All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Question for Canadians
      #204736 - 08/11/05 05:50 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Anyone know any good websites that I can find information on cost of living, job opportunities, etc in various places in Canada? No reason, just curious...

Sorry for being MIA and than asking for help! Been soo so so busy, I check in on the boards every now and again, but no time to post or reply.

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Canadians new
      #204793 - 08/11/05 09:15 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hmmm, moving to Canada perhaps...if it's stats you are looking for...look at www.statscan.com or if you have just plain questions about certain cities then check out the city per city.

Don't know what else to tell you with such little info - spill the beans missy LOL

Hope all is ok with you

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#204795 - 08/11/05 09:20 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey,

Try these websites:

working.canada.com - If that doesn't work (sometimes the link doesn't or something) go to canada.com and then go to employment or careers or whatever it is.

www.monster.ca

www.workopolis.ca

Hope this helps!!
Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Alberta is a great place for work! new
      #204810 - 08/11/05 11:36 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

We have the lowest taxing, the lowest cost of gas, and a pretty low cost of living. You can go to the Canada official site and find tons of information here. www.gc.ca

I love my country and my province. It only sucks if you're a teacher or a nurse trying to get inout of university. otherwise our economy rocks. And healthcare here is WONDERFUL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Come to Nova Scotia!! new
      #204858 - 08/12/05 07:13 AM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

There are few jobs, we pay high taxes -- but it's really pretty!!

A few more links that might help you out:

Global Cost of Living by City
Toronto - No. 82
Vancouver - No. 87
Calgary - No. 98
Montreal - No. 107
Ottawa - No. 122
http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving3.htm to compare to cities that you know about.

All you ever want to know about the Canadian economy.
http://canadianeconomy.gc.ca/english/economy/

- Vincent

Re: Come to Nova Scotia!! new
      #204862 - 08/12/05 07:23 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Is the higher number a better rating or is a lower number better? Just curious. I have a book out from the library now called "Cities Ranked and Rated" and it include about 40 different areas in Canada.

But I need a job and a low cost of living!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Which areas have the mildest winters? new
      #204864 - 08/12/05 07:26 AM
Augie

Or doesn't that exist in Canada? How cold does it get?

--------------------
~ Beth

#204885 - 08/12/05 07:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Sheri!!!! Spill the beans!

What province, if it's Ontario, I can give you LOTS of sites!

You can use www.Monster.ca of course.

Do tell.............

Re: Which areas have the mildest winters? new
      #204891 - 08/12/05 08:20 AM
Sara-Sage

Hey Bethie! Vancouver and Victoria, BC have the mildest winters.

#204911 - 08/12/05 09:07 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

Hey Bethie! Vancouver and Victoria, BC have the mildest winters.
Yep, we sure do! And the prettiest girls, ha ha, just kidding. It does still get cold, though.. just not CRAZY cold like it does in some of the other provinces.

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#204912 - 08/12/05 09:08 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Prettiest girls are in Ottawa, ahem, well one specifically, in my eyes!! LOL.

--------------------

Hey Tina! new
      #204938 - 08/12/05 10:08 AM
Augie

Thanks! Too bad I'm looking at Canada at the same time you may be leaving!

I think it may be a tad too cold for me though! I hate cold weather!

--------------------
~ Beth

How cold is cold?-nt new
      #204939 - 08/12/05 10:08 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hey Tina! new
      #204950 - 08/12/05 10:29 AM
Sara-Sage

Canada is definitely COLD in the winter. Brrrr. Just thinking of wonter is yucky.

Re: How cold is cold?-nt new
      #205003 - 08/12/05 11:57 AM
Sara-Sage

-40 celcius on the WORST February day which is... 40 F.

#205004 - 08/12/05 11:57 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Tommy.

#205074 - 08/12/05 04:28 PM
Sheri01

I can't tell!!!! Hmmmm... but I tell you guys everything! If someone coaxes it out of me maybe... but I promised secrecy! well, I probably won't be online again all weekend... (you can tell I am writing this as I am thinking, won't bother to edit)...

ok ok here goes:

