All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Just a little question about the pill
      #207469 - 08/22/05 11:03 AM
caths

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: TX and MA

i was put on birth control to enduce my period...it had been almost 7 months since i had it. it was because my estrogen levels were too low. i'm only on my second month, but i'm going stop after this month because my mom is all about being "all natural" and really dislikes "unnecessary" medicine, like birth control, so she kind of instilled that belief in me. the only reason she was okay with it was because it was necessary for me to get my period. anyway, my question is, it's made me gain almost 10 lbs already since i started, do you think i'll lose some of that once i get off? what are ya'lls experiences with that and how it affects your mood/ibs/etc. i've done searches, but i think my situation is different that many posters since i'll have only been on it for 2 months. i'm hoping this will mean my ibs/mood won't really be affected. i don't know if anyone can even answer this, but just thought i'd put it out there. thanks!!

--------------------
.:IBS.:.C:...:pain.bloating.gas:.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well... new
      #207482 - 08/22/05 11:42 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I gained 25lbs on the pill, and so far, I haven't lost a pound of it. Of course, it hasn't even been a month, but still.

I think a lot of it depends on your metabolism. Mine is so slow it's practically nonexistent, and I'd have to work like hell to get the weight back off... going off the pill isn't going to be enough for me.

Re: Just a little question about the pill new
      #207494 - 08/22/05 12:12 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I have to agree w/your mom on this one. Birth control pills are so overprescribed to induce periods. You, as you said, have a hormone imbalance. Well, yes, birth control pills will give you your periods, but what do they do for the underlying cause of the imbalance? Nothing. They are a synthetic hormone that cause a crapload of side effects; weight gain being one. There are many natural options you can do to get your periods regulated. You should try to find a homeopath or natural pharmacist in your area to mix you up some bioidentical hormones. (Here is a link if you need info www.lenandjoe.com)
They are made w/plant extracts and DO NOT cause side effects. Before I got pregnant I had serious hormone issues and was able to regulate myself through natural means.

Anyway, I am off my soapbox now. You should be able to lose the weight, after awhile. It won't come off immediately as the drugs still hang out in your body for a bit. I hope things work out for you. Email me if you have any questions!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Just a little question about the pill new
      #207537 - 08/22/05 04:05 PM
caths

Thanks for the reply Christianne. I am actually currently taking herbal medicine from my acupunturist that is supposed to help my constipation from IBS and regulate my period. Would you reccommend I stop the pill and just rely on the herbs? Or should I wait until I get my second period (I did get it last month due to the pill). My acupuncturist said I could keep taking it until I'm regular since it had been so long and I need to rid my body of the "poison." Just wondering what your thoughts were

--------------------

Re: Well... new
      #207539 - 08/22/05 04:09 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

This is tricky because researchers say that the weight gain on the pill is a myth but then say it MAY increase your appetite. So basically they're saying it doesn't have a direct effect on your weight--but it still has an effect. They go on to say that weight gain is a rare side effect, but if you're sure it's related to the pill you're taking atm then you should see if you can take a different pill.

When I started taking the pill (about ten years ago), I happily thought I would gain some weight (I was underweight at the time), but my doctor (like those researchers) told me that was a myth and less than 4% of women gain weight as a direct cause of taking the pill. She explained that you can retain about two pounds of water and that many times women start taking the pill in college, when they're experiencing more stress, prehaps have bad eating habits, and they're metabolism just starts slowing down. I don't know if any studies have been done since then that would prove otherwise, but I still think you know your body better than any doctor and if you feel the need to switch to a different pill talk to your doctor about it.

Personally, I haven't experienced weight gain, but I have experienced mood changes and I had to switch pills about three times before I found one that worked for me. It's actually helped with my IBS by alleviating the painful cramps/periods that seemed to trigger attacks. Also, I've seen many women in my family suffer from endometriosis and fibroids, and I like that taking the pill reduces that risk for me. You'll probably have to weigh the pros and cons of taking the pill for yourself, but I hope this helps just a little.

#207551 - 08/22/05 04:43 PM
caths

hmmm that is very interesting. i do actually agree that it increases my appetite, that is what i attribute to my weight gain. the only thing that makes me think that the chemicals are making me gain weight is the fact that my boobs are getting bigger (which aint a bad thing) and get sore when i start back on at the beg of the month. hope that wasn't tmi

--------------------

#207556 - 08/22/05 04:51 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

No, not TMI! LOL. I don't think that's possible here. It usually takes about three months for your body to adjust to the pill, so some of your side effects may go away (I'm sorry if you mentioned already how long you've been on the pill). Of course, please talk to your doctor if you decide to stop taking the pill altogether and let him/her know if you plan on taking any herbs. Natural isn't always better or safer and acupuncturists aren't necessarily experts in medicine/chemistry or gynecological health.

I do like and admire that you're taking an integrative approach to your overall health. I wish more doctors were open to alternative medicine. I hope you find something healthy and safe that works for you.

I agree with Maria ... new
      #207577 - 08/22/05 05:44 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've read the studies about weight gain being a myth, too. I also did not gain weight when I got on the pill. My weight has ended up fluctuating since then, but it has correlated with the amount of lasagna and Cherry Coke I consumed (pre-IBS!).

I loved being on birth control, but I went off it because I want to get pregnant, and it has been such a nightmare. If I ever go on birth control again, I will make sure I take it for the rest of my life.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Yeah, I should have said... new
      #207584 - 08/22/05 06:10 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...that the weight gain with the pill was because it increased both my appetite and random uncontrollable food cravings, not because of the pill itself. And I'm sorry, but that WAS the fault of the pill, whether studies back it or not - I'm not on the pill now, and everything's back to normal. (Except my weight. )

And since all pills are different, I'll add that I was on OrthoCyclen. There are lower-hormone birth control options that don't seem to have these effects. (Like the patch, which I'm on now.) I know you're going to consider natural options, but I just thought I'd toss that out there, since this topic has come up before, and people doing a search might find it useful.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2039 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review