All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
In about 48 hours,
      #206442 - 08/18/05 10:01 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

we will be moving our son into his dorm room! I am getting nervous. I've already shed some tears this week.

He is our youngest so we will be empty-nesters after this weekend. That is hard to believe.

I am going to need some support next week. I know the house is going to be so quiet. Ok, I'm not going to cry.... yet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My sister just moved her son... new
      #206443 - 08/18/05 10:03 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

into our alma mater and did fine. You will too!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: In about 48 hours, new
      #206448 - 08/18/05 10:28 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

That's tough. I know my parents felt the same way many years ago after I left.

#206454 - 08/18/05 10:35 AM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

I clearly remember the day when my parents drove me to university and helped me unpack. My mom was quiet the whole ride. But when we got to the dorm, she did a 360, she loved where I was living, she fancied up my room and met a few of the students on my floor. I think in part she was nervous about me being on my own...how would I manage?
Needless to say, I called home quite frequently. I was anxious to go home just as my mom was anxious for me to visit. The seperation made us closer! I hope that you and your son find the same experience.

#206463 - 08/18/05 10:58 AM

Unregistered

Aww that has got to be tough! I know my parents are so sad about my one younger brother going off to school next year since he's a senior this year. At least they still have one more to go so they won't be quite alone yet. And since my school happened to be here I didn't leave, but I plan on moving in January for my internship and they're sad about that.

It's funny from the kid's point of view though because in the change of scenery you just feel like it's a new thing and it's exciting and scary and all that - but for the people you leave behind it's got to weird since they are still at home but now things are different because someone is missing. I can see how that would be hard!

Well cherish your last bit of time with him before he goes. And I'm sure he'll call you all the time - boys are like that

#206465 - 08/18/05 10:59 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Big hugs...hopefully after "seeing" where he will be it might make it easier... you can help him settle in. We will be here for ya!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Don't Fret new
      #206489 - 08/18/05 12:06 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

As a university staff person, I love having the students come back (okay maybe not today the ones who keep pulling the fire alarm or overloading the elevator so it buzzes) but we are excited to have them all back. I work in a dorm and it has been great seeing all the interactions between the parents and students. I love my job today!!!

There have been a few tears...but mostly from the parents who are having a hard time realizing it. The students have been great about introducing their parents to their new floormates. Just think of this you aren't just moving your son in, your gaining an even larger family of sons (or daughters if it is a coed floor).

Make sure you remember tools (drill, flat/Phillips head screwdrivers, hammer, duct tape) and possibly a hand cart. Other than that you should be set. Good luck with the move.

-Michelle

#206520 - 08/18/05 01:22 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Not that I have any experience with this, but it's a natural part of life. You'll get through it. Plus, you've got outrageous phone bills to look forward to! LOL. You'll get through it. Can you book yourself in for a pedicure or something frivolous in the next few days after he leaves? Go and enjoy it.

And tell your realtor to stop showing you places where cats live.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Been there..... new
      #206523 - 08/18/05 01:27 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi BL,

You will shed some tears.....it just can't be helped....believe me. I've had to do it several times.

But, it does get better after a couple of weeks. You will adjust....I'm sure of it. Just try to keep in touch with e-mails or letters or phone calls. That's what I did and it really helped. I sent care packages and fun stuff and that helped, too.

Just wait till they get married & have a baby and then leave.....boo hoo hoo! Phone calls and picture e-mails have helped me so much in between visits.

Oh, and keep very, very busy.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#206549 - 08/18/05 03:33 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Awwww...BL there will always be somebody on board to keep you busy typing while you are lonely.

Will keep you all in my prayers as you and hubby begin a new chapter in your life and of coarse your son.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 939 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 701

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review