All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Does anyone else get jealous?
      #193559 - 07/09/05 06:08 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I ate lunch at a deli yesterday, and I sat and watched all the people around me piling up things at the salad bar. I couldn't help but STARE at the woman sitting next to me who had a plate piled with:

raw spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, red onions, potato salad, pasta salad, cole slaw, bacon, cheese---all topped with a creamy Ranch dressing.

It looks so heavy and full of IBS triggers that my stomach was hurting just looking at it!

I felt so out of place. There must have been 20 customers around me, all eating like this---and I thought to myself, "Why can't I eat like this?"

I used to---and just took it for granted.

I wanted to shake this people and scream, "Do you know how lucky you are? You can eat whatever you want, it goes through your colon and out the other end---with no commotion or any thought on your part."

Gosh, if my teenage son had known what I was thinking, he would've been embarrassed!

(By the way, I ordered a turkey sandwich on French bread, and had Baked Lays chips---and I was so nervous that I might not survive the shopping trip with my son. Urgent D did hit me later, but thank goodness, it was after I had dropped my son off at a friend's house ---and I made it to a Burger King where I found a restroom in time.)

I get so mad that everyone else can eat what I would like to---and they don't have a problem.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I know the feeling!! new
      #193562 - 07/09/05 06:40 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

Just keep telling yourself- it'll go straight to their hips, butt, stomach!!! At least with us it comes out!!! I love that ad- whose-ever it is with the honey buns on her buns- great!!

Re: Does anyone else get jealous? new
      #193566 - 07/09/05 06:46 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I know I do at times too! I'm a college student, which means people eating pizza and yummy smelling lunch truck food all around me. I have meetings for clubs I'm in where they buy pizza for everyone, and I have to make sure I bring my own food, and it sucks and really gets to me at times! I just have to remember the consequences that would happen if I ate that stuff, and think about how much healthier my diet is than theirs!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Think of it this way..... new
      #193569 - 07/09/05 07:22 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

you probably eat a lot healthier than people around you. Honestly, even if I was 100% better, that lunch you described would make me sick just to think of it!! You probably eat less fattening, rich foods than "normal" people, which is better for you regardless. Eating with Heather's diet guidelines in mind has made me a LOT more aware of what I put into my mouth, what the consequences are (IBS and otherwise), and it's really altered my perception of food and it's purpose. Not that I don't still love eating!! I just love it in a healthier way now! (I've learned to live without ranch dressing and don't even miss it!)

--------------------

#193570 - 07/09/05 07:25 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yep, I do. Last night when I was at the gym my stomach got completely swollen. It was painful, but I ended up making myself work out for the hour anyway. It would be cool if that didn't randomly happen to me. Ah well, perhaps they have a huge life problem we can't see that we wouldn't want! Plus, ranch dressing is gross.

#193571 - 07/09/05 07:49 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I used to... but now the thought of aioli (which I used to love) or custard, or cream makes me feel kinda ill. Knowing what that stuff does to me puts me off wanting to eat it - it's actually less tasty because of it.

I am definitely jealous of people who can just, like, eat gummi worms for dinner with ice cream for dessert (I know a girl who does stuff like that often, she's a bit useless in the looking-after-herself department).

--------------------
*Emma*

Not really jealous but...... new
      #193573 - 07/09/05 08:07 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi BL,

I don't guess I really get jealous but it would just be nice not to always be on "ALERT" when picking out food and have to read labels all the time.

Thankfully, I have been able to eat a little pizza & a small amount of ice cream once in a while but what bugs me is that I can't eat the healthy foods. Things like veggies & fruits. I would just love to eat a whole banana or take a bite out of a juicy apple but I wouldn't dare. I've had oatmeal every morning for years and people are amazed that I'm not tired of it. Well, it's good for me and agrees with my tummy so I'll stick with it.

We eat out a lot but usually at restaurants that I know have something that I can eat. Chinese: steamed rice and terayaki chicken, Italian: pasta with plain sauce, Mexican: chicken fajita strips wrapped in flour tortilla.(hubby fills his with salsa, guacomale, sour cream & cheese,plus eats a whole bowl of chips & hot sauce,ugh) I always freak out when our friends want to go to a restaurant that I've never been to before. I always go online to see what they serve and see if there is something I can eat. It's just such a pain.

