All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Had a kittie... for two and a half days...
      #206744 - 08/19/05 10:00 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Then I had to put the thing to sleep.
I had thought it was fate... I was walking up to the shelter to look at kitties and a guy walks up and says "here for a cat?" and I go, "Maybe"... he "says" he found this stray cat that was obviously a housecat (declawed and very friendly) and his daughter fed it for a couple of days but they have two cats and didn't want it. If I took it from him right then I could avoid the $95 adoption fees (that DOESN"T include spay and neutering!).
So, I knew it was a bad idea, but trying to live in the moment and go with "fate", I take the cat. My BF checks the crotch for me and tells me it is a girl. We figure (by completely uneducated guesses) that it is a couple years old. It is hard to tell cause she is soooo skinny. She was also missing hair on her legs, belly and half of her tail. She was soooo beautiful though and reminded me of a cat my sis used to have.
That was late Sunday afternoon and I planned to take her to the vet WEd morning. Well, since I had NO idea if she had feline leukimia or AIDS or something I decided not to get too attached ... HAHA. And if she needed alot of antibiotics or meds I was gonna take her to the shelter, and figured I wouldn't feel too bad because she was gonna wind up there anyways to begin with.
WEll, I lasted til Tues night until I started telling friends and family about her, and named her Julie, from the character that turns into a zombie in REturn of the Living Dead 3. The both have very pretty eyes. I had noticed that she was pottying ALOT, but tried not to worry. I had fell in love.
Then, first surprise at the vet... "she" was a guy! Second surprise, "she" was pretty old (they could tell from buildup on her chompers).
I was laughing at this and when the vet didn't laugh back I got nervous. She told me that when a cat potties excessively they automatically check the blood sugar. "Her's" was through the roof. Julie had diabetes and would go into diabetic shock at any minute if I didn't start giving her insulin shots twice a day, get her insulin adjusted every so often, special diet, etc.
With school, work, and moving into a new apt with my BF I knew that this wasn't gonna happen. I cried my eyes out!
It was pretty much devote all my time and money to Julie's care, OR have her euthanized. I know in the end it was better that I had picked her up and gave her a nice last couple days in a comfy apt with loving people, rather than her dying in pain of diabetic shock in a shelter in a little cage, but I still feel alittle responsible. It was also a kick in the face to want a cat SOOOO bad for two years and then get one and two days and almost two hundred dollars later in hospital bills have it put to sleep.
My mother's theory is that the guy really was the owner and knew all this. If so, he is horrible. He used me to get away from his responsibility and had ME deal with all that heart ache. I am feeling ALOT better about it... BUT to make things worse, later that night I was out with Mike, and he called his cousin back (that he still currently lives iwth), and she told him that she gave away HIS cat. I can't bellieve someone would do that! He is soooo torn up about it, and I don't blame him! I loved that cat, I hope we find out where they took him, cause his cousin isn't telling. He hadn't a chance to tell her yet that he was moving out with me and that we were taking the cat with us.
She also knew that I have been wanting a cat, especially an all black cat (like his was), and that I would have taken him if she needed him out of the house. It is a really odd situation, because she isn't really a mean person. We think that maybe something fishy is going on. It is a good thing that Mike is getting out of there anyways.

Agh! Everything happens at once, doesn't it?
On the good side, I have found out where to get some kitties, so I might try again, when I have more time to spend with the little guy/girl.

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ohhh new
      #206759 - 08/19/05 10:52 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

That's so sad... I'm sorry, Sheri.

I have a hunch that the guy really was the owner, because my stepmom worked with an animal rescue, and they saw a LOT of that kind of thing. You'd be amazed at how many people dump an old or ailing pet - another one of my pet peeves. I'm not saying that people should try to take care of an animal that they really can't care for, but seriously... dumping it on an unsuspecting stranger (or, worse, in the middle of the woods - I've seen that too) is really screwed up.

Ok, ok, I'm done ranting.

I know it's sad, my heart would be broken too, but you did the right thing, and you did give "her" a good, loving last couple of days, rather than an agonizing death... you did the best you could. *hugs*

Re: Had a kittie... for two and a half days... new
      #206760 - 08/19/05 10:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh Sheri, I think the man who gave her to you knew very well that she was sick and he couldn't afford her. Or didn't want the responsibility!

I'm so sorry but take comfort in the fact that you gave her a nicer last day or two than she probably had in ages.

Try again for another cat once you and Mike are settled.

(((hugs))))

Re: Ohhh new
      #206768 - 08/19/05 11:30 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm so sorry, your story broke my heart. Big hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#206835 - 08/19/05 03:55 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that It's absolutely terrible. And I agree that the person who gave you the cat may have very well known what was wrong with him...and that's just awful.

But you're right, you did give him a loving environment for a few days which was probably loads more than what he was getting in his previous home.

I hope the experience doesn't disuade you from getting another kitty...just make sure the one you get has been fully checked out by a vet.

Kelly

#206836 - 08/19/05 04:10 PM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

Very sad indeed! Wow...you are so great to have taken that cat with open arms. I am sure "Julie" appreciated the love and affection during her stay with you. Boy...it makes me think of my "furchild" and how I will ever deal with her passing......I get all uptight if she pukes or has abnormal poops.....never mind diabetes!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2534 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 459

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review