All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Clean or messy?
      #183460 - 06/04/05 09:49 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Ok I USED to be a neat freak! Now I just don't seem to care! I would be so embarssed if someone dropped by right now! My house looks like a tornado hit it. I just don't feel like using my time ot clean like i used to. I am so far behind on laundry it is becoming a joke. I have scrapbook stuff all over my kitchen table and just STUFF everywhere!

So I was wondering is your house clean , messy or just flat out a disater zone? Come on be honset ladies and gents!
Also what do you do to keep your house picked up! I am failing at this!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Clean or messy? new
      #183463 - 06/04/05 09:56 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I am a pretty clean person. People walk into my house and are always wicked suprised at home great it looks. (however.. as they are saying that.. i'm thinking about what a mess it is haha).

Anyways.. I can make my house look clean and in place.. but i'm not as good at scrubbing the floors, shower and dusting. to be honest.. i'm better at making things LOOK clean.. but they aren't always as clean as they could be.

good luck with it!

--------------------

#183466 - 06/04/05 10:25 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

We joke that my parents only come over when my house is messy. They just stopped over hehehe. Ever since Zoe was born my house is rarely orgainized. My carpet never looks vaccummed, even minutes after I vaccumm. It's dark blue and picks up ever little lint. Tory asked this morning if we could just blow up the sink becuase it's full of dishes from breakfast and me making a pasta salad for later. I swear I clean, turn my back and poof it's a disaster again. Sometimes I give up. I guess that is life with kids. I just want to know how my sister keeps her house clean all the time.

Torbetta new
      #183468 - 06/04/05 10:44 AM
heather7476

OO I can so relate!! I did dishes TWICE yesterday and I still have sink full today! GGRRRR!! I vacumed and dusted the familyroom and you can't even tell! I am about to give up!! I just want a day where my house STAYS clean for 24hours after I clean it! I know DREAM ON!!!LOL
HUGS

--------------------
Heather7476

#183473 - 06/04/05 11:09 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

We're messy. We just are. It is way worse during the school year. We both worked at least 12 hour days every day and we were just too tired to give a crap at the end of the day and clean. Someday I hope we have enough money to hire a housekeeper!

#183476 - 06/04/05 11:30 AM
heather7476

Quote:

We're messy. We just are. It is way worse during the school year. We both worked at least 12 hour days every day and we were just too tired to give a crap at the end of the day and clean. Someday I hope we have enough money to hire a housekeeper! O one can dream!! I want one so bad, but my hubby teases me that I would clean before they got here so it wouldn't be so messy! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#183477 - 06/04/05 11:31 AM
heather7476

Good for you girl! I used to be that way everyone would say how clean my house was and I would still think it was a mess. Now when I say excuse the mess I REALY MEAN IT!!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#183479 - 06/04/05 12:24 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I'm a definate clean FREAK. I love cleaning. LOL. Don't kill me! I just hate messes and I hate feeling disorganized....
Today I cleaned the bathrooms, did laundry, vacummed, bathed the dogs, dusted, and windexed! LOL. I'm such a DORK!

--------------------
~Cara~

Cara new
      #183483 - 06/04/05 12:45 PM
heather7476

How about you come do my house next!! LOL I did manage to find the kitchen table, do dishes, start laundry and get dinner going! WHEEWW I am done!!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Cara new
      #183486 - 06/04/05 12:48 PM
Cara4503

I only love cleaning MY house! LOL. All my neighbors always ask me to clean their houses - I could make a job out of it, but I don't like other people's toilets - haha.

That's so funny that you 'found' the kitchen table - LOL.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Definitely messy! new
      #183488 - 06/04/05 01:35 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

And I have a housecleaner! How pathetic is that! If I didn't have her we'd be condemned! My house isn't dirty, just messy. Basement family room is a constant state of "toy" disaster. Kitchen counters are always covered. Table is almost never seen due to crap on it. Floors are always littered with toys. Bathrooms are tidy. That I insist upon. Seems like I'm FOREVER doing laundry - my son is potty training and generates a lot of laundry. Sigh. Maybe when they start school I'll catch up. Don't even get me started on my flowerbeds. There's more weeds than flowers. Sigh.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Messy-ish! new
      #183493 - 06/04/05 02:01 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

There's a difference between dirt and clutter. My house doesn't have much in the way of dirt. Clutter, however, is a totally different story. When you put 2 people together in a house, and they're BOTH (1) packrats, (2) addicted to yard sales, and (3) not especially tidy with their personal belongings, you've pretty much come up with the perfect recipe for messiness.

