All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
I hate to come here to whine but...
      #203010 - 08/05/05 07:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

my job has fallen out from under me really. I found out some weeks ago that ny boss lost his contract with the electric company for meter reading. He warned that if I could work for the new contractor (a bigger operation) they would pay way less. He was right. They strung us out waiting to hear if we were hired and what they offered for pay (made promises of telling us long ago and that took the time some would have used to look for other work!). Finally today I was called late and told what they will pay, it is about 1/3 less than I am making now! I can get by on that, not happily but without undue anxiety of bills. Frankly I have been making more for 4 years than I thought I ever would. I cannot really make any more elsewhere, but the job is so hard, dangerous and hard on my vehicle that I need the good pay for this job. I will be going from about $30 an hour to about $20 for the same work. Does anyone know anything about unemployment? I will look into it Monday AM but they won't let you look even on the website on nonbusiness hours. My friend who works with me quit and might take uneployment and go to school for something for 6 months. That is what she thinks anyway. I am still looking at my options but this is pretty upseting. I don't really like the work and some days it is brutal with dogs and the weather and all. To think of making so much less might make it impossible to do the job on a day to day basis. I know I will scowl and snap at customers. At least up until now on bad days I just thought 'well at least I am making over $30 an hour!' Any advice on jobs/unemployment would be helpful. I wouldn't mind getting some training in something that I could work at home. Despite my casual grammar here I am actually pretty school smart and can learn anything. My friend might learn medical encoding. I would do something like that if it could be from home. Ok that is my story.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Unemployment not available unless you are layed off or fired... new
      #203018 - 08/05/05 07:29 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

at least that is how it is in Texas. Even then the unemployment will not come anywhere near $20.00 an hour! Don't you have really reasonable hours? Perhaps you could take the job making $20.00 an hour and then look for other employment on your off days.

$20.00 an hour is great $$ in Houston anyway. I worked in HR and payroll for 4 years and you would not believe how little some people make. $20.00 an hour is a blessing.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Unemployment not available unless you are layed off or fired... new
      #203028 - 08/05/05 08:02 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

That's how it worked when I lived in Iowa, too.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, Minnie.

Re: Unemployment not available unless you are layed off or fired... new
      #203029 - 08/05/05 08:03 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have no advise regarding American labour laws and I apologize, but I did want to say that I am thinking about you. I hate the stress that is affiliated with jobs and job searching, my heart goes out to you.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Yup, agreed new
      #203037 - 08/05/05 08:19 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Anywhere that I've lived (NY, NJ, MD, VA, ME), unemployment works the same way - you have to be actually laid off or fired from your job. And having been on unemp once, I can say that it pretty much sucks... for you, it would be WAY less than $20/hr's worth, and that bit about them paying for school is hogwash.

I know it doesn't help you, but $20/hr is HUGE money up here. My boyfriend works his a$$ off at a stressful job that he truly hates for $7.50/hr, and that's the best a person can get here. I know your situation stinks, but count your blessings before you walk out!

Re: Yup, agreed new
      #203118 - 08/06/05 08:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm sorry about your big salary drop. It is hard to take a big cut when you will be doing the same job.

But as others have said, $20 and hour is still fantastic pay. I only make $11 an hour for a pretty "high" demand job that wanted me to get a Masters degree on top, but didn't want to help me pay for that degree.

I would stay put, Little Minnie. I know you feel so cheated after putting in so much time and doing the same work for so less money...and you work hard ! Out in that heat and horrible winters too. I don't think I could do it! I'm a whimp when it comes to hot and cold weather. Give me heat and AC! But don't leave the job until you are sure there isn't anything better out there.

Good Luck with your decision.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I hate to come here to whine but... new
      #203133 - 08/06/05 09:33 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Pay cuts suck. Sorry to hear about it. Like everyone else has said, here in IA you can't get unemployment if you quit -- I'm guessing it's probably the same where you are.

I know everyone's heard it before but it's true -- it's much easier to find a new job when you have a job.

In my last job I got sent around to different hospitals and if you are a smart person, you'd probably go crazy doing medical coding/transcription. It is a hideously boring job! Not all hospitals will let you work from home, either, and the one hospital that did have some at-home transcriptionists were pretty tough on them.

If you want to go back to school, do it for something you know you will enjoy, rather than just "something you can do at home". I also highly recommend starting out part-time at night to make sure you know you do want to do it before you quit your job.

Good luck! I wouldn't last three days as a meter reader, let alone three years, so I am in awe of you.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: I hate to come here to whine but... new
      #203166 - 08/06/05 02:21 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hey, Tamara--

I've heard the same thing about unemployment that everyone else is saying. I don't really have any advice for you, except maybe to try it with the new company to see if it's what you expect, and then make your decision from there.

Good luck!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

I don't think I was clear enough new
      #203215 - 08/06/05 05:45 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I AM getting layed off. I can take the job with the new contractor if I want and it will be my same job I have now. So I AM eligible for unemployment. Another thing I am not getting is -doesn't unemployment pay based on what your income is? So if I made $100,000 a year (for instance) wouldn't I get pretty huge unemployment if laid off? So I make about $1700 a month before taxes, how much do you think I will get for unempployment? I am NOT paid hourly- those are just rough figures. I am paid per meter and have 4 routes (about 1 a week). I can get them done as fast as I want and that works out to about $30 an hour. Route 1 makes about $600 before taxes and I am able to get it done in less than 19 hours. Route 2 pays about $300 before taxes and I can get it done in 9 hours. See how it works? The new company would pay $416 for route 1 and $171 for Route 2. How can I stand to work the same job and make so much less? It will be emotionally difficult while working. No one wants this job despite the seemingly good pay. You put huge money into tyour vehicle, dogs attack you, you work in all weather, you walk through deep snow, people are rude to you and through it all you have to stay nice to everyone you see. It was hard enough before but for close to half as much money I don't know if it is worth it. I used to work with horses almost full time for $8 an hour with 10 years experience. I have been fortunate to be able to work about 55 hours a month and take home over $1500 but it is hard work that no one I know would ever consider doing. The electric company is probably paying the new contractor about what they paid my old boss but the new people are taking way more for themselves and not giving much to the employees.
I need ideas of what will fit into IBS life and working PT. There are just these jobs here and there that are horrible and no one wants them but they pay well. Like cleaning up houses with biohazards/murders or undertakers. I knew 2 guys that did those jobs and made huge money but got quite burned out from it! I just don't have any options. What is out there for careers? What could I learn and do that would be ok for PT?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

If you can take a job with the new contractor, I would do it.... new
      #203217 - 08/06/05 05:55 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

unemployement is based on your income but it is a fraction of what you made so the money you earn with the new folks will more than likely be more than the unemployment.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6105

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review