I am running away! In january! With my new bf I haven't told you guys about yet. Plenty of time to change my mind if things don't seem like they are working out... but honestly, I have NEVER met someone that is just so RIGHT. I can't even see to the point that things wouldn't be working. If I made a list of everything I would find in my dream guy he matches up almost perfectly. He is definately not perfect, but perfect for me. His name is Mike. I don't have any dig pics yet or I would post one. I know that things go through thier honeymoon phases, but I never felt like this right off of the bat with someone. And we are both so cramped in Jersey and have always wanted to take off and run away, but haven't had the opportunity... then we meet each other and it is a match made in heaven! There is nothing that important holding us back here, and we both feel the need to explore and see what else is out there.
I know it is completely crazy to think someone would do this, but I need to do crazy things like this now when I can get away with it. If it sucks, I just come home! That simple. I am soooo excited! This is the way I believe people should live life, following your dreams and just getting yourself out there, even if you get hurt or things go wrong you need to take these chances or life will pass you by! We are completely filling each other up with life, it is so great. *end mushy stuff*

So, we are trying to pick a place that we could survive and that is far enough away. It doesn't need to be permanent. Somewhere completely different. The Canada idea came up, and we checked in to it and apparently it is not that hard to get citizenship. I think I might want to start off in the US though, but going to Canada might interest us. For some reason, neither of us are sure why, but Memphis Tennessee interests us and we are looking in to it. We were also considering Vegas, and ummm.... I can't remember now but we have talked about sooo many other states and cities.

But this is ultra secret, and we know that if we tell people they will just try to talk us out of it or stomp on our dream. I *am* being reckless, but I am being a safe, cautious reckless. If that makes any sense haha. So, only positive reinforcement replies please . I know all the things that could go wrong, I am not stupid. Just alittle crazy

yikes, I feel so bad for telling the secret, but I would explode if I didn't tell *someone* !!!

love always,

Sheri

oh, and once i get my home computer back up and running I hope to be around more! Especially now that job #2 ends next week, I am gonna miss my kids!

--------------------
-Sheri

#205175 - 08/13/05 07:16 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

You've got some guts girl!!! I admire that! I'd be such a wuss about that! I just love 'home' and am not one for big changes....but I think it's awesome how some people can do that! My brother is like that.

Good luck..

And, yeah there's a honeymoon period...but a lot of people 'knew' they had found the right guy w/in a few weeks, me included!

--------------------
~Cara~

Sheri new
      #205220 - 08/13/05 10:07 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Wow Sheri. it takes a lot of courage to even think about what you are going to do. I wish you all the best in the world. There will always be naysayers out there who will bring up the negative. You do what you feel is right. Just be sure to think EVERYTHING through. If you still feel the same way, then do it. No one knows your relationship except for yourself.

Just don't move to Vegas. There are too many distractions out there for young people. Memphis is a cool town. And of course, I love Canada.

God Bless Sheri and let us know what happens. I am really happy for you

--------------------

#205246 - 08/13/05 01:21 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

WOW Sheri! I say go for it! You are young and you aren't stupid. You know the consequences that you may face. Heck I have a friend that was just like you at your age. She went from Texas, to North Carolina to Virginia and ended up back in PA. She traveled and finally settled down and had two kids. It can work. She was reckless too I thought but it's what she wanted to do. How can anyone stop you? You are gonna find a way. And if this guy feels right, then he quite possibly could be the "one". I don't recall you talking like this about the last BF you had so it sounds that Mike might be the one. LIke you said, you have till January technically so if he ends up being a total jerk from now until then, you can bail!!!

Good luck with your plans and please, please keep us posted. Oh, and question.....would you still be an Eagles fan?????? Ughhh don't even start me on the Teeee Oooooooo soap opera hehe which I"M LOVING@!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Thanks everyone! new
      #205696 - 08/15/05 05:37 PM
Sheri01

For the info AND the support! You are all the greatest!!! I really mean that! And yes, LIsa, I will ALWAYS be an Eagles fan, Mike is a huge Eagles fan heehee.
We decided since my lease is up in like two weeks that we are gonna try getting a place together, as a trial run before we move somewhere across the country and are gonna try living together. This way we can both save money, too... he lives with a cousin that he pays rent to, but things haven't been going so well there, so we both need a place and a roomie, so it should work out well. If not, oh well, [censored] happens!!

I also got a new kitty too! It was fate! I will maybe start a new post on this the next couple days if I have a free moment, still so busy! But my last day with my kids are tomorrow, so I will have *some* more time soon, just intime for school for ME to start!

--------------------
-Sheri

#205822 - 08/16/05 07:29 AM
Sara-Sage

Sheri, where did you meet this guy? Keep in mind that you're still sooo young, try to think things though thoroughly That's my advice. but being happt rocks and I'm so pleased for you gal!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 809 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1112

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review