All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Narcotics...
      #190195 - 06/29/05 11:37 AM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

Didn't see a forum directly pertaining to medicines so I figured I'd post this here.

Has anyone had any experience with narcotic use for controlling "out of the blue" IBS attacks? I talked to my doc today and he agreed to try that approach and perscribed me a limit script. But i'm not sure exactly how well these things work and the doc had never heard of using narcs for IBS control.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes new
      #190214 - 06/29/05 12:14 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Yes, specifially I've been on opiate therapy for the better part of a decade to control my IBS and gastritis. Although doctors in this country (the US) are hesitant to go this route, it does still remain a viable option for those for whom traditional alternatives have failed. I've tried ADs, and most anti-spasmotics, diet and meditation therapy, but nothing has worked as well for me as opiates to control my D.

Please keep in mind this is not an option for C sufferers, as these drugs can be very constipating and can swing you to a C if you are not careful.

I'm currently on codiene 4x+ daily, with high doses of loperamide (aka Imodium, which is absorbed through anal opioid receptors). People forget Imodium is also an opiate because of the absence of euphoria associated with the drug (see this page for additional information about loperamide).

I also highly recomend (only if you're D again) vicodin, percodan or percocet for "out of the blue" attacks. These high dose opiates will reset the system almost immediately. But they will also get you pretty high too, so please folks, no driving or writing checks while you're under the influence.

Good luck!

~nelly~

Re: Yes new
      #190248 - 06/29/05 12:54 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I use Xanax for the anxiety and Vicodin for the pain of IBS. I am IBS C and I do have to be careful as Nelly mentioned, most narcotics have a constipating side effect and can be very addicting if you are not careful with them.

This won't apply to you but for others reading, neither of these drugs should be taken while pregnant! The Xanax has been proven to retard fetal development, so if you are trying to get pregnant or are pregnant, stay away from them! Luckily, my IBS hasn't been too awful lately and I haven't really needed them!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Narcotics... new
      #190259 - 06/29/05 01:21 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

My previous doc agve me an Opium based white syrup to control my d. Needless to say all my friends wanted some. But I didn't share.

I'm stumped by this new
      #190267 - 06/29/05 01:42 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Why did he prescribe it for you if he's never heard of it being used for IBS? Just because you asked for it? That's scary.

Re: I'm stumped by this new
      #190269 - 06/29/05 01:44 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Is this in response to my reply?

If so, he is very old school where he probably learnt that is was the best thing to control bad 'd'.

#190289 - 06/29/05 02:39 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I use Co-codamol (tylenol-plus) for pain and D attacks, but I'd only consider using it daily/regularly to control D if nothing else worked - like with Nelly.

Have you tried diet, SFSs and regular Immodium (works the same kind of way but is def. not addicting).

#190394 - 06/29/05 08:20 PM
dan the redneck man

I'm on the IBS diet and I take metamucil tabs. I also take 25mg of Nortripiline HCL at bed time. The narcotice is for out the blue attacks.

Re: I'm stumped by this new
      #190398 - 06/29/05 08:24 PM
dan the redneck man

I read about the use of narcs in Heathers book "IBS- the first year", page 79. I showed the Doc this info and he did a search on his palm pilot through some of his medical references and agreed to give me five tablets with the conditions that my parents monitor me and I have his personal cell number to alert him of any possible conditions or questions. He is a reletively young doctor and is open to suggestions and works with me to treat my case of IBS more like a friend than a doctor. I'm very happy with this doc.

Re: Yes new
      #190401 - 06/29/05 08:29 PM
dan the redneck man

I'm IBS-D most of the time, occasionly I get lucky and when I get an attack it will be IBS-C. I got the vicodin for emergencies when I absolutely have to leave the house during an attack i.e. leaving college to carpool back home for christmas or a required group lecture that I have to attend but isn't really educational. The doc was also very adament about not doing anything requiring precsise attention ie driving or operating a chain saw.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1992 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2489

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review