All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I spent 2 hours at Michaels
      #200127 - 07/27/05 04:06 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

looking at scrapbooking materials. I had no idea there was such much. I didn't buy any of them, because I do not know where to begin!

So many decisions. Do most of you scrapbookers do 12 X 12 inch books or the 8 1/2 X 11? Do you use the pages with plastic protectors?

How do you keep your things organized until you put the pages together? Any ideas for something I could put my photos in until I start?

Stickers----What kind are best? The peel off ones or the rub on ones?

I feel like I need to choose one thing (like a vacation we took) to practice on. The thought of putting together 19 years of my boys' photos is OVERWHELMING!

I need LanaMarie. Doesn't she have a scrapbooking store now?

Ok, you're going to laugh, but I told the manager, "I think I need Scrapbooking for Dummies!" He goes to the counter and hands me the yellow and black book with that title!!!!!!!

So I bought that to have something to read. I called a friend who does this and she said she'd show me how to get started.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It can be so overwhelming! new
      #200134 - 07/27/05 04:23 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Back when I first started scrapbooking, there was next to nothing available and that made it pretty simple. Choose your book size, buy some pretty paper and a glue stick, done. Hehe. Now there's just SO MUCH out there, I can definitely see how you got overwhelmed! But you have the right idea: don't think about 19 years of photos, just pick one event and start from there.

Personally, I switch scrapbook sizes for different projects. For example, I made a book for my father, and I used a 6x9 (I think) book, so that there would be fewer pictures per page, and I would be able to fill an entire book with less pictures. For my own scrapping, I tend to use 12x12 - not only can I fit more pictures per page, but I like to include things like brochures and maps as backgrounds sometimes, and when you start using big materials like that, anything smaller looks crowded.

I do use pages with plastic protectors as much as I can... but the kind you slip a non-hole-punched page into, NOT those old-fashioned "magnetic" photo books with the sticky cardboard backing! They EAT photos!

As for organizing photos during the process, I invested in a few of those "photo storage boxes" that are basically shoeboxes lined with archival paper. Most of them come with dividers in them, which makes it really easy to organize by year or event. Check the dollar stores - sometimes they have them cheaper than Wal-Mart or craft stores will.

Good luck! I gotta say, I haven't worked on a scrapbook in years... just talking about it has me thinking about starting one!

Thanks, Casey--nt-- new
      #200186 - 07/27/05 06:53 PM
BL

Re: I spent 2 hours at Michaels new
      #200302 - 07/28/05 07:07 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Oh BL - this is exactly why I am opening my store - way too many people go to Michaels and come home with nothing because it's too overwhelming.

Here's my ideas for you:

Initial purchases should be:

Photo splits - to adhere photos to pages and archive them
safely

Album - You choose whatever you want - you may even want to start with a small 6x6 album just so you can get used to trying new techniques on nice small pages - beginners sometimes find the larger pages overwhelmed because there is so much creative pressure to fill the entire space.

Buy a scrapbooking magazine - Scrapbooks etc is amazing and they have how to pages in half hour. They are amazing and so simple.

Purchase a large Slab of paper - usually comes in 12 x12 sheets but it's the best because it will last you forever.

Also purchase a pack of plain colored card stock such as blue, greeen, white etc. for matting

A personal cutter to cut the extra "stuff" out of photos to make it easier for the viewer to zone in on the focal point of your pic and page. It will be a small square unit with a side cutter arm on the side. Get one of those to trim your photos.

also - Pick up a Fiskars paper trimmer to cut up your 12x12 paper. It's grey and orange and has a blade that runs on a track. You lift the track or arm and place your paper underneath and run the blade up and down to cut the paper straight. It's super easy to use and you will you it everyday!!!

From there pick up some embellishments that you like - some ribbon, charms, letters etc.

From there read the scrapbook etc magazine and pic your favorite layouts and read the directions on how to do it. From there you should be able to purchase the items you like from the page examples or get pretty close to them.

