All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
colonoscopy (sp??)
      #205812 - 08/16/05 06:50 AM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

I am scheduled this coming Tuesday. I have heard many people say that their IBS symptoms became worse after the procedure...??? The doctor didn't think that I really needed it done as he is 99% sure it is IBS and now that I am on the meds I am better. I said I would like it done for my own sanity. Any feedback would be appreciated as I am also nervous about the prep.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: colonoscopy (sp??) new
      #205818 - 08/16/05 07:15 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

The prep is the worst part. If you have the phosphsoda prep, it is one of the most vile things I've ever tasted. Mix it with something that isn't a favorite beverage in the first place, because I guarentee you won't ever want to taste either again. I know I never want to taste diet 7-Up again.

My sister doesn't even like using the glass she used for her prep.

My IBS was no worse after my endoscopy/colonoscopy and I remember absolutely nothing of the actual procedure. Good luck.

#205837 - 08/16/05 07:54 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Its been a LONG time since I had mine done, I was 18 at the time and I'm 35 now! I was already in the hospital because of severe abdominal pain. I don't remember much of the actualy procedure itself. Its a good thing to do, even as you said, for just a piece of mind! Good luck!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#205863 - 08/16/05 08:55 AM
MichelleB

Thanks for sharing. I have heard about the "prep!"...if I do go through with it...I am going to need my mum!...my hubby does try his best...but in cases like this...mums are the answer!

#205865 - 08/16/05 08:57 AM
MichelleB

Thanks Michele...I am just a little nervous that it'll cause a flare up..I have been feeling good for the last...week! I go back to work soon and well as you know...I am sure....tummy problems at work at a pain in the butt! I hope I remember nothing of it too afterwards.

#205876 - 08/16/05 09:26 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

The prep is definitely the worst part. I'm a D, and I really did not have a flare up after the procedure. Just eat carefully, and hopefully you won't, either!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#205884 - 08/16/05 10:29 AM
MichelleB

Thanks! I will eat properly before and afterwards!

#205887 - 08/16/05 10:35 AM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

I did have a severe flair up for about a week and a half afterwards. I'm IBS-D. I could only eat the vary basic stuff like french bread, cream of rice and water. I had the sigmoscopy (same as colonscopy except they don't sedate you) and the barium enama x-ray. I must say the barium e-ray is the most wretched thing know to man.

#205912 - 08/16/05 12:02 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

The prep sucks. I didn't fidn that my IBS got worse at all. I don't think you should worry about that at all. Get it done, you will be fine.

--------------------

#206021 - 08/16/05 06:19 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

One thing I do remember after the test was for a few days I was passing flaky/squigly like stuff. I think the colonoscopy kinda cleans ya out and gets everything up there all loose and stuff. It wasn't painful at all and didn't make my IBS worse in the least bit. If anything just having the piece of mind that you had it and it comes back fine is enough to make your IBS better(since you don't have that anxiety of worrying something's wrong!).

I didn't do all 3 glasses required of the phosphate soda.Just couldn't get the 3rd one down and I ended up cleaned out so if you can't get it all down, don't worry you'll still probably be cleaned out. It's yucky stuff as everyone has said. One tip my coworker gave me was to drink it with a straw and put the straw way back at the back of your throat and you really don't taste it.

Good luck! Really try to go through with it. You'll really feel better knowing everything is ok.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1378 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1322

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review