The best tip I have for cleaning is to not even try to do it all. I really only do a massive cleaning when the house gets so screwed up that it even bothers ME. Most of the time, I just "tidy". Pull all the magazines and catalogs back into one pile, take some half-finished knitting projects upstairs, hang up coats, put away tools. Stuff like that makes a huge difference, and I just do it while I'm walking through on my way to do something else - and if you keep up on it, it never has time to build up into a disaster zone. Know what I mean?

My mom was just here, and she says my house is "comfortable" and "lived-in". That works for me! If I were meant to have a home that looks like Martha Stewart's, I'd also have her staff of housekeepers and kitchen help.

Re: Clean & Messy new
      #183500 - 06/04/05 03:05 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Is there a such thing? Some rooms are cleaner than others. Let's see. The dining room is clean cause no one goes in it. The living room is clean also cause we don't use it. Now the Kitchen!!!! Ughhhhhh never clean. Ok, well I have to admit, it's clean for 1 day and that's the day my cleaning lady comes. Now all don't freak out..she only cleans my kitchen floors, bathrooms & their floors and my foyer!!!! She comes every 2 weeks and she's only $25 so it's a bargain. I work full time and I just can't keep up AND nor do I want to spend the only time I have on the weekends cleaning HOWEVER< on my day off, Memorial Day, I must have had some kinda urge. I emptied out my lazy susan in the kitchen, scrubbed it all down, cleaned that little grid like thingy on the bottom of the refrig, and vacummed behind the stove and washer and dryer.. Whewww did it feel good!

I swear I say all the time if I stayed home I'd have a much cleaner house. Well at least until 3 when the kids came home from school each day

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Messy-LESS new
      #183501 - 06/04/05 03:06 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

i finally broke my packrat-ism after 20+ yrs. my ex husband and i loved to do the flea mkts, garage sales, thrift stores 'circuit.' he was the cleaner. i live alone now & love it. i try not to make messes in the first place. such easy maintenance! last time i moved, i simply left everything i could packed up & out in the garage. even it was neatly stacked for a good long while.

i'm a staightener, NOT a cleaner. eek - i hate to touch even dust. (have major ocd..some of us clean; others just check for locked doors, set alarm clocks a gazillion times, straighten, over-wash our hands). i have a cleaning couple, but am so people-phobic, i put off having them for way longer then is normal. c'est la vie.

Re: Casey!!! new
      #183502 - 06/04/05 03:11 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I wish you could have come to my yard sale that I had today I made a whole wopping $50!!! My goal was to make like $100 for my stay at the beach in August with my girlfriends, but oh well it's some spending $$$$$.

I did some yard sale shopping over Memorial Day. Did you get to do any? We had lots going on around there then. Didn't do so well this time. Came home will some Phillies baseball magazines for my son. That's it.

I sometimes do real well with finding small sized shorts and jeans from teenagers who wear their Gap and Old Navy things like once and get tired of them Didn't find much of that this year though. Oh well, maybe for Labor Day sales I'll find some.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#183503 - 06/04/05 03:18 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Definately messy. I am very unorganized and don't usually feel like spending my time cleaning. I do have a lovely Spanish lady that comes to do the big stuff, floors, windows, dusting, bathrooms and changing the sheets, once a week. I am always behind with the laundry and find on Thursday before the maid comes I am always picking up the clutter so that she can clean.

I am months behind on my filing and it is in piles in the computer room. I find most of the time after I have worked all day, go to class if I am taking one or pick my daughter up from whatever practice she is in, get home and cook dinner I am too tired to do any cleaning. I also hate to throw things away. I might need them some day.

