All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for Aussies
      #186272 - 06/14/05 11:50 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I have a question for all you folks down under.

My hubby's going to be done with his degree in about a year and a half or so, and we're really hoping that he can get a post-doc position in Australia (or New Zealand). The only lead so far is at Flinders University in Adelaide.

So I was just wanting the "local" opinion about Adelaide. All the city council and tourism web sites make it sound pretty cool, but that's their job, you know.

Also, do you know anything good/bad about Flinders U or the University of Adelaide (which has things closer to what I'm interested in)?

Or if you know of any companies/universities doing work in bacterial motion (him) or environmental engineering (me) or astronomy (me) that would be good info, too. --Long shot, I know, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bump for the weekend -nt new
      #186908 - 06/17/05 10:24 AM
Dia

--------------------
IBS-D

Ummm I'm an Aussie..... new
      #187107 - 06/18/05 03:24 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

but sadly have never been to Adelaide so I won't be much help. I only see the tourism stuff too I do have a friend that moved from here to Adelaide about 4 years ago and she absolutely loves it there! I also had my SIL's brother working there for a while and he seemed to like it pretty well too. That's about all I know though, sorry.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Question for Aussies new
      #187187 - 06/18/05 06:49 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I'm no help at all with Australia, but by all means come to NZ! I live in Wellington, and I love it here. It's a lot smaller than Auckland, but we do have a good university (Victoria University of Wellington) and a goodish university (Massey University, they have campuses in Auckland, Wellington and Palmerston North).
I wouldn't live in Auckland again, they have huge traffic problems, and it's really big and suburbanised and impersonal. Palmerston North is small, very much a university town, but it has good shops and cafes and bars, and it's quite lively for a little place. My parents live close to there, and I was there for six weeks for work in Summer.
Dunedin is another good university town (Otago University). I haven't been there in years, but it's quite cute and has a great student culture. Also, you get SNOW in winter in Dunedin!! (snow is a novelty to me cause we don't get it here in Wellington).
Other universities to try might be University of Auckland, Lincoln University, Waikato University and Canterbury University.
All of NZ is pretty OK, when it comes down to it.

--------------------
*Emma*

Thanks for your replies! new
      #189887 - 06/28/05 02:40 PM
Dia

Sorry I was slow in thanking you guys, work has been really busy, so I haven't had as much time for important stuff like these boards .

I appreciate your comments. I really hope something works out and we make it down there!

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 506

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review