All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anxiety
      #201454 - 08/01/05 01:34 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

I've just read that people who have IBS, usually have anxiety disorders as well. Has anyone here taken anti-depressants, or found a way to relieve anxiety?
If we permanently relieve any anxiety problems, do you think our IBS symptoms would go away?
Ive read it here: http://www.justbewell.com/help_stop_ibs_hypnotherapy_nlp_london.html
Im not looking for hypnotic therapy or anything, I just felt like doing some research, to see if they're finding out anything. I just scanned down to 'IBS and Anxiety.'

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety new
      #201479 - 08/01/05 02:46 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do a search on anti-depressants or anxiety and you'll get alot of info. It's not a cure, but it can help.

#201480 - 08/01/05 02:47 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Anxiety can play a huge role in IBS, often when people are feeling anxious their IBS will get worse. Plus, it's like a catch-22 because it could also be the IBS making you anxious.

I myself have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and mild OCD. I've tried a few anti-depressants and none of them worked for me, they actually all exacerbated my symptoms. That being said, I'm not in the majority there...a lot of people have a lot of help with anti-depressants. It has something to do with the serotonin that's secreted in your gut, if you take an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) type anti-depressant it can really help.

I personally have found anti-anxiety drugs to work better for me (like Valium, Xanax etc) but a lot of doctors are hesistant to prescribe those on a regular basis because they can be addictive. It wasn't until my anxiety got so out of control that I could barely function did my doc start giving me them regularily.

One other thing you may want to consider if you think anxiety is a major trigger for you would be the drug Librax. It's a combination of an anti-spasmodic and a benzodiazepen (sp?) which can be helpful for a lot of people.

Hope that helps!

Kelly

P.S.

Whereabouts in Canada are you?

#201499 - 08/01/05 03:45 PM
RoseyL

Reged: 07/20/05
Loc: Minnesota

Hi,
I'm pretty new at the boards.....this will be my 4th (I think) post I just wanted to reply about anxiety. I have been on paroxetine 20mg (Paxil) for many years, and it does help with anxiety. I also ran across an article that stated paroxetine is suppose to help IBS.Paroxetine Reduces IBS Symptoms in Patients Not Responsive to Fiber Alone (10/24/02)
http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000629 I think that we IBSers get anxiety because of the IBS, but if we can learn to control anxiety it helps tremendously.

Hope this is helpful to you
Rosey

Lexapro... new
      #201569 - 08/01/05 08:29 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I started on Lexapro for my anxiety after I started the BTC diet. For me, the anxiety was brought on(I believe) by the stress I was under because of the IBS-D starting. I panicked at the thought of going anywhere in the AM. After getting on the diet and the AD, I can now go anywhere W/O the fear of not finding a bathroom. It's only been two months, but at least it's a start. However, I do still have to be careful about what I eat and know that the IBS is here to stay and I have to deal with that. Wish there was a miracle cure. The AD just helped get me back on track a bit and feeling a little more normal. Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Re: GAD/Panic new
      #201632 - 08/02/05 05:54 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've tried alot of drugs over the years for GAD/Panic attacks.
THE BEST and cleanest drug I've taken for this is the one I'm currently on, BUSPAR. That, combined with therapy (if you're open to it and can afford it) is effective.

I live life with this bizarre feeling of being perpetually "on the edge of my seat." The anxiety is rooted firmly in my body. I swear it's like a primordial kind of thing...deeper than subconscious. Maybe it's karmic? Who knows. The most effective therapies that I've done to help me MANAGE GAD/anxiety, and I emphasize the MANAGE aspect are NLP and EMDR. BIBLIOTHERAPY was effective in learning how to manage GAD/anxiety/panic disorder. Note: perhaps these therapies were the most helpful due to the fact that I am also a survivor of trauma.

Most of the herbal/natural things usually made me feel sick to my stomach. Aromatherapy and essential oils and massage are great ways to MANAGE GAD, but not ultimate cure all solutions. They just really really really take the razor sharp edge off. Ditto for yoga and meditation. Ditto for good nutrition.

It's a drug and lifestyle thing. However, drug-wise, I recommend Buspar. It's not narcotic. It won't make you fat. It just gives you this nice sense of alert calm. It's helped my IBS, too. Less anxiety related tummy complaints. You may feel a little tired or woozy/lightheaded or nauseated (most drugs in this group do). It really makes you open to positive change if you're in therapy because you're so much more clearly calm/serene.

All I can say, is that I can now do more than I have before without the GAD interfering and everyday/week...I do more.

Kate, IBS-D.

#201688 - 08/02/05 08:09 AM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

I've had anxiety before I found out I had IBS. That's why I figured that there must be some sort of connection. I also have GAD, and social anxiety disorder. I had mild OCD as well, I think. But I believe it's mostly gone. No more rituals. I also experience night terrors. But not every night. About 4-5 a month, on average.
My anxiety is genetic, and recently I have been considering some medication. Although I don't know anything about it. I've had anxiety ever since I was a child, so I guess it isn't a direct cause of IBS, as I suspected. Because I developed IBS out of the blue while I was in the ninth grade.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1073

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review