My hubby has a stomach of steel. He can eat anything and sometimes that bothers me because I wish I could be like that. Fruits, veggies, spinach, beans, spicy stuff, etc. If I ate any kind of beans I would be on the potty for days.

In spite of this, I am willing to be on " FOOD ALERT" if it makes my tummy feel good.

Any day that my tummy feels good is a great day and I'll do what it takes.

Barbie

--------------------

yes, at times... new
      #193574 - 07/09/05 08:09 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I am still adjusting and sometimes have a hard time missing some of my favorites. Plus I have so many triggers, I find it hard to find anything to eat most of the time that wont hurt, so when I do see someone just grab something and eat it, I do get a little pang on envy..:(

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Barbie... new
      #193577 - 07/09/05 08:15 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

You have problems with fruits and veggies too? I thought it was just me. Bananas have always been my favorite, but now they just tear my stomach apart, so much for them being a safe food. And it seems like many fruits and veggies don't agree with me too. I feel so guilty all of the time for not eating more of them, but know I really can't handle them. I do have a peach everyday in my morning oatmeal, whichh BTW is really the only thing I have found that I can eat on a regular basis that doesn't cause an attack...how could we get tired of something that doesn't hurt us?

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.... new
      #193578 - 07/09/05 08:17 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am not as noble as the others who have written! I get extemely jealous of others as they eat their pizza, burgers, fries, turtle sundeas, homemade lasagna with gooey cheese, chili cheese fries, and the healthier foods too....like a yummy salad with all the fixins and that heavenly ranch dressing! I used to love huge salads with tons of tomotoes, raw brocolli, cauliflower, cucumbers, all tossed with a low fat creamy Ranch dressing! I used to top my baked potato (with the yummy skin) with cheese and brocolli and Ranch dressing,

Sorry, I'm not making you feel better, but yes, I get horribly jealous when I see others freely eating all these foods while laughing and celebrating and enjoying the taste of the food. Like you said, they don't have a clue how lucky they are just to be able to partake in this delicious treat life offers. Food is meant to be savored, enjoyed, shared with friends. Not measured, watched, feared, inspected, analyzed, restricted.

We had a party at work for all the student workers and guess what they ordered? Pizza, while I sat there with my Gluten Free Turkey Sandwhich, plain! And my coworkers are big on going out for lunch on Fridays...and I watch them eat the salads, Thai, and heavenly foods while I once again eat my stupid plain Gluten Free Turkey sandwhich. Who wouldn't be jealous!

These people have no clue how lucky they are not to have to think twice about the food, except for maybe gaining a pound if they overdue it. But I miss the healthy foods too that I can no longer eat...like the raw veggie salads, the low fat yogurt, etc. It's not just the more "unhealthy" foods I miss. In fact, the majority of the foods I do miss are the healthy ones!

And being GF makes it even more restrictive. I was very healthy before going on an IBS diet, so it's not that I am any healthier eating this way...if anything, I am eating less healthy since I cannot eat many veggies, fruits, and the Natural Ovens heavenly blueberry low fat muffins, dinner rolls and bagels! (they all have too much whole wheat and fiber). I am finding I eat more sugary cereals, and limited veggies, fruits, etc...and that cannot be good. Gone are the days of just taking an lovely, huge Golden Delicious Apple out of the fridge and biting into it whole! Or enjoying a piece of fresh corn on the cob and watermelon at a summer picnic.

I could go on forever. I guess I'm just having a "sorry for myself" day, and your post was like I could have written it myself, BL!

I admit, I'm green with envy! I think if I were feeling any relief from my restrictive diet, I might have a better attitude about missing out on all the food. In fact, I know I would. But to cut out so many foods (and I need to cut out more than most as I am unable to tolerate a great amount that is even considered safe for most IBS ers, like soy substitues) and still feel so much pain, gas, bloat, and constipation...that just is NOT FAIR.

Okay, pity party is over for today. Sorry to be such a bummer...I'm in one of my moods! Short answer to your question is yes, I do get jealous!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1408 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4737

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review