Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I feel like I'm drowning...
      #206633 - 08/18/05 08:31 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Could totally use some help here. As some of you know, I'm off on a disability leave right now because of mental illness...nothing really serious, primarily Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder. Anyways, without having work to keep me busy, I've been finding myself sorta wondering a lot about my life. I don't like my job...it's a good stop-gap measure, pays reasonably well and there are nice people, but it's not what I want to do with my life. I'm pursuing a University degree very slowly, but I'm not even sure if what I'm doing there is what I want to do with my life.

Anyways, I've been having these mini-breakdowns lately...crying and stuff and it always makes me feel like "what am I doing with my life." It could just be because I do so little right now, but that's only because my anxiety has gotten to the point where it's getting hard to leave the house.

I always wanted to be a writer, but abandoned that idea because I considered it "unrealistic"...similar to people who want to be singers or actors. However, I'm starting to wonder if it really is unrealistic. I've got the discipline, I could totally use a way to make money that I could do from home, and I used to be quite good at it. English was always my best subject, I won many writing awards throughout highschool and my teachers were always telling me to stick with it and try and hone my skills.

But really, I don't know if I could deal with the rejection that could potentially come with trying to do something like write. And, even if I got something written, I wouldn't even know where to begin to get it published...no clue

Anyways, can someone offer some nice words of wisdom or something? I'm sick of crying and feeling so useless all the time.

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I feel like I'm drowning... new
      #206645 - 08/18/05 10:22 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Kelly,
Do you like to journal?
It's how I voice my probs, worries, ideas and get a second look at past experiences. Journaling also a chance to figure things out and get through my down days.
Lots of writers journal daily.

I'm so sorry your having such a rough time.
Hang in there.
Paintlady

Edited by paintlady (08/18/05 10:40 PM)

#206737 - 08/19/05 09:25 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Kelly! You're only 22, I don't think you're supposed to know what you want at that age. I'm sure that doesn't help though.

What are your passions in life? What are you good at?

I meditate and that helps me stay centered. I also do yoga. have you considered either of those options to help with your anxiety and to give you some clarity?

Big hugs.

#206739 - 08/19/05 09:35 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

If you can write, then write. It won't support you unless you are super lucky and prolific, but if it's in you, do it. My brother Frank is a teacher at Long Beach City College and is working on his fifth book. Frank X. Gaspar is his name. He has gotten all kinds of awards etc. I even took the picture used on the fly leaf of his novel. I digress ...
Even if you just write for yourself for now you will get so much out of it. Maybe you can start by getting some stuff in local magazines.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#206757 - 08/19/05 10:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm so sorry your having such a bad time of it right now. But I agree, you're still young and its ok you don't know what you want to do. Maybe you could use some of this down time right now to contact a publisher or someone who knows about writing and get some ideas on how things work. I think BL here has done some writing for papers and such, maybe she could help a little more.

Your a great person and will get through this. Hang in there. Lots of love and big hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#206789 - 08/19/05 12:51 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hey, kiddo. There's lots of jobs in writing - especially when you consider newspapers and magazines. If you're good at it and you like it, pursue it. Be confident - sounds like you're won serious awards for this so go for it! It sounds like your GAD is talking with all the crying etc.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: I feel like I'm drowning... *DELETED* new
      #206883 - 08/19/05 08:42 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Kelly new
      #206892 - 08/19/05 11:18 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Kelly,

I am sorry to hear that you are still going through such a rough patch in your life right now. Try to keep in mind that it is only temporary, and you WILL figure it out.. it just might take some time!
You and I are the same age, so I know how you are feeling when you don't know what you want to do and feel like you should but I agree with what some of the others said too, it is still pretty young and you don't HAVE to have everything figured out yet.
I don't know if you are the same as me, but I do find that when I have so much time off I can get myself feeling worse. I used to try and find myself routine every day.. Like, I will always get up no later than suchandsuch a time, I will then go for a walk, I will then go to the library, or drugstore, or somewhere. I will buy only enough groceries for today, so I need to go out again tomorrow.. that sort of thing. It helped me feel like I was still doing something every day, even if they were only small things.
As for pursuing your Uni degree, how are you doing that? And in what? I ask because I know that there are SO MANY courses that you can do online now that you could study from home pretty easily. Even the really good Universities here have loads of distance classes.
Are you taking writing in school? My best friend just graduated from University with a double major in History and Creative Writing and she just finished writing a novel. She is an AMAZING writer, really exceptional.. and she is having trouble getting it the attention it deserves. If you do have something you want published, let me know if you have any questions 'cause I know some stuff about it now since she has gone through this.
But like the others say, it is hard. It's something that you usually have to do as a hobby more than a job at first. You should totally do it if you want to give it a try, it's not impossible or anything but you do need to make sure that you have other support, you know? As for rejection, there is no way to avoid that.. Even if you write something brilliant, somebody won't like it.. even if a hundred people love it. Especially when you start out, that IS something you need to be prepared for.. but it doesn't mean anything.
I loved taking Creative Writing courses at college, I thought they were just great. Lots of interacting with other people in a really cool way, really interesting people.. I'd totally recommend taking those part-time courses if they are available.. and if you haven't already!