Also - I would purchase some photo boxes from Michaels and divide your pics into years and then imalgemate them into each other from there. Choose your favorites and place them in the album.

Also - look at www.twopeasinabucket.com this site is jammed full of ideas and layouts- if you search the peanut gallery. There is some amazing ideas and you can search by words specs ie: Boy, girl, shower, summer etc.

Hopefully this helps!

If you need any help feel free to email me and I would be happy tohelp you out with what everything does. Let me know!

I tried to keep the to purchase list pretty small and simple for you - but feel free to add on items as you want.

Enjoy - as soon as you get it - you will love it.

I would also suggest taking a Creative Memories class- just a couple to teach you how to crop your photos and mat around them etc. From there you can develop your own style as I find CM to be pretty limited. However, you may fall in love with that style too - which is great and completely your choice.

You can go to www.creativememories.com and find a rep near you and book a class. You can also have home parties whenyou get some lady friends together like a tupperware party and have them over and you get prizes. But it may be good to have some people to hang with while you do this hobby - it's great for socializing!!!

Anyways - that's about all I got for you now. Again, don't hesitate to let me know ifyou need any help or have questions

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: It can be so overwhelming! new
      #200310 - 07/28/05 07:30 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Looks the LanaMarie and Casey summed it up pretty well! I know you don't want to get into cutting and glueing and the whole nine yards. So, by yourself a big pack of colored/patterned patter and some solid smaller paper to use as matts for some of the photos. I prefer the peel and stick stickers over the rub-ons, I just think they are easier.

I typically use the 12x12 books but, like Casey, I tend to add more "stuff" to the pages than just photos! I use the photo boxes to keep my photos organized once I've sorted them! I wished we lived closer, I'd come spend a day with you and get you started! There really isn't any "wrong" way to scrapbook as long as you are using acid free stuff!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Lana Marie new
      #200561 - 07/28/05 01:29 PM
BL

Thank you so much! I have been thinking about you lately. Have you opened your new store yet?

I bought 2 of those photo boxes today, and I'm going to start putting photos in there this weekend. The only problem is I have 2 sons very close in age (13 mo. apart), and so many of my candid shots have BOTH boys in them. So if I do a book for each boy, I don't know how to separate the photos? This is so confusing!

Part of me just wants to do the books for me----not them. Guys don't care about this stuff. I figure they won't want them. I want them for me to look at!!!

I am thinking about doing a "FIRST" book---each boy's first steps, haircut, girlfriend, day of school, etc. What do you think about that? At least that would help me narrow it down and only hit the highlights!

I will check out those websites this weekend. I'm sure I'll have other questions for you later.

I don't think I'll have a problem with layouts or choosing photos. It's the mechanics that I don't understand. I don't know how to cut the stuff or adhere it to the page!!!

Thanks again, and good luck with your store!

Re: Lana Marie new
      #200701 - 07/28/05 09:38 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hey BL

Personally I would get three photo boxes
Box #1) Boy A - Solely outlines his life to now - the highlights as you said - and note the special memories you had through the years with them

Box #2) Boy B - Solely outlining Their life and highlights and your special memories with them

Box #3) the rest of your lives till now together - I would take that box and use the dividers and do you best to break it down into years. And if you want you can do all the photos but if not just take out your favorites per year. I would work per section nice and slowly and orderly.

I would also suggest starting out with the everyday pics first and save the boys tribute albums until last - incase your style changes and then you find you want to pull it all apart and start again you won't be spoiling such special photographs.

Not that they all aren't special - but some are more so than others.

The average start up cost is about $150 to get the beginner stuff, but trust me - start with the right stuff right away and you will have alot less pulling apart and redoing later LOL

As for your question - I haven't opened my store lately - I apologize for not being around - I just finished my business plan main outline tonight - huge sigh - so now it's off to my friend for some tweekage and then it goes to the bank - keep your fingers crossed for me LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 620

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review