All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Then I went to the dentist...
      #189803 - 06/28/05 11:29 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

And I have to get a root canal!! What the hell is going on???
It's on this this tooth that I have a crown on which was SO PAINFUL to get done, and has been bothering me ever since (like 4 years ago). I kept going back and back to the dentist I used to see, complaining off pain and discomfort and stuff and he told me it was fine.
Now turns out, I have major nerve damage and have to get in straightaway or I could end up with a major infection!
I have a huge hole in the tooth behind the one that I need the root canal on, so I need to get that dealt with as well as two other little holes.

Plus, he said that in the next couple of years all my fillings (and I have a load because there was some screw up when I was little and I basically had to get all my back teeth filled) will have to be replaced!!

I am so scared, I hate going to the dentist so much. I asked if they could give me something, but they said no, that I just have to have the needles. I can't bear the needles in my mouth, it makes me so upset. I came home and started crying, and I haven't been able to stop.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong to have all this happening to me, I just can't handle it. I hate, hate, hate the dentist. When I was little, I had to go to a special children's dentist because I just used to freak out. I just haven't gotten over it, I am so scared.

Man, this just sucks so much.

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Then I went to the dentist... new
      #189804 - 06/28/05 11:37 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I read about a new bad thing in your life almost every week. Steph, did you break a mirror for all this bad luck?

Get one of the friendly board witches to cast a good luck spell or something!

#189809 - 06/28/05 11:41 AM
Stephie

Quote:

I read about a new bad thing in your life almost every week. Steph, did you break a mirror for all this bad luck?

I don't know!! I must have! I can't figure out if this many bad things are actually happening, or if I am just over reacting to normal things that happen to everyone.

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#189811 - 06/28/05 11:43 AM
Sara-Sage

Nope, they're def bad. You RE NOT overreacting!

I added a bit to my response about getting a good luck spell cast for you!

Good Luck Spells new
      #189814 - 06/28/05 11:45 AM
Stephie

I could definitely use one.
Maybe I should carry a rabbit's foot around with me or something, I'd be willing to try about anything right now.

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Good Luck Spells new
      #189818 - 06/28/05 11:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Your luck HAS to change!

Try anything and everything...

Ha ha I found one for you..... new
      #189824 - 06/28/05 12:05 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

just say these words when the moon is full:

"Lady of luck come out of your hiden course
bless your light upon me as the light of the moon shines above
and in the light of luck will be blessed i, when the moon is next to be full."

--------------------

#189836 - 06/28/05 12:27 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

What? You've gotten awful luck with medical people lately!

If you've got time and it's not bothering that much, I would get another dentist. I have a needle phobia and my dentist gives me valum before the appointment and the nitrosoxide gas during the appointment.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#189846 - 06/28/05 01:09 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

The dentist freaks me out too. What about Nitrous Oxide? Whenever I have work done that is what I as for.

--------------------

Tommy new
      #189855 - 06/28/05 01:42 PM
Stephie

Hi Tommy,

When I asked, he said no. He said, "You'll be fine" and that was the end of it... Have you ever run into this? Do I have to beg or break down right in the office to get them to understand how freaked out I am?
Adrian says I can call back and make a scene, but now I feel like a huge baby and I don't want to...

How do you go about this?

I'm just freaking right out.
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Just waiting for a full moon, then!! -nt- new
      #189856 - 06/28/05 01:43 PM
Stephie

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Some dentists offer it... new
      #189858 - 06/28/05 01:48 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

...some don't. Go to another dentist!! One that offers "painless dentistry"-- look for those 2 words. Usually they'll give you a pill to take the night before (so you get a good night's sleep), one pill to take in the office, then the nitrous oxide gas to strap to your nose while they're working.

Keep looking for a good dentist!! There is help out there if you look for it! Otherwise you're wide-awake and traumatized, and believe me, they won't care.

Good luck--

~nelly~

I would get a 2nd opinion AND new
      #189861 - 06/28/05 01:53 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I would find a dentist that CARES about my PAIN!

Steph...you did NOTHING bad to deserve this! Just as I did nothing to deserve the abuse I went through *hugs*

I am soooooo sorry for all you are going through! Did you get my e-mail last week? I understand if you can't respond...but please know we all love you and care about you!!!

