All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Does anyone know much about Viacord cord blood banking?
      #186469 - 06/15/05 10:26 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I went to the site, and it's pretty informative, but I'm hoping to get someone's opinion that's done it. And I'm really wondering about the price, which of course isn't included on the site.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone know much about Viacord cord blood banking? new
      #186475 - 06/15/05 10:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hey Rachel! I've checked into this as well. I think it was around $2,000 and my obgyn really recommended it. Its great, especially if you have a small family and might have a hard time finding a donnor or something if your child was to become ill.

I've researched it a fair amount and it seems like a great idea. I can't find ANYTHING bad about it other than the price. I'm hoping we have enough money to do it when/if I ever have a child!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#186509 - 06/15/05 01:13 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Yeah....it's just way too expensive for me to do. Plus from what I've read it can only be used for 15 years, which isn't that great.
I am not going to do it, I don't know anyone that has...
I know some companies have monthly payment plans if you really want to do it.

I would take a look at your family history - if you have no problems with illness in young children/etc, just consider how expensive it is.

It's such a hard choice, you feel guilty not doing it almost!

--------------------
~Cara~

#186519 - 06/15/05 02:11 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I think some places also charge a fee yearly to store the cord. I looked into it a little when I was pregnant with Zoe but I could get little information. My dr. never even mentioned it.

Michele- delete that if .

#186521 - 06/15/05 02:31 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, I do believe there is a yearly storage charge on top of the initial charge. We don't really have any family illness but I came from a VERY small family so its hard to say for sure. I feel guilty not doing it because "what if" they child gets sick and it could have saved them and you didn't do it??? But than again, that money could be used for a lot of other things. Its a tough decision, if money is no object than I would say do it, otherwise you have to weight the cost factor.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Michele new
      #186526 - 06/15/05 02:44 PM
Cara4503

How have you been lately?? And WHERE?? I haven't heard from you in a few days

I've been getting really busy, and have had an awful 2 weeks with MS. I've been throwing up a ton every night. I just got a prescription for Zofran today to help me with the nausea, so we'll see what that does. I've just been having a really rough time lately.

Where are you in your cycle now? Are you on the 2ww? Catch me up please!!!

--------------------
~Cara~

Cara new
      #186567 - 06/15/05 06:52 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hi babe
so sorry to hear that the MS has got worse...really feel for you there and you know it! You MUST be near the end...aren't you almost 14 weeks? I am praying for you that it stops NOW XXXXX :-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#186572 - 06/15/05 07:10 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

I am so glad that they are actually offering this now. My Mom has had Multiple Sclerosis for 15 years and she is excited about it because some of her doctors say that in the long run they are doing studies that the cord can be used in treating MS and also other diseases. I say why not...if you have the money and it could possibly do some good for someone in your family or someone else for that matter..why not!

Re: Cara new
      #186631 - 06/16/05 06:05 AM
Cara4503

Yeah - almost 14 weeks....last night I took Zofran, which cost me $30 for 20 pills! I shouldn't complain though because w/o insurance it's $20 a pill! Anyways, it's supposed to stop nausea and vomiting...I took it at 6:00 last night and was throwing up at 8:00. SO I guess I wasted $30.

I had an awful day yesterday, my OB was such a jerk I'm tempted to write a letter to his practice. I cried most of the day yesterday from things he said to me, and I just felt awful yesterday. So let's hope today is better.

Ya know, one thing about this is I'm actually getting used to throwing up. It's like I just think, 'well...let's get it over with'. We have all these plans coming up, concerts and company and stuff....and I'm just praying that this stops soon! I feel like I can't go anywhere at night!

Thanks for being so sweet Dalia!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Cara new
      #186644 - 06/16/05 07:34 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am so sorry the Zofran didn't work. Is it something you have to take for a few days for it to kind of 'build up' in your system? Does nothing else help, like eating light, dry foods or ginger? I know that probably sounds like a pathetic suggestion from someone that has never experienced what you are...and I am sure you have tried that already.
About your OB - DEFINETLY write a letter of complaint. These Dr's should be told. Why the hell should you spend the day SO upset uneccessarily ontop of dealing with your MS? Even forget the MS, a Dr has NO RIGHT to make you feel like that, they should be having the opposite effect. Seriously it will make you feel so much better and empowered to actually write it and send it off. Go for it girl!!
Feel better dolly...so sorry its carrying on :-(

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5286 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5394

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review