All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Going to a psychiatrist...you guys were right all along new
      #191757 - 07/05/05 09:23 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm so proud of you for making the decision to get help!! We are all here for you and never feel bad about posting!! You've already gotten all the advice I would have given so there isn't much more for me to add, other than my love and support! Hugs, hugs and more hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Michelle new
      #191987 - 07/05/05 05:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You're so right. We have a long way to go. But I think slowly, mental illnesses are getting the recognition they deserve. We're definitely not there yet, though. It's so frustrating!!!! I don't ever see myself going back to teaching, but I think I would be very good at counselling, and would love to work at a place like yours. Again, I really admire you for the work you do. Keep it up!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Alicia...you should DEFINATELY new
      #191988 - 07/05/05 05:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

be a counselor!

I'll be your patient...

I got your e-mails, thank you. You are such a WONDERFUL friend and woman! I'm scared to take meds...I've been overmedicated before. But I know if that happens you guys will tell me!

Thanks you for being in my life! *hugs*

Love,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Going to a psychiatrist...you guys were right all along new
      #191996 - 07/05/05 05:57 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I am so happy that you are on track. I never thought I would go to a 'shrink', but now that I live in a place where it is a normal thing for people to do, I look forward to it. It was good to have someone to talk to when my Richie died. Someone who really didn't say anything, but let me talk. I think that aside from medication they only listen anyway. You already know what is wrong. You have written about it here. Now get some meds to balance things out chemically and you'll be fine.
p.s. crying is a GOOD thing. It washes out all the pain.
Carol

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: Alicia...you should DEFINATELY new
      #192144 - 07/06/05 07:21 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Rache - good therapists should start you on a LOW dose to start with and increase it slowly. Also, they should NOT increase it without your OK. My psychiatrist always asks for my input before making any med changes. So the fear of being over medicated should ease. They'll start you low and monitor you carefully. Also, your husband will be a good gauge for you, too. It's always good to have someone close to you monitor you for changes.

--------------------

Re: Alicia...you should DEFINATELY new
      #192154 - 07/06/05 07:39 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ruchie, I agree with Alicia. The psychiatrist should start you out on a very low dose of a med and then at follow up visits, he will ask you how you're doing. If he feels like you need more (and many times you do because they start you on a low dose to get your body used to it and then they need to increase it). But if he asks how you're feeling and you are feeling overmediciated (too sleepy, tired or wuzzy), then just tell him you don't feel you can tolerate a higher dose.

You should never feel like you have to take more than you feel comfortable taking. And you can always TRY a higher dose and if you feel like it's too much, you can reduce it (gradually, with the help of your doctor.)

You can do this! You just have to take an active role in your health care. And it's important to find someone you can trust.

Re: Michelle - Question - new
      #192172 - 07/06/05 08:19 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

What qualifications do you need to do what you do? I seriously would love to help teens. I have an Honours degree in Music and a Bachelor of Education. My Father was a Guidance Counsellor when he was a teacher, and I inherited his gift for a "good ear". I was always good at listening to my students problems. They often sought me out. I have dealt with incest, sexual abuse, etc of students. I have dealt with Chidren's Aid, the police, etc. What qualifications do you need? The only unfortunate part is that in our education system, all counselling has been cut to a bare minimum and funding is just not there for such programs like yours. Any advice???

--------------------

Over medicated new
      #192173 - 07/06/05 08:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

When I was overmedicated they had me on MANY drugs at once. They would start me on lots at a time...does this sound unsafe? It WAS for me! It made me worse off then I was to start with!

This is why I fear psychiatrists (I fear psychologists because they have abused me as well). It is SO hard to trust in my world!

Hubby and I had a LONG talk last night and I decided I have to trust SOMEONE if I am to get help. (My decision...not his). I have ben knowcked down before...but now I need to get well. And I can't do that without a suppport system that includes doctors apsychologist and a psychiatrist. In the event that there IS a chemical imbalance...I will need medication for this. You can't get that any other way. And I will NOT heal if I don't have a level playing field to start with.

So..as scared as I am...I am going to have to trust. NOT recklessly! Hubby will come with me to the psychiatrist. I looked into my psychologists' credentials and she is certified for EMDR. I have to leave the rest in G-d's hands! I have done my part. I have to let it go.

As an aside...this info. about medicating slowly is VERY helpful to me! If a doc tries to go to fast...or doesn't listen to me...I can SWITCH DOCTORS! I'm NOT a child anymore! I don't have to stay with anyone who is abusive because I have no alternative!!!

I cannot thank you all enough for being here for me! (((((((((((((((((IBS Family)))))))))))))))

Love,

Ruchily

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie---take it slowly new
      #192207 - 07/06/05 09:44 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

It is common in the psychiatric field to prescribe more than one medicine at a time, but I am always a little suspicious of psychiatrists that slap too many prescriptions down on the first visit. (I'm talking about 3-4 meds). I do believe a lot of them overmedicate their patients. You want to get well, not be in a zombie mode!

I had a wonderful doctor at my previous address who was a firm believer in having a patient take only one medicine at a time. Why? This is how he explained it to me.

He said that if he started me on more than one and I had problems with side effects, he would not be able to determine which one was causing the problem. He always had me get "settled" with one medication before adding another one, if needed.

I will back up and say that when I first saw him, it was on an emergency basis---and I was in terrible shape. He did start me on an AD---and gave me a prescription for a benzo for the panic attacks I was having. But the benzo prescription was a temporary thing---to help me through an extremely difficult time---and he said from DAY ONE, that it was only for a short period. (I hadn't slept in days!!!) After I got some sleep and the AD kicked in, he helped me cut that back until I gradually weaned myself off of it.

I don't know if I've totally confused you or not. Prescribing 2 meds together is very common in psychiatry. But I'd just be leary of someone who wanted to slap 3-4 on you the minute you walk in the door.

Everyone is different. Depending on your diagnosis, you may eventually need more than one med. You will just have to see what this doctor says, and no, you don't have to take anything you don't want to. It never hurts to get a 2nd opinion (or a 3rd).

Good luck, sweetie! I hope this isn't causing you more stress! You'll be fine. I'm glad to hear you're taking your husband along. I think that's great. Mine went with me on the first visit---and it sure helped me. I could never remember everything the doctor said, and he helped me sort through it when we got home.

So excited you're moving forward, Ruch.... new
      #192209 - 07/06/05 09:45 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Praying that they will find exactly what you need and that you'll be feeling so much better very soon! Big kudos to your hubby - he sounds like a real gem, seems to know exactly what you need!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4748 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3176

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review