Keep posting! these are def. not positive things in your life right now! BUT THEY ARE SO NOT YOUR FAULT! You are a WONDERFUL person full o love and light and life!

Sending you love and peace and only positive things,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#189890 - 06/28/05 02:47 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Steph, oh boy, you do seem to go from one problem to another. I have only had one root canal and that was enough for a lifetime! It was not a pleasant experience.

I agree with the others. If you don't feel comfortable with this dentist, try to get a second opinion. If that's not possible, I won't hesitate to explain your fear to him and see if he can give you something to relax you.

You shouldn't have to suffer through this.

Good luck! And yes, unfortunately, fillings get old and they have to be replaced. I'm going through that now.

I'm so sorry - I have a bit of dentist phobia too... new
      #189904 - 06/28/05 04:05 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I'm embarrassed to tell you last time I saw a dentist. Guess it's about that time.

I hope it's as painless as possible. I'd seriously consider asking them to knock you flat out. SEriously, they might do it?

GL!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Wishing a change in your "luck" new
      #189910 - 06/28/05 04:30 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Steph,

Sorry to hear that you are having more bad luck and with a dentist visit like that coming up *shudders* I would be definitely wanting to be put under so I didn't know what was going on.

Hope things change for the better for you since you certainly deserve some great news for a change. I will keep you in my thoughts. *hugs*

-Michelle

Steph new
      #189978 - 06/28/05 07:16 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I just asked for it. I wouldnt break down and make a scene. Just be firm. Say listen, I have a great fear of this type of surgerya nd without it I am liable to be harmed when you try and give me the needle because I WILL twitch and squirm. Just say that is a fact. You can also just say you are under the care of counselor or what not and that you get panic attacks from this type of stress. That should do the trick. Or you can find another dentist.

--------------------

Sorry Steph new
      #189982 - 06/28/05 07:32 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think we are both standing under the same black cloud, sweetie. I've had a major accident, had my groceries stolen while I was out walking in 100 degree heat because I have no car, broke off half my front tooth and now need a root canal and a crown (mega expensive), lost out on a great apartment that would remove me from this stress induced apartment, broke my blender and stepped on glass that is now launched in my foot, locked myself out of my apartment in the heat and pouring rain for hours until my landlord finally came to rescue me...and I've been dependent on others to try and get me to work. I've had to rent a car to get some GF food and to go car shopping, which costs money. I saw a car the first day and lost out on it as it was sold 30 minutes before I got there! I was referred to a great doctor by a friend and the doctor who is actually in my crappy insurance plan, but she isn't accepting new patients, ....I can't even remember what else. Except for this stupid GI distress with great pain and constipation out of this world. And this heat is really wearing me down.

I don't know how I will make car payments, I am so scared and just tired.

Sorry to vent to you in your venting post, but I just feel we share this bad luck bond!

So, Babe, when is this cloud going to lift from over our heads? Do you want to run away from home with me? We can take Ranger!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

(((((((((STEPH)))))))))) new
      #189996 - 06/28/05 08:42 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I SO understand. I too am a dentistphobe! I had to get a molar out about 8 months ago and I worked myself up over it so much that I had a major IBS attack in the chair (I didn't disgrace myself, it was just a major pain attack ) then DH had to carry me out to the car cause my tummy was too painful to stand up and I also thought I was going to faint! The worst thing was is that when he took the tooth I didn't even know he done it and it was all over so was sitting there still panicking about it and all the while it was done! (((((((hugs)))))) I hope you're luck picks up soon!

--------------------
Amy

#190002 - 06/28/05 09:28 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Stephie! None of this is your fault! Don't ever think that - you're just going through a rotten patch right now! Bad things happen to people all the time, and sometimes the first thing just gets to us so that it's a bit harder to deal with the next issue, and then harder to deal with the next issue ... and it all keeps piling up It's enough to drive anyone bonkers. Please try not to take this so hard - I know you can get through it!

I agree with Nelly, some docs offer NO2 and some don't. Your dentist should do something for his patients that have a hard time with surgery, but if he won't then find another doc. Plus you can get a second opinion about getting all of your fillings replaced. Don't let them bully you on this one! It's your mouth, and you don't have to let them hurt you!

Good luck, hon! I'm sending you some good luck wishes!!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 406 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2123

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review