Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Colonoscopy Update: Sedation my butt!!
      #198731 - 07/22/05 08:16 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,

I have been home for a while now since my colonoscopy and I am oh-so glad it's over! For a while yesterday and this morning whilst sitting on the potty, I thought maybe it would never be over, haha.

I got about 2 hours of sleep last night once the 'going' finally stopped before I had to get up again to take the Fleet Phosphosoda thing, and then was obviously still up until I went to the hospital. I was still going when we left, so I made Adrian go start the car while I was in the bathroom so I could just run out to the car and we could get there as speedy as possible.

The nurse couldn't do my IV properly and took ages, and I thought she was being really rough. I am bruised up now. And she might as well have not done it 'cause I didn't feel that I was sedated AT ALL. I was aware of everything, felt everything, remember everything... By the time I went into the room, I was really tired from days of pooping with no sleep, but the sedation didn't change it at all. When I got home from the hospital, my mom thought they must not have given me anything 'cause I was completely normal. She said Adrian looked worse than me from lack of sleep too, ha ha.
She put some stuff on to numb the fissure that reopened during the prep, so thank goodness for that! Otherwise, it was really uncomfortable 'cause of all the air they pumped in there and then keep jamming that thing around.
They took four biopsies and she says that she won't know anything until she gets them back, and I can go see her to find out in a couple of weeks.

I have started eating again, but am still going from the prep. Hope that stops soon.

So I made it! Though I have to say I never want to have it done again!

Thanks for all the support as always, all!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy Update: Sedation my butt!! new
      #198733 - 07/22/05 08:29 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

UGH! I had a sedative-free colonoscopy when I as 15 yrs old, apparently it was somewhat uncommon then to be sedated. It was awful. I know exactly how you feel. UGH! Well get some rest now that you can....
Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#198766 - 07/23/05 06:03 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Glad it's over for ya!
When I had mine done, I had to also have my stomach scoped at the same time..I don't remember the colonoscopy at all, but I was definately awake during the end of the stomach scope...I was talking to them and trying to say that I couldn't breath, etc...it was such an awful feeling having that thing down your throat and not being able to do anything about it!!!!!!
(And NO, they didn't use the same scope - LOL) My dad loved asking me that...

--------------------
~Cara~

#198781 - 07/23/05 08:16 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I cannot believe they didn't put you out! Ugh! That must have been awful. I don't remember a thing from mine after the nurse said "I'm starting the IV now." Take it easy over the weekend and I hope you feel better soon!

Oh, no! new
      #198782 - 07/23/05 08:20 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Sorry about that, Steph!

Are you sure you didn't go under at all? I remember waking up a couple of times during mine (they put me in a "twilight" sleep), and it was more than just uncomfortable. It was pretty painful, but apparently I have "tight corners."

Anyway, I'm glad you survived. Hope you're feeling better!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#198806 - 07/23/05 11:11 AM
RoseyL

Reged: 07/20/05
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Steph,
This is my first "post" -- I am new to this. I signed up Thursday and have been reading all the IBS stuff. You seem like someone who is very compassionate

I am so sorry about your rough colonoscopy!! (And about your Mom ) I have never had a colonoscopy, and you and those who have are Super Heros!! It totally freaks me out to think about getting one. I have had IBS-D for 13 years -- it runs in the family I go through ups and downs with it, and this down got me to (again) go searching for more help.....Heather's site. It has been very helpful to to read about other people's IBS situations. Thanks to all for sharing!! It helps so much to know that I am not the only one in the world who struggles with this restricting syndrome. I also got some good info about immodium -- that you can take it more often than I thought. That bit of info is definetly a life saver for me!! I have been struggling all this time thinking that immodium isn't good to take for more than a day or two at a time.

Well, I hope you are feeling better real soon!!
If you have any suggestions for getting around the "Living Room and the Message Boards" please pass them on. The only way I could figure to get a message out was to reply to one.

Blessings!
Rosey

Welcome RoseyL new
      #198827 - 07/23/05 12:41 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, especially as it was your first post! I really appreciate your kind words.
Welcome to the boards! We are happy to have you here, I hope that you find some good info here and it helps you in whatever tummy way you are looking for!

If you want to make a NEW post, go to that board and at the top there will be a 'Post' option. Just click on that, and voila!
Good luck, and see ya around the boards!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Yikes new
      #198847 - 07/23/05 03:36 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am sorry that was such a rotten experince. I mean they are nover fun but at least your supossed to sleep through it! BIG HUGS!!! Hope your feeling better soon!
HUGS!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

I've had several ones like this new
      #198933 - 07/24/05 07:47 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I was awake like this for 3 out of my last 4 colonoscopies. It really traumatized me, so much that I had a seizure on the table on the 3rd one and they had to stop the procedure.

The last one they put me out and gave me a memory drug so that I wouldn't remember. It was vastly different from the other experiences. Unf, you seem to have gone through the former. So sorry, I wouldn't recommend that way to anyone.

{{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}

Please know there is a better way of undergoing the procedure. If your symptoms change and need arises to get another done, CHANGE DOCTORS and get the one which I described where you won't remember anything.

So sorry, hon. Go grab the eleven closest pillows you can and curl up on the couch with a Mel Gibson movie.

~nelly~

Hi RoseyL! new
      #198934 - 07/24/05 07:50 AM
Nelly

Another board member, yea! Welcome! Hi, I'm Nel!

I'm so glad you can join us! It's good to have you here.

~nelly~

Singing through my colonoscopy...I was awake too new
      #198954 - 07/24/05 10:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I didn't want to mention it as I did not want to scare anyone...but I was awake the whole time for mine. It hurt and the doc asked me what I do to relax. I said sing. So I SANG during the colonoscopy...

I'm SO SORRY this happened to yo Steph *hugs* Are you feeling any better today?

Love ya lots,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie .... new
      #198959 - 07/24/05 11:23 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

What did you sing ???? "The long and winding road", "Twist and Shout"????

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #198966 - 07/24/05 12:00 PM
Nelly

LOL!!!!! I just spit out my chamomille tea...! What are some others...? How about "Take this job and shove it"?

~nelly~ *still laughing*

Re: ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #198968 - 07/24/05 12:07 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

"Up a Lazy River"

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: Glad it's over for ya Stephie! new
      #199009 - 07/24/05 05:15 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I did the same thing the day of my procedure. I quick went to the bathroom and made my husband rush us to the hospital which was about 20min away. I, however, had a baby diaper "pull up" kinda wedged in my shorts for "just in case". Helped me mentally too

I've heard people say they were awake. That must have been pretty weird and awful. I really don't remember much about mine but I do remember saying Ouch and then they gave me more drugs and I don't remember anything more. You were kinda lucky in that respect that the drugs really didn't effect you cause I came down off my Demerol high the next morning. It was awful!

Keep us posted about the results.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

I was awake too... new
      #199134 - 07/25/05 12:31 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...but not with it. Only felt slight discomfort and the nurse was really nice...stroking my hair and talking quietly to me. I watched the tv screen!

OH NO!!!!!!!!! new
      #199355 - 07/26/05 06:24 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Maybe they really don't sedate in Canada! My bad GI told me that they don't and how extremely painful it would be. Yikes.

I'm so very sorry.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2097 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2135

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review