All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
So sorry you had to go through this! Question.... new
      #194654 - 07/12/05 01:08 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

When you have time, I'm curious about your insomnia. You said this appointment with the neurologist was about insomnia, right?

Reason I ask, is that my husband suffers from a hellish form of insomnia taking him through days and sometimes a whole week with extremely little sleep! He has a physical/chronic health problem that is aggravated by the insomnia, and I am wondering where do you start treating something like that?

I have talked till I'm blue in the face about him going to the doctor specifically about the insomnia, but we have a lot of major health issues already between him and my son that are pressing right now. Perhaps that is why he dismisses it so easily. However, I'd appreciate any help/advice you might offer. You can email me if you'd rather not post it all here....kimfurd@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Butting in.... new
      #194660 - 07/12/05 01:13 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I want to add that I exercise usually 5 times a week, done during the work week by 7 or so. In time to eat healthy (easier to do after exercising!), and have energy to get things done at home. And it definitely helps me sleep. (When my husband isn't writhing and moaning in his sleep, that is.)

Have you tried the IBS Hypnosis cds? Maybe it's missing the point, but those things help me sleep BIG time. I usually wake up in the morning with my headphones still on!

--------------------

What helped me sleep... new
      #194696 - 07/12/05 01:39 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I have been so anxious with flashbacks, etc. the only thing that has given me a good night's sleep was melatonin. More helpful than Ambien, amatryptaline, or anything else I've been given for sleep (better than valerian as well!) You get a nice warm feeling and gently fall alseep. I took it last night for the 1st time. Only trouble is I am still groggy from it...but I slept throught the night for the 1st time in WEEKS!

I took it in bed about 20 mins before i wanted to fall asleep per the directions.

I dcan't imagine being born with insomnia...yikes!

I'm glad the doc was so nice. That happened to me with a gyno. and they rescheduled me for DAYS later! I was NOt happy and found another doc to see. I needed my BC pills and I was going to end up wthout any...which would have made my emotions HAYWIRE! Thank G-d my doc in FL called in a script for me that day!

Love Ya Tina *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Gotta try that! new
      #194757 - 07/12/05 02:42 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Thanks for the tip. Valerian and hops helps but can't hit the proper insomnia and my stoopid doc won't give me anything. I NEED something strong for Fibro flares.

Melatonin...beware... new
      #194796 - 07/12/05 04:38 PM
Snow for Sarala

I slept most of the day away! If you DO take this stuff...don't satrt at 3mg lik me (Hubby and I fought at the store..they had a 1mg or a 3mg tablet. I thought 1mg wqould be good to start and experiment with...but he felt I needed the strongest thing out there...oh my!) I would start at 1mg. Make sure it is a night you can sleep for at least 9 hours if needed. And if you Do get groggy the next day...that's normal...just not so much so that you sleep the day away. It's kind of like some of the AD's...until you get used to em they make you groggy.

It does say on the bottle to consult with a physician if you have a depressive disorder. And I do not think it is for long term use. It is supposed to give you enough melatonin to REGULATE sleep patterns. Just some things to think about...

Sending you a restufl sleep! *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Be extra careful new
      #194840 - 07/12/05 05:47 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Just because something is over-the-counter or an herb doesn't mean it can't cause side effects! And sometimes the side effects can be very serious.

I speak from experience. Like a stupid person, I once decided to discontinue an AD I was on to take St. John's Wort instead.
I felt great the first couple of weeks, but then I was flying high! It put me in a manic stage (I couldn't sleep at all and was going 90 mph.) That's because I had bipolar disorder, which, at the time, I was not aware I had.

Yes, these things can alter your body chemisty---and mess you up big time. Please use precautions---or better yet, speak to your doctor about them first. I wish I had!

If you're otherwise healthy it could really help.... new
      #194844 - 07/12/05 05:51 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Just to offer a different side of this issue, melatonin is so safe that we've used it with our son. His autism would keep him awake all night long. Melatonin a half hour before bed time was a GOD-SEND to us and helped us avoid stronger meds for him. In a few months we decreased the dose by half, then by half again, then he didn't need it at ALL anymore, his body had regulated itself and "knew when to go to sleep".

So, it can be really good. But not with other meds or anything, wouldn't suggest that with ANYTHING.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Ick.. hope your day got better! -nt- new
      #194894 - 07/12/05 08:23 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Be extra careful new
      #194903 - 07/12/05 10:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the warning BL!!! You're right! i am very fortunate nothing bad happened to me. i still don't have a diagnosis and this could have been bad news.

I am so glad I have you *big huge hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: If you're otherwise healthy it could really help.... new
      #194904 - 07/12/05 10:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

Michelle...I just rad in my Nutritional Healing book tonight about Autism and melatonin and how effective it is! But it DOES say on the label not to use if you have a depressive disorder...but I ignored it BL is right...at least for me...I have to be careful!

I think for most people it's wonderful. I'm glad it is so helpful for Luke

Sending you love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8013

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review