Have you thought about getting a less stressful job? I know you aren't working right now, but if you do need to go back... what about something that is dealing less with irate people and doesn't agrivate your anxiety conditions?

Good luck, Kelly, we're all here for you!!
**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#206909 - 08/20/05 12:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Sweetie, when you're feeling a bit stronger, you'll realise that of course you can do this if you want to. There are books in the library on how to start, etc so why not check one out soon?

#206948 - 08/20/05 09:18 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Kelly, the others have some great advice -- I especially agree that you need to keep busy! Free time is lovely but too much of it is a little self-destructive.

I have known all my life that what I want to do with my life is write. Period. I have never wavered from this conviction. Unfortunately, it's tough to support yourself this way. This depends on what kind of writing you want to to do -- "write" is a little vague. Journalism or technical writing is probably your best shot at being able to actually feed yourself coming out of the gate. Most novelists/poets do not make enough money to support themselves. And unfortunately, I am a novelist! The John Grishams and J.K. Rowlings of the world are rare. If you write romance novels, I think the average Harlequin pays somewhere between $3,000-$5,000. After taxes that's nothing. And if you can only write/publish three of them a year -- yup, that means you're broke.

So, I developed my plan when I was 10 or so. I have always been super-organized and a terrific typist, so I decided to become a secretary or some other kind of boring office job where I'd make enough to get by that would leave me with most of my time and mental energies free to pursue my writing. Unfortunately, I didn't stick to my plan. When I got older, I became more and more involved with computers and ended up getting a two-year degree in networking, which has led to work in the field. I really enjoy my job, plus it's very lucrative for someone my age -- but I work a lot of hours and it is very creative, challenging work that leaves me mentally drained when I do get home. So, my writing has really suffered.

If you do want to write, there is nothing that'll stop you -- you don't need any special equipment or investments, you just need to sit there and do it! But, as the old adage goes -- don't quit your day job. It's tough to make a living at writing, and if you quit your job in anticipation of doing so, you will probably just get ultra-stressed, and trust me, stress is not conducive to writing.

If I were in your position -- I'd accelerate your work on the university degree and start taking more writing classes. See if you can get by working part-time. Borrow money if you have to -- don't be afraid of student loans, in the US pretty much everyone has them these days. Slant your degree to something you can fall back on or that would be useful. There are a lot of would-be writers out there teaching English. Technical writing is also good even if you're more interested in writing short stories.

And remember that writing is an art, and like any art, you don't have to get paid for it to enjoy it. If I never get published, I'm OK with that -- I have spent so many lovely hours immersed in my own worlds (which actually makes me sound like I'm ready for a straitjacket, but never mind that) that the non-monetary rewards are enough. However, monetary rewards are always certainly appreciated.

Being a writer can be really discouraging -- yes, you will get rejected. It's inevitable. No matter how good you are, not everyone will think you're great. The good part is that usually the more you get rejected, the more you get used to it. You'll probably cry the first time, but it gets easier. It also takes a lot of time to become a good writer. I can't remember who said this, but he was giving advice to writers and he said something like, "Write something. Then throw it away." Someone else also said that on average your first three novels will never be worth printing.

Obviously you've got the one basic prequisite for this -- talent! You wouldn't have gotten awards if your writing stunk. So you CAN do this. It's just a matter of figuring out a plan to decide how you want to go about it.

And if the writing thing is just an idea and you still waver about it, go talk to a guidance counselor. They are trained to help people exactly in your situation. If you meet one and don't like him/her, go to another one. As in any profession, there are some that are real jerks that'll just make you feel worse. Go take some of those personality tests that are supposed to help decide what you want to do. I think they're mostly a load of nonsense, but they can jog you into thinking about things you hadn't considered before. You're not the first and you certainly won't be the last to have this dilemma, so there are all kind of resources out there.

Please keep us all updated.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5926 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1635

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review