All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Prescription vs. OTC
      #192186 - 07/06/05 08:42 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Has anyone noticed a difference between prescription and over-the-counter drugs for allergy and GERDs?

As some of you may remember, I got kicked off my mom's health insurance last March and had to go on my school's not-so-great health insurance. Leading up to my last day of coverage, I tried to get as many refills as I could - whether I needed them immediately or not - so that it could last me a little bit longer.

My birth control (Zovia) ran out a couple months ago and my doctor and I decided to put me on a new one (Orthotri-cyclen Lo) because it's really cheap right now. Since starting it, I've been getting really nauseous everyday about 6-12 hours after I take it. I've tried switching times (morning vs. evening), but I still get nauseaous the 6-12 hours from whatever time I take it.

I was also on an allergy decongestant (chlorphenier/p-ephed) that was working wonders for my awful hayfever allergies. I ran out of this prescription the day I left for my trip to Seattle two weeks ago. I found a generic version with the same ingredient (chlorphenier), but it just doesn't seem to be working the same. Last night was my final straw when I was up at 3am because my nose would not stop running and my sinuses felt clogged.

And then my last prescription was for my excessive stomach acid (famotidine), which I also found a generic version of over-the-counter, but it also doesn't seem to be working the same.

If the over-the-counter meds have the same ingredients as my prescriptions, why wouldn't they work the same? On my old insurance, it was cheaper to get the prescription than the over-the-counter, which is why I chose that route. Now it's cheaper to get the over-the-counter.

Thanks in advance! I'm just puzzled and I think a lot of these problems that used to be under control might be causing stress for my recent IBS attacks.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prescription vs. OTC new
      #192200 - 07/06/05 09:03 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

Prescription medications definitely work better for me. I have had an overlap period while my doctor is contacting my insurance co and have taken Prilosec instead of my usual Aciphex. I feel like I am dying during that time period. It really does suck.

I am sorry that you are having a hard time.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#192201 - 07/06/05 09:07 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Could the OTC ones be a lower dose of the same med? For example, Prescription Naproxen is just a really strong dose of Aleve. Call your doc and ask how the OTC ones you've found compare to the Rx ones from before. He might instruct you to take a higher dose of the OTC meds than the label says.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#192204 - 07/06/05 09:14 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That totally sucks!!

It could be that the OC meds are just a lighter dose? Check the packaging and see and maybe you can take a little more of the OC ones to get relief.

#192210 - 07/06/05 09:45 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

The OTCs are a lower dose, but my doctor told me that I can take enough to equal what my prescription was. For example, my acid reducer prescription was 40mg and the over-the-counter one is 20mg, so I just take 2 of the OTCs. But for some reason, it's just not working and that's why I can't figure out what's going on.

Thanks for your replies!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Jen, check out RxSavings Plus new
      #192247 - 07/06/05 11:03 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

It's FREE and you may be able to get discounts on prescriptions.

From rxsavingsplus.advancerx.com :

Quote:

About RxSavings Plus

RxSavings Plus is a prescription discount program designed to meet the needs of uninsured and underinsured Americans who normally pay cash for their prescription medication and would like to lower their prescription costs.

RxSavings Plus enables members to use their prescription drug card at more than 48,000 participating pharmacies nationwide to receive an average savings of 20 percent off the regular retail price of prescription drugs.

Easy
Enroll now in RxSavings Plus, and we'll send you a permanent ID card and welcome packet. Simply present the card along with your prescription at a participating pharmacy to pay a reduced price on most of your prescription drugs.

Convenient
Your drug card is accepted at participating pharmacies nationwide. There are no claim forms to complete. Check our list of participating pharmacies for your local pharmacy. If you don't see it on the list, ask the pharmacist if your card is accepted there.

No Limits
You can use your drug card any time your prescription is not covered by insurance. There are no restrictions or exclusions. RxSavings Plus does not affect any other medical insurance plan you may have.

Extra Savings
As a member, you will enjoy additional savings when you select medications from the RxSavings Plus medication list.www.www. Click here for the list of medications available at an additional savings. Through RxSavings Plus, you have access to our SpecialtyRx program, which offers discounts on most high-tech and injectable drugs. You also have access to AdvanceRx Direct, a program which offers a range of fixed pricing for a 3-month supply of select prescription drugs from Caremark's mail service pharmacy. Our award-winning Web site provides Health and Wellness information so you can learn more about topics of interest to you. Details of these and other programs will be included in your welcome packet.

About Caremark
Caremark Rx, Inc. is a leading pharmaceutical services company, providing through its affiliates comprehensive drug benefit services to over 2,000 health plan sponsors and their plan participants throughout the U.S. Caremark's clients include corporate health plans, managed care organizations, insurance companies, unions, government agencies and other funded benefit plans. The company operates a national retail pharmacy network with over 57,000 participating pharmacies, seven mail service pharmacies, the industry's only FDA-regulated repackaging plant and 21 specialty pharmacies for delivery of advanced medications to individuals with chronic or genetic diseases and disorders.

RxSavings Plus is not an insurance plan. Savings are only available at participating pharmacies. Savings may vary by drug. Caremark may obtain manufacturer rebates and other fees based on your prescription drug purchases. These rebates may be retained by Caremark or shared with you and/or your pharmacy. By using the RxSavings Plus card, you agree to participate in our program in which a pharmacist may discuss safe, effective alternative drugs that could provide you with additional savings.
For more information regarding this program, please review how the plan works, frequently asked questions or contact us toll-free at 1-877-673-3688.

#192259 - 07/06/05 11:27 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hmmm that's weird. I'm all out of ideas! Good luck figuring this out.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 581

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review