--------------------
Janey

#183515 - 06/04/05 04:45 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Messy but clean.

Like Casey, I see a difference. My house is clean, doesn't smell, is dusted regularly but I am untidy with "stuff".
I do a big tidy up every Sunday and try to keep the sitting room tidy and the bathrooms clean all the time but the kitchen table is a lost property dept and covered in newspaper.

We just got our new wardrobe delivered so the bedroom is so much tidier now.

--------------------
S.

Casey & Sinead new
      #183517 - 06/04/05 05:04 PM
heather7476

yhea that is me to not so much dirty just looks wrecked. Papers and toys everwhere. I have notcied when I wake up to a clean house I am a much happier person most of the day.. I think that is why I always get the cleaning bug at night!

--------------------
Heather7476

A bombsite! new
      #183562 - 06/04/05 08:25 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I TRY to be neat, but what with Simon (possibly the messiest person in the WORLD), Archie (destroyer of books, pens, cardboard boxes....anything he can shred/splinter)...and my disinclination to tidy and clean when there's anything else I could be doing...well my house typically looks like a disaster zone!

When we can afford it, we're going to get a cleaner. Cleaning the puppy-footprinted floors KILLS me with my Fibro so I can rarely be ar*ed!

I drive myself crazy..... new
      #183567 - 06/04/05 08:46 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

chasing the kids around the house and cleaning up every bit of mess as they make it then at the end of the day I have a mental breakdown! Generally the only way I can even semi keep my place under control is to obsessively clean it! It drives me nuts! Don't worry too much, as far as I'm concerned parents are entitiled to have mess

--------------------
Amy

Two words: College Apartment new
      #183577 - 06/04/05 10:44 PM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

I am another person that falls into the category of an apartment that is messy but not dirty. My boyfriend and I are both full time college students and never get time to clean up. The dishes are done and the trash is out but our stuff just ends up everywhere. I don't even KNOW how many balls of yarn my kittens have hidden while I was knitting!

Summer is fun... My mom cleans for me...except my room.... that is a DISASTER...

--------------------

#183624 - 06/05/05 09:02 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh gawd.... yeah, as both Andrew & I are extra-busy full time students during the year our apartment is a disaster most of the time. Usually it's not *too* dirty (though it can get pretty nasty during finals and such ) but it's almost always messy... books and papers are *everywhere* and we're so bad for putting clothes away, you'd never know our bedroom was carpeted! lol Luckily we were blessed with a dishwasher in our apt., so at least the kitchen stays relatively clean! We're definitely better at keeping it "clean/neat" though than we were last year when we first moved in - yikes! lol

Hehe I just thought of a funny story about a friend of mine (who's also a student) who lives with her boyfriend (not a student). She got so busy during finals that she didn't have time to do her dishes and stuff, and after a while he just stopped doing them (her dishes) for her and left them piled up and said she could do them when finals were over (not maliciously, kind of jokingly). Anyway - they started growing mold (yes, MOLD!) - but instead of washing them, they moved them to the extra bathroom tub (which they never use) and they lived in there for a week or so! LOL! (It's comforting to know there are people worse than us, haha )

#183979 - 06/06/05 12:44 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Heh! The house I'm currently living in, in my opinion, is a pig sty! There was a time when I couldn't stand to look at clutter, and I kept things relatively clean, but not anymore. I've never been a neat-freak by any means, and I've never been one to "clean-house" weekly like some, but I used to keep things at least picked up. Now, well, my coffee table is constantly littered with magazines, mail, books, etc, and I think I vaccuum maybe once every few weeks.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

now- mostly clean, pre for sale- MESSY! new
      #183988 - 06/06/05 01:03 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

we have to be able to clean up fast, but it still doesn't stay anywhere near spotless between showings right now.. no matter how hard we try!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Definietely clean -nt- new
      #184000 - 06/06/05 01:14 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I wash my dishes as soon as I have digested the meal. I put everything in their proper place and don't put off things that need to be cleaned as that's how things pile up.

