All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
I'm not having a bad experience new
      #197184 - 07/19/05 09:02 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Just frustrated. And wanting help, as are the others who are struggling. Didn't want to offend anyone.

Sorry again. Didn't want to "ruffle feathers" either.

I just think you all could offer a lot of help. I won't say anymore.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Which boards? new
      #197185 - 07/19/05 09:04 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Do you mean the Diet board, or Recipes??? I do check all the boards, and respond whenever I think I have anything useful to say, or sometimes I post something I've discovered that works for me. (Like a few weeks back---Benefiber). But I am pretty stable now, and eat stuff a lot of people can't so I don't want to go leading people in the wrong direction. If it's a basic question about food or something or working out, I'll answer. But sometimes I just don't really know how to help people...

--------------------

Re: Why don't most of you post on the Eating Board? new
      #197186 - 07/19/05 09:05 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

As a moderator of the Eating for IBS Diet Board, I can honestly say that most of the time when I get there, the question has already been answered. I personally don't want to sound like a broken record to someone else's answer. And if it hasn't been answered and I do know the answer, I jump right in.

Sorry you feel you're being neglected.

The Eating For IBS Board-nt new
      #197187 - 07/19/05 09:05 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I'm often reading posts on the diet board lately, but... new
      #197190 - 07/19/05 09:07 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't always have things to say. If I find any that I know I can answer, I make a point of doing my best. I'm not usually that good at offering advice, so I tend to shy away when I see others have answered.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Cyndy... new
      #197193 - 07/19/05 09:11 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

ok, I just checked the board really quick, and I have to agree that a lot of the posts are questions even I'VE seen before, even though I haven't been around that long. I think a lot of them can be answered with "follow the book, it's trial and error". Sounds silly, but that's how I figured my own situation out. It's hard to tell someone how to do that.
Otherwise, there are lots of questions on medications (I don't take any) or other more specific symptoms/diagnoses that I don't have or really know anything about. You definitely learn a lot on these boards and just finding out information in general, but it's hard to be an expert on everything, when your main focus is healing yourself. You know what I mean?
So probably if someone isn't getting a response, it's either been asked before, or no one has new, legitmate info. I'm not sure what your symptoms are, but if you have anything specific I can try to help, but like I said, I'm not really "sick" much. I used to have major bloating, gas, and C, and it's all but gone away except for the occasional episode. And I don't follow Heather's Diet to the letter, I experiment with what I can.

--------------------

Cyndy new
      #197198 - 07/19/05 09:22 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Do you have specfic questions on the diet board that have not been answered? When I check out the diet board it seems that most of the questions have several answers. If it seems that a question has been answered by someone else and I don't feel I have anything to add I will pass it by.

When I first starting coming to the boards I read everything that Heather put out to get info on what to eat and not to eat, what fiber to take and how much, etc. I don't remember asking so many questions as much as coming on the boards to discuss things with other people.

I think most people try very hard between work, ibs problems, families and other issues to do the best they can to help others. Those of us that are stable don't have all the answers by any means. Many of us are good at knowing what works best for ourselves but what works for one may not be the best for someone else.

We are all in the same boat but sometimes when one is stable it is nice to get away from IBS issues for a short while and focus on something else in the Living Room. Personally for me it isn't that I don't want to help others but I don't feel that I have all the answers just because I am stable right now.

--------------------
Janey

As someone who checks EVERY post in the EFI forum... new
      #197209 - 07/19/05 09:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...OY!

And I actually agree with something Ginger said. ALOT of the newbies these days are posting VERY simple questions that can be answered by reading the book or the diet guidelines and reading the info for newbies. Heather asks ALL newbies to do this, but loads of people don't bother anymore. And yep, it is ALOT more than it used to be. So it gets VERY frustrating to be answering the same question 3 times a day when I shouldn't have to. And then there's the people who ask the same question 3 times, or who I ask a question that I need the answer to to be able to help AND THEY DON'T ANSWER.

Partly b/c of that I know that if I'm tired or stressed, I can't cope with the EFI forum as it's too frustrating and tiring so on those occasions I might well just hang out in here. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

I read the diet board several times a day, but... new
      #197213 - 07/19/05 09:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

To be totally honest, I won't waste my time on

1. Questions that have been asked a dozen times and can easily be answered by doing a board search, and

2. Along the same lines, questions that can be answered easily by reading the material that Heather has so graciously provided for free on the rest of the site.

I also tend to not respond to questions when I don't know the answers, because that would be misleading. Like Janey, I'm D-predominant and I thank my lucky stars when I actually get C, so I'd hardly be of any help to the dozens of C'ers asking questions lately. All I can say is, "Read Heather's books and eat more insoluble fiber", over and over, which is what I believe in but is probably less than helpful, you know?

When I was a newbie, I read, searched and experimented a whole lot more than I asked actual questions... I guess I tend to expect that from everyone else, too.

Just my point of view as a long-time poster and moderator. I try to help when I can, I honestly do, but most of the new folks tend to be C'ers, and I just don't feel like I can offer the best advice when I can't even commiserate.

The other thing is... new
      #197214 - 07/19/05 09:49 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Eh, nevermind.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31424

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review