All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I want to cry ....
      #198591 - 07/22/05 12:07 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Look's like I have Celiac. I talked to Kandee and she said if the biopsy showed it, then I have it. Damn! The only thing I have to look forward to are meals and now those are going to be screwed up. I love breads and all that stuff. I think I'll go have a donut before I start going GF.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I want to cry .... new
      #198611 - 07/22/05 12:41 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

*hughughughug*

May I recommend talking to a nutritionist or a naturopath? They are FANTASTIC helpers for this kind of thing, and they can give you meal outlines and products you can find near you.

Don't worry honey, you'll find that so many things are good for Celiacs now, it's becoming second to peanut allergies!

#198614 - 07/22/05 12:45 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh, so sorry. I don't have it so I'm not familiar too much with the gluten free foods but I'm sure you'll find some good subsitutes for your favorite foods. Plus, once you change your diet you should feel much better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Ahhh, Carol new
      #198634 - 07/22/05 01:55 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm so sorry. I know you didn't want to deal with this. But hopefully, they will get you feeling better soon. Hang in there! Someone on the boards in the same boat can help you out!

Re: I want to cry .... totally freaked out new
      #198779 - 07/23/05 07:59 AM
Portageegal

Oh crap. I have been reading the Celiac site and am ready to jump out the window, but I live on the first floor so it wouldn't help. I didn't realize how strict you had to be. Like you can't have even a crumb of gluten touch your food. You're supposed to use separate utensils, etc. You can't even lick an envelope. I am losing my appetite for what I can eat now. AGGHHH...

--------------------
Carol

#198810 - 07/23/05 11:31 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I ate gluten free for a year and honestly it is not that bad. You can make your own bread and cakes using gluten free flour. Also flours like rice, buckwheat and chickpea are great. You can use Tamari instead of soy sauce (it tastes nicer anyway) and simple chinese stir fry sauces are easy to make from scratch.

There are some really good gf cookbooks out there.

Hope you feel better - at least you kow what's wrong and you can fix it. Just think of the things you will be able to eat once you are feeling better - fresh fruit and veg, homemade cakes etc

Fingers crossed for you.

Catherine

#198825 - 07/23/05 12:37 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Carol,

I'm sorry that you are upset about your diganosis of Celiac, BUT I am glad that you DID get a diagnosis! It is a step in the right direction, and even if it feels right now like it's a step in a direction you don't want to go, I think you'll find that it will be totally doable and when you start to feel better, you'll wonder why you ever thought about not doing it in the first place.

You have every right to be freaked out and totally overwhelmed right now, it is going to be a big change. Try and take comfort in the fact that there are so much crazy diets people are on these days that there are so many options out there to people who can't eat this or that. And wheat and gluten are big ones. When I went to a GI conference thing a month or so ago they had cookies and muffins on the breaks that were all gluten and lactose free and they looked just like regular stuff! (I didn't eat any 'cause there wasn't a lot and figured the people who needed them should have them).

I think that once you get used to it, you'll just get into the habbit of doing things like using seperate utensils to the point where you won't even think about it, you'll just do it naturally. And quite willingly I imagine if you feel so much better for doing it!
And who wants to lick envelopes? Bleccch!!!

We'll be here to help, and check out the Recipe board for safe meals for you to make - I'll bet you'll be suprised by how many yummy things you can still make.

Chin up, hon, it'll all be worth it when you're feeling better!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#198828 - 07/23/05 12:48 PM
Portageegal

But, I don't do my own cooking. I live in a rest home and even if they DID get special food for me they aren't going to cook it in a separate pot or use different utensils. Most of what we have is canned or prepared and of course that has gluten. Like on Friday we have fish sticks. EVERY night is soup and a sandwich (okay that's easy enough, don't take the bread), but I still don't know what to do. I only get $60 a month. That'll go fast on special food.
Boo Hoo

--------------------
Carol

#198842 - 07/23/05 02:22 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

HUGS, Carol.

It's not the end of the world, Carol. It means a change of lifestyle and taste and habbit. Gluten is toxic to you.
It's too bad re: your living accomodations, though. Otherwise, you could make tons of gf treats.

What can I say, other than hugs?

Kate, IBS-D.

#198843 - 07/23/05 02:25 PM
Portageegal

Thanks .....

--------------------
Carol

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1726 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1155

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review