask your doctor to write you a couple notes when you go in so you can bring them in to show the supervisor? Most jobs don't require notes until 3 consecuative days of being sick, but maybe by bringing in the note you will show your supervisor that you really were sick and not trying to get out of work.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Edited by angylroses (09/17/03 09:17 AM)

#21080 - 09/17/03 09:10 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

First of all, nutso doesn't even begin to describe it. Incompetnt might be better. No, I think insensitive and a lousy excuse for a "supervisor". I like the idea of DR's notes but face it, you're dealing with a ya-hoo. Look where it's coming from. I don't know about the US - but can they LEGALLY deny you a sick day?
Would she rather you come in sick and infect all the babies!@#????? Then the parents would get angry and rightly so. You are doing the right thing by staying home. Next time you have a cold or something tell your supervisor that it's best not to infect the babies and that you have their health in mind as well as your own. They have an underdeveloped immune system (as you know) blah blah blah. Remind ya-hoo that!
Tess - I don't like this job. I'm worried about you. Teaching should not be like this. Let me know how you're doing. And if I could pass you a throat lozenge, I would. Hugs, Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#21088 - 09/18/03 01:42 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

This makes me so mad!!! I used to be a supervisor in retail,am out of it now thankfully,i know its a different line of work,but the qualities you have for the job should be the same,and that is to encourage and develop your staff,and be supportive,all of which you don't seem to be experiencing!! I have seen these kind of tactics being used before,and it angers me because people like this should not be in the postion they are in!!! Grrrrr!
Perhaps if you could get a medical certificate,this might help.Unfortunatley your supervisor needs a personality transplant!!
Don't feel guilty about being off,if you are sick,you need to get better,otherwise you will end up being even more sick in the long run.Lie on the sofa,with the duvet,and some good trashy tv!
I didn't mean to babble on for quite so long,but i hope you are feeling better soon,and don't let the supervisor get you down,you are good at what you do,sadly,she is not!
Hugs

--------------------
Morven

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1425 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1061

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review