All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: The other thing is... new
      #197221 - 07/19/05 10:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Lately if you answer those posts by suggesting the person do a search they tend to get seriously nasty about it.

I'd like examples of this, because I'm not really seeing it.

Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

well my answer is ... new
      #197228 - 07/19/05 10:08 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

...a lot like everyone else's. If people read EFI: TFY, and Heather's cookbook, they don't have as many "basic" questions. This site is not designed to answer ever single question people might have. Think of it like a class on your new digestive system, and the books are required reading. You wouldn't show up to class and ask basic questions that were covered in the reading, would you? I just went and took a look at my first several posts, to make sure I wasn't kidding myself. I never asked questions like "what do I eat?" or "Is ice cream okay?" because I had already read the books. This site is a secondary resource to clarify questions that may not be thoroughly explained in EFI. And in EFI, Heather makes it plain that it takes a while to stabilize. People need to be patient and not demand answers to every little question. So much of this diet is common sense. If you can smush it with a fork, eat it. If you can't, then eat it in moderation after something smushable. There aren't that many rules, which is why it's so easy and effective. I also think that people are not making use of the sticky notes for newbies, and are not searching the boards before posting questions. If a newbie is asking a million simple questions that could be resolved by reading the books or doing a search, I won't answer, for fear that I will become that person's personal liason to the world of IBS.

I hope I haven't come off condescending or abrasive, and Cyndy, I'll admit that I'm not familiar with your posts so I'm not addressing you directly when I say "newbie." You asked a good question, and I'm giving you a direct answer.

All that being said, I do make a point to read any novel questions and answer them to the best of my ability. People on the Eating board really need to make use of the subject line when posting their questions. If it just says "what do I eat" or "question about fiber" I probably will skip it. If it says "Is cracked wheat okay?" then I'll probably look in and answer. Nobody is going to open every single thread, so the subject headings have to indicate that this is a question that has not been dealt with before. Otherwise, as you can see, none of us will read it.

I hope that helps.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Why don't most of you post on the Eating Board? new
      #197235 - 07/19/05 10:15 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

As a moderator of the Eating for IBS Diet Board, I can honestly say that most of the time when I get there, the question has already been answered. I personally don't want to sound like a broken record to someone else's answer. And if it hasn't been answered and I do know the answer, I jump right in.

Sorry you feel you're being neglected.

Ditto.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Hey Amanda new
      #197242 - 07/19/05 10:22 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I did the same thing you did, went back and checked my first posts to see the topics. I didn't remember asking so many questions but I wanted to check and make sure. You know the memory isn't what it used to be.

--------------------
Janey

Re: The other thing is... new
      #197245 - 07/19/05 10:23 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I don't really have time for that, so I just deleted the post. Could just be my perception.

I know the feeling new
      #197247 - 07/19/05 10:26 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I keep thinking of things to add but who wants to hear me go on and on. We have all said basically the same thing.

--------------------
Janey

Okay, sorry to be a broken record but.... new
      #197250 - 07/19/05 10:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...just thought of something else that's been bugging me ALOT in the diet forum. People who post saying nothing works for me, this diet just doesn't work, I want to have surgery/die/never eat again...and then you find they're eating BASIC triggers like sorbitol or coffee EVERY SINGLE DAY. Sometimes I do struggle to be polite I have to admit.

#197255 - 07/19/05 10:34 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I find there is not much I can add to the Eating for the IBS boards that is not in Heather's books or available through a search. And like everyone else, I know all the people that post here and I consider a lot of people here friends. It is ok to ask why we don't post. I don't have a problem with that.

--------------------

#197273 - 07/19/05 10:43 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I stopped venturing over there a couple months ago because it was always the exact same questions over and over and over and if you just do a board search or read the information on the site then about 90% of those questions are answered.

#197293 - 07/19/05 11:13 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I DO post on the diet board, but I have to echo what others have said. I definitely don't read all posts any more though, as I once did. There are definitely lots of questions that have been discussed millions of times or are quite simply, answered on the site. And yeah I only answer questions I can - I'm IBS-D and I never get C.

I have to say that I try to answer as much as I can but it does get increasingly frustrating. Remember that guy who was on the boards who was really hostile to everyone a few months ago (volatile etc...)? Well I agreed to let him start emailing me. And now, after about a month of what he calls really trying the diet, he's fed up and giving up. "He can't be expected to eat this restrictive..." so he's looking for other answers, like colon cleanses and online quizzes telling him he doesn't have IBS but candida (despite the fact that he's been tested for it). BUT his idea of really trying the diet includes red meat, beer and dairy now and then. I find this soooo frustrating and unfortunately it's something I've been seeing more and more on the diet boards. Like I said, I try to help all I can but it can be really frustrating to see the same questions over and over again and to be not giving the diet a chance and then complaining etc... It's like, I don't like the treatment so I'll pretend that ice cream and hamburgers aren't bothering me and that I must have something else other than IBS.

OK, OK, rant over. I'm really sorry if you've been feeling neglected or frustrated, Cyndy!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2035 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review