#184039 - 06/06/05 02:56 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Well, the neat-nick in me was pretty much still borne I must say. For years I cleaned only when I had guests coming over or when I got frustrated because I couldn't find something and went on a mad tirade and cleaned the house for days meanwhile muttering to myself about how awful it was that I let it get this messy! I must say though that this is one way that being on immunosuppresants has helped some things - I keep things MUCH cleaner in the kitchens and bathrooms now. I used to let dishes pile up in the sink for a night or two and let my bathroom counter get scummy - well, now I think about the germs that could be lirking in the corners and my Formula 409 and clorox wipes are becoming closer standbyes. So I have reformed somewhat I guess - perhaps a revival or the still borne neat-nick? I don't know, but it's better than it once was!

Oh-So-Messy -nt- new
      #184045 - 06/06/05 03:06 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Mostly messy new
      #184064 - 06/06/05 04:09 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Neither DH or I are clean freaks, so we invite people over every month or so, just so we'll clean really well! If that doesn't happen, the mess will eventually drive me nuts and I'll spend a weekend cleaning on my own.

I think having cats (or dogs, too) also just increases the entropy in your house, so nothing can ever stay stacked or on a counter. This doesn't help.

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Dishes... new
      #184074 - 06/06/05 04:31 PM
Cara4503

I am the same way - dirty dishes are a HUGE pet peeve. Plus, if you don't wash them right away they STINK! I'll start doing dishes before Justin is even done eating sometimes!

--------------------
~Cara~

#184090 - 06/06/05 05:37 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Ummm let's see before the 17 month old pretty clean. After the 17 month old welllll let's just say if we can walk through a room without stepping on a toy we are in good shape!!

#184103 - 06/06/05 06:30 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I think the correct term for me is 'clean for company.' I tend to let things slide a little, then to major cleanups every week. I almost always deal with dishes and other such things pretty quickly, since the repercussions of leaving that stuff around are much greater than clothes, etc.

- Vincent

Re: spotless new
      #184114 - 06/06/05 06:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I am spotless. I can't think, breathe, co-exist with a mess.
I just automatically--autonomically and formerly hyper-obsessively clean it up. I can be a mess, but my house must not be a mess. Incidentally, I have to take pills so as not to be absolutely insanely inscrupulous about my cleaning habit. I cannot sleep, though, if there's a mess about. My hands/body just automatically act to clean it up. However, now I do not wake up at three or four just to clean. This is not an exaggeration.

Some ideas new
      #184129 - 06/06/05 08:22 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Check out

Flylady.net

GetOrganizedNow.com

These two websites have helped me tons!

As a child I was super cluttered girl!

Now it depends. if I'm depressed nothing gets done. When i feel good...you know...cause the clutter is decluttered!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I'm the only female in the house....need I say more?! new
      #184224 - 06/07/05 08:43 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I like a clean house. When I was home full-time I fought messes like a housefire all day. Now that I work full-time and hubby is home with the kids...mess doesn't begin to describe it! So, my version of clean has changed. As long as the dishes are washed and the trash cans are emptied...and the laundry is pretty much caught up, I'm happy. I have my boys pick up their stuff just before bedtime so I don't get overwhelmed with the clutter first thing in the morning.

I just think you should do what you can and until company is coming, don't worry about it! It's not going anywhere, that's for sure! Time with family is more precious than how "neat" the environment is.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Cara new
      #184234 - 06/07/05 08:57 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Well, I'll clean my bathrooms if you do the rest lol. We would love to buy a new house but trying to keep this place clean and orgainized (the big word here) is just too much right now. I'm trying to keep Zoe, who is almost crawling from getting a hold of any of the small toys from her sisters. The other issue with a bigger house is more to clean. I think we might want to rething that hehehe. If we have another baby someday we will have to seriously think about it.

Clean but not always tidy! new
      #184245 - 06/07/05 09:11 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I am a clean person and I love to be organized. Everything has a home. My problem is that we have outgrown our space and things are starting to spill out of the closets. We start building our new house in 9 months so I have to put up with it for a little longer!!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4339

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review