All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
My Reasons... new
      #197554 - 07/19/05 11:47 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Cyndy,

First off, I wanted to say that I do agree with you - the idea that people who are stable should help people who are not is exactly what I think this board is designed to do. I will be the first one to admit that I don't go over there as often as I should, and I am willing to admit that I really should. I am not stable, but I do know that there are questions I could probably try and answer.
I do have reasons, though, that my name doesn't pop up there like it used to..

1) Like everyone else said, the questions are so heavily covered that if they would read almost anything before posting, they would know the answer already. If this were my full time job, I will still answer. Unfortunately, a lot of us have other full time jobs and everything and just don't have enough time to, like someone else said, answer questions like, "Can I eat ice cream?" and stuff.

2) I have had A LOT going on in my own personal life lately, and I have found it really exhausting. I will devote more time to it once I am feeling better myself.

3) A couple of months ago, and if you look back you will see this, I was responding to posts on the IBS board left right and center. I wrote several really lengthy responses that had a lot of information that was easily accessible at various other areas in the site.
Then I ran into something that bothered me even more - People who were in best cases completely unresponsive, and in worse cases people who were rude and disrespectful. I want to help as much as the next person, but I won't allow something that I NEED as a support system right now to make me feel worse than when I log in.

That being said, I do feel that we could all probably give more than we do in all aspects of life and I have felt guilty for a while that I have chosen not to visit the EFI board for a while. I will do so soon, and I will try to answer as many questions as I can.
I am an IBS-D though, and I have noticed a huge swarm of IBS-C posts which I will not respond to because I just don't know.

Thanks for asking, you do raise a good point. No feathers ruffled on my end.

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

ok, maybe I am thinking of this way more than I need to but . . . new
      #197565 - 07/20/05 02:10 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

We all come here for support and comfort. Some of us are stable and we chose to hang in the LR because we need support in other areas of our lives. I don't think that we should feel guilty for seeking the help and support that we need just because it is in the LR and not on the diet board.

--------------------
Janey

Reality Check new
      #197596 - 07/20/05 06:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I took a look at the posts for the last 7 days as of about 2:30pm EDT (US) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005.

There were 2575 total posts for that period. They break down like this:

Crohn's Disease and Colitis Board...................14
Eating for IBS Diet Board...............................736
Hypnosis for Irritable Bowel Syndrome..............20
IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board.........................212
IBS Recipe Exchange....................................110
Let's Get Together!..........................................11
The Living Room.........................................1,467
Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health.........................5
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Research Library..........0

There were 187 different posters across all Boards in this period.

There were 84 different posters in the Living Room during this period. Thirty (30) of these posters posted in the Living Room and not on the Eating Board. Those 30 break down like this:

20 posted only in the Living Room and on no other Board
4 posted in the Llving Room and the Recipe Board
4 posted in the Living Room and the Fitness Board
2 posted in the Living Room and the Get Together Board

There were 136 different posters on the Eating Board during this period. This means the average number of posts per poster on the Eating Board was about 5-1/2 (736/136). However, there were 12 posters on the Eating Board who had 10 or more posts. These 12 posters accounted for 318 of the 736 posts, or 50%.

And in a slightly different type of reality check, the Living Room does not exist in a vacuum. I don't post here, but I scan the list of topics from time to time and read interesting ones. I daresay some of the new posters - and some auditors who had been considering becoming new posters - do the same.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: As someone who checks EVERY post in the EFI forum... new
      #197598 - 07/20/05 06:28 AM
Sand

Linz, I know you're in the trenches every day and I think you're great. I seem to remember your saying in an earlier post that you stick around to give back to the Boards and I admire that a lot.

If you're in danger of burning out, stressing out, or making yourself sick, though, please consider cutting back a little. Let one of the 186 other posters carry a little of the weight for a while.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Wow, look at the statitician! new
      #197600 - 07/20/05 06:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It's ALOT of posts. I typically check between 50-100 posts a day in the EFI forum so I guess that tallies. And if people object to me making short replies sometimes, this is why!

Ah, remember the days when this place was quiet?

Reading old posts new
      #197601 - 07/20/05 06:32 AM
Sand

I'm so glad to hear you're reading old posts. I did the same thing during a period of insomnia several months ago. I started with the oldest, though, and worked my way forward. It was very interesting, very helpful, and - oddly - lots of fun. I keep thinking I should get back to it, but I never seem to make the time.

And what a great thing to suggest to new posters. Even just reading back over a week or a month of old posts would help give the flavor of how the Diet Board works - and how the diet works.

--------------------

Oh I do! new
      #197602 - 07/20/05 06:32 AM
Linz

Sometimes I just go awol.

But atm, Si is working ALL hours, I've been feeling cack so haven't been getting on with the DIY and Archie's not allowed much exercise. Plus I don't talk to anyone when I'm working. So if it wasn't for this place, I'd probably go insane. When I have more time and energy, I have GOT to make some friends round here.

PS. AWOL alert! new
      #197603 - 07/20/05 06:34 AM
Linz

I just remembered that I'm working on the Isle of Wight for a week from 07/30 and won't have as much time to post. And then I'm going on holiday in Scotland for a week. So you'd better start limbering up those finger muscles!

Better subject lines new
      #197605 - 07/20/05 06:38 AM
Sand

Quote:

People on the Eating board really need to make use of the subject line when posting their questions. If it just says "what do I eat" or "question about fiber" I probably will skip it. If it says "Is cracked wheat okay?" then I'll probably look in and answer. Nobody is going to open every single thread, so the subject headings have to indicate that this is a question that has not been dealt with before. Otherwise, as you can see, none of us will read it.

I think this is a great suggestion and would like to see it on the Diet Board, either as a post or incorporated into one of the "new poster" sticky posts.

--------------------

Who could forget him? new
      #197607 - 07/20/05 06:42 AM
Sand

Oh, yes, I remember he whose name(s) should not be mentioned. I've wondered from time to time if anyone volunteered to help him and how it turned out. It's kind of interesting to hear the end of the story and I definitely think you deserve a medal (or a straightjacket!) for volunteering. I am sorry it didn't seem to help. It sounds like the same pigheadedness that made him so admirably determined to demand help made him less admirably unwilling to accept it.

That said, I really don't think that there has been anyone on the Boards since then who comes anywhere near him in terms of volume, repetitiveness, ingratitude, or thickheadedness.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2014 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review