All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Qualifications new
      #192474 - 07/06/05 06:48 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Sorry it took me so long to reply...lost my internet connection last night.

I have a Masters in Instructional Technology/Curriculum and Instruction since I work with assistive technology (Braille, reformatting text into audio, etc). Most of the staff I work with have degrees in anything from social work, rehab counseling, physical therapy, and teaching. Typically the field prefers those with a masters degree but there are some with just a bachelors. The largest qualifications seem to be individuals with lots of patience, understanding, good listening skills, and a willingness to do what is in the best interest of the student even when that means fighting the administration to have them realize the benefits over the actual cost. I find that my experience in working with victims of sexual assaults, mental and physical abuse, child abuse reporting and also drug awareness has been extremely beneficial.

We deal with everything from individuals suffering from diabetes, cancer, Crohns, IBS, fibro, diabetes, organ transplants, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, blindness, deaf or hard of hearing, speech impairments, eating disorders, depression, and anxiety. We work with individuals who have many of these disabilities or just one...but all are hard to overcome the stereotype that seem to be associated with disabilties.

My interest in disabilities has been for twenty years after I broke my back (celebrate my 20th anniversary of my surgery next Monday). My fifth grade teacher thought that because of the injury that meant for some reason I was no longer as smart as I had been and that I needed to be with the special education students. After spending time with them, I realized that if being "normal" was the ideal than I would rather be disabled since they were a better group of people who were more honest and had much better goals! This was before ADA would benefit me so it was a long struggle (having a classroom on the 4th floor with no elevator and stuck on crutches for 2 years). When I got to college I worked as a campus tour guide giving tours. My favorite tour was working with a blind mother of a prospective student. I really looked at the campus much differently in realizing that it was easier to share the beauty just describing the little details like the fall colors, or campus architecture that most overlook. The thank you note that the office got from the mother on making the tour "visable" and yet informative for the entire group without making her blindness an issue made her happy that her son had selected my alma mater. I love just looking at that note as a reminder that what I do does make a difference.

I would definitely encourage you to pursue it. My recommendation would be to look at the colleges nearby. The community colleges are always in need of assistance in helping students with disabilities or providing counseling to those at risk (even as an academic advisor) without requiring much of an advance degree. We need more people out in the field who have the motivation to do what is needed for individuals who don't often have much options.

Let me know what additional info you need. Feel free to email me at mzilisch@gmail.com.

-Michelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Qualifications new
      #192608 - 07/07/05 06:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Wow. Thanks. It gives me a lot to think about. I'm not ready to go back to work yet, but it's definitely something I can take my time looking into and seeing what's out there. I'd much prefer to work with teens, as that's where I have the qualifications. There's just so little funding out there right now.
I am sitting on a board of a program that is a pilot project for all of Canada. It uses art and music to help kids with learning disabilities and behaviour problems work together. They put on plays, create art, work in the community, etc. It's just in the beginning stages, but it looks cool. Maybe I can contribute more with that soon.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

What a great program! new
      #192899 - 07/07/05 02:03 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I wish we had something like that around here for the high school and middle school students. That could be so beneficial to their development and allow them to feel involved. Definitely get involved because it is the most rewarding thing. I keep recruiting people to help out with Junior Achievement and other school oriented programs because they have so much to give to the students without really having to commit more than just some time and compassion.

-Michelle

Re: Going to a psychiatrist...you guys were right all along new
      #193356 - 07/08/05 02:20 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Ruchie,

I am late in responding and I am sorry for that. I have had some issues myself the last couple of weeks and I have had a hard time shaking my emotional ups and downs.

It sounds like you have found the right therapist and that she will work with you to help you get through these bad times and become healthy again. I know that you can do this and you sound like you are ready to get past your abuse and be happy.

You are such a wonderful person and you deserve to be happy. I see you on the boards always helping others even though you are going through difficult times yourself. You are an inspiration to me. You always thank us for being there for you but I think we are all very lucky to have you for a friend and to have you in our lives.

I wish you continued success with your therapist.

Love,

--------------------
Janey

Hi, Janey new
      #193423 - 07/08/05 04:23 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hi, Janey. I've missed you lately. I hope things get better for you.

Thinking of you.

BL

Hey BL new
      #193445 - 07/08/05 05:04 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Thanks for missing me. I have had so many things going on right now and have had a difficult time dealing. Last Sunday I had a little mini breakdown and cried but felt much better afterwards. Hubby didn't know what to do because I am the one who is always positive and keeps everyone on track.

How are you doing? Hopefully ok! I haven't had a chance to get caught up with all the messages. Hopefully this weekend I will have time.

--------------------
Janey

Re: Going to a psychiatrist...you guys were right all along new
      #193529 - 07/09/05 01:29 AM

Unregistered

Hello Ruchie

Do not be afraid of hypnosis or seeing a psychiatrist. Until I lost my job through ill-health, I was a Medical Secretary to a Consultant Psychiatrist here in the UK - she used hypnotherapy and all the patients who had this treatment were amazed with it and I might add, she had a very high success rate. (you would probably be surprised at how many of her patients had been sexually abused as children and then it totally messed up their adult life until she treated them).
I have also had personal experience with psychiatry through my eldest son who is 32, and also have suffered with depression myself on and off.
I do hope you have a good therapist and psychiatrist and wish you all the best as you deal with whatever has traumatised you.

Judith

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3175

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review