All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question time...
      #185807 - 06/11/05 11:42 PM
Carol D.

Reged: 03/26/04

Hi all,

Still having trouble w/my tummy. Has anyone ever had a gastric empty study test?

Thanks,
Carol

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I've had one new
      #185891 - 06/12/05 03:41 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

what would you like to know? Mine showed delayed gastric emptying, but not severe. In other words, my food just sits there, I get full very easily after eating small amounts of food, and fiber supplements are not recommended for this condition. It is called Gastroparesis.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Question time... new
      #185903 - 06/12/05 05:27 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yep. I watched Beetlejuice and part of Back to the Future. As far as tests go, it's not bad.

chinagrl? new
      #185912 - 06/12/05 06:36 PM
Augie

How did your results come out? If you had delayed emptying, did they tell you not to take an SFS? Do you take an SFS?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: chinagrl? new
      #185921 - 06/12/05 08:05 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Well, it was quite some time ago, when I was a teenager. They decided my food was a bit slow, and put me on a medicine called Propulsid (idea was that it propelled food faster through the system). I found it to be very effective, but then they discovered it occasionally killed people around my age if they had previously undiscovered heart conditions and removed it from the market. Which is a shame, because it worked for me without any death like side effects. The whole thing hasn't really been discussed for a long time since then.

Re: I've had one new
      #185932 - 06/12/05 10:54 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

i also have gastroparesis, having been diagnosed as such after a gastric emptying study. It's a long and tedious procedure, not at all painful (hope you like eggs though!!) And is good to know if you have slow digestion such as this, as it does alter your diet quite a bit! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me as well!

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Maikko new
      #185962 - 06/13/05 07:30 AM
Augie

How did it alter your diet? My doctors have not made any dietary recommendations for me. He says to eat anything I want. He also have not said whether Soluble fiber supplements would be hurtful or helpful.

What do you eat differently than others without gastroparesis? And do you have any comments about whether the SFS would be recommended or not? I see you lean towards C, so how do you get "going" with the BMs?

How delayed was your test? Mine was 97 minutes for half when average is 90. Was yours worse?

I too am C pretty bad. I'm looking for dietary/supplement/med help for my Gastroparesis and IBS combo.

Thanks. Nice to share with someone else with this diagnosis.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Maikko new
      #186072 - 06/13/05 04:16 PM
maikko

I also have a nutritionist so she helps me out. Here is a good link for dietary things: web page
I guess i'm on the step 2, but I don't eat meat and i'm lactose intolerant. I was told to try and eat 6-8 small meals a day, and to keep my fat intake between 10-15%, less being better. I also take reglan and zelnorm. I have just started both of these so i'm not sure how well they work yet. For my C, I use Philips tablets, daily (my GI doc said it was ok to) the pills are different from the chews or the milk of magnesia, becuse it is just magnesium in the tablet, that's it. I've also used equalactin, but you have to take a lot of it and drink a lot of water for it to work. I also eat oatmeal, I think it helps me out and it doesn't bother me (though it takes longer to digest, so i keep it watery, not thick) and I drink LOTS of water. I'm not sure what my minutes were, but at 120 minutes I had digested 20% as opposed to the proposed 90-100% of those lovely eggs
The hardest part about having both GP and IBS is that one says eat little to no fiber, and the other says the more fiber the better!!! THis makes it a very tough compromise.
Does this info help? I hope we can talk more in the future, as I am also glad to read of someone with the same problems.

--------------------
--maikko

Exactly new
      #186104 - 06/13/05 07:29 PM
Augie

It seems impossible to do the IBS with concentration of getting in Soluble fiber and some insoluble fiber and taking an SFS when the gastroparesis is total low fiber.

I don't know how to treat both at the same time. I don't know what I'm doing or what would be best...to try to increase the fiber or go total no/low fiber.

I tried Reglan, but it made me really anxious, on edge, and "wired" so I stopped it. I hope you have better luck with it. Zelnorm also doesn't help me. I'm pretty much just constipated, full, and bloated all the time....and stressed because I have no idea what foods to eat to treat both my conditions.

I've seen that web page before...but I don't follow it. I guess I'm still trying to increase the IF in hopes of having a BM. I'm probably doing the complete opposite thing I should be doing. But my doctor has been no help. It sounds like you have a worse case of GP than I do.

I take it you don't eat much fruit or veggies either, especially not with the peel? I eat millet (whole grain) and have recently started to eat cooked fruits/veggiew with the skin in an attempt to increase my insoluble fiber. I also eat brown rice cereals and breads. I'm probably totally screwing myself up, but this is what is recommended for constipation. I am totally confused at this point. I am so stressed out about what I should/should not be doing. I am in pain all the time so I don't know if what I am doing is worsenig the condition or helping.

How much Equalactin did you take for it to work? That contains calcium which is constipating for me.

Eating 6-8 meals a day seems impossible while working a FT job. I only get one 30 min lunch break, so not like I can stop 3 or 4 times for a meal.

Any thoughts/ideas/successes you have, please let me know. Email me if you'd like (it's in my profile).

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Exactly new
      #186186 - 06/14/05 08:16 AM
maikko

sorry to not reply by email, but i'm newish and not sure how to do it. of course, someone else might also like this info...
Even though it has calcium, equalcatin worked well for me, BUT I took 1 or 2 pills every time i ate (2 for meals, 1 for snack) so 6-8 pills a day, and there's only 24 in a box!! Then with every pill i drank at least 8 oz of water, because with these pills, the more water you drink, the better for C, the less water, the better for D. But i found the Phillips tablets lasted longer and work different. Equalcatin made my stool bulky until i felt like going, phillps makes my stool softer and then i go. so they both have their qualities. I also used to take benefiber, but it just made me full faster and I could never take enough to the point where it worked well. I tried metamucil wafers, but those make me full super fast!
About eating--I eat LOTS of fruit, but yeah, no skin. If you had a juicer, then maybe? I eat babyfood for my fruit source, or i make my own smoothies! If you have a good enough blender or food processor, you could get in flax seeds, oatmeal, soymilk, strawberries or bannana and get lots of fiber that's already been "chewed" so to speak. It may take a while to drink, but it works for getting in fiber! And liquids always digest faster than solids. As for veggies, still working on that. I eat lots of squash, mushrooms, and carrots--anything green=bad for me sadly.
I'm like you--I know I'm screwing myself slightly when i eat fiber, but if i eat it in small doses with lots of fluids, well, it's better than being C, that's for sure!!
As far as having a full time job, well I never had one (still in grad school) but in all the jobs i've worked when i wasn't allowed to eat, i would just bring a few foods that are easy to snack on discreetly (nothing noisy or messy, so something like crackers, cookie, dried fruit) and tea is good, or if you're on the go, vitamin water. It goes down easy and its good for getting in all those nutrients we're missing from lack of fruits & veggies!!
Well, feel free to write or e-mail me back with what you think (it'll help me figure out how to use my e-mail too!!)

--------------------
--maikko

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review