All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Hey Beth, I'm probably too late but..... new
      #189995 - 06/28/05 08:35 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'd skip the insurance but maybe add the disability thing if you think it's at all possible you'll end up on disability even for a short time again. You don't want the car being taken away cause you're too sick to work! Good luck. I hope this goes well for you. It's about time the good luck fairy paid you a visit

--------------------
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Buying a Used Car new
      #190004 - 06/28/05 09:46 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Not to be the dissenting opinion ...

I would think very hard about refusing the warranty. I just bought a car in May, and I was in the same boat - I didn't want to pay for something that I might never use. But we realized that my lifters are hydraulic and will likely need to be replaced and that will cost at least $600. And if I ever got into an accident (which I did a week after I bought the car, but thankfully I was in my old vehicle) where my airbags went off, that would cost me $3000 to replace. I got the warranty, refused the credit insurance, and bought gap insurance (which will cover the remainder of my loan if the car gets totalled).

So now that I've given my opinion, if I were you, I would do some research on your specific car to find out if there are any items that typically need to be replaced in the first 6 years or so and see if that adds up to more than the cost of the warranty. I don't mean to make this harder for you, hon. I just don't want to see you lose any money! Hope this helps - good luck to you, and WAY TO GO getting a new car!!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Congrats on the new car! new
      #190009 - 06/28/05 11:11 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Beth,

Congrats on the new car. Course I wish the signing the loan papers, the new debt and all the other stress that comes along with big purchases didn't impact the IBS as much as it does. I hope that you are feeling better soon tummywise.

If you do find a money tree, let me know. I would be interested in getting some shoots to plant in my own yard. Might be a great time to get started in tree farming.

-Michelle

Re: Congrats on the new car! new
      #190164 - 06/29/05 10:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, congrats! I know car payments suck but most people need a car so not too many ways around car payments!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Good Luck Beth!!! -nt- new
      #190174 - 06/29/05 10:59 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

--------------------

Do you know how... new
      #190175 - 06/29/05 10:59 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I can find that info out concerning ..."I would do some research on your specific car to find out if there are any items that typically need to be replaced in the first 6 years"? Plus, the car is already 4 years old so the warranty would cover it up to 8 years.

What is gap insurance and who do you get it from?

Sorry to hear you were in an accident to! They are very frightening. I slid right under a truck!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Tommy??? new
      #190177 - 06/29/05 11:01 AM
Augie

Can I have your opinion on the warranty issue? I know Tina said I could email you, but I didn't want to bother you...but now that your here....

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Michele new
      #190179 - 06/29/05 11:04 AM
Augie

My hand was shaking the whole time I was signing the 5 year contract! I have to stop looking it as spending 1/2 my salary on a car...and just take it one month at a time.

You said the same thing as my mom...I need to get to work, I need to get to places...I need a car! No way to get around it. Just wish I had more money to "play around" with. Things are just so tight now...I have no idea where this extra money for the car is going to come from!

--------------------
~ Beth

Heh! new
      #190180 - 06/29/05 11:05 AM
Augie

It's a deal! If I find a money tree growing...it's shoots all around!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Tommy??? new
      #190187 - 06/29/05 11:14 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

You can bother me anytime. Warranties are tricky when it comes to cars. On a used car, I think it is good to have one. That is my opinion. On new cars it is not worth it because they have standard 3 year warranties.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 642 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13120

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review