All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Fibromyalgia
      #182976 - 06/02/05 02:54 PM
Oakie

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just finished reading Heather's two books a few weeks ago and that's what led me to this website. My mom and I have both been suffering from IBS for as long as either of us can remember. She was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as well. I heard IBS is a symptom of Fibro, does anyone know if this is true? And is there anything special she should do for it?
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Fibromyalgia new
      #182977 - 06/02/05 02:58 PM
Keiyentai

Reged: 06/02/05

Hey. I dontk now if IBS and FMS are related. I have had IBS since I was 14 and my fiance is showing signs of FMS but she doesent have IBS. SO honestly I wouldent know. Maybe ask your doctor?

Hello new
      #182981 - 06/02/05 03:05 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

There are lota of us on her ethat have both IBS and Fibro. I am in the processes of trying to find out if I have fibro right now. I can't realy give any advice except lots of us have both. I was also told by my doc that IBS, Fibro, and VV are considered like kissing cousins. That if you have one of the three you are more likely to devlope one of the other not always, just better chances.

Good luck!

--------------------
Heather7476

#183024 - 06/02/05 04:34 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I was just diagnosed with fibro this year, after suffering from IBS since I was little. It seems I've had fibro for a long time too and I'm looking forward to finally being treated. Welcome to the boards!

#183066 - 06/02/05 07:11 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

tagging on: i have ibs/ no fibro. an acquaintance has fibro/ no ibs - or for that matter...any tummy trouble. we are both in our 50's - 60s. we both have depression. she also has a personality disorder, as a fair number with fibro do. i do not.

i have seen it cited that the 2 can go hand in hand, but that's sometimes, NOT always.

#183119 - 06/03/05 03:24 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I once read that everyone with Fibromyalgia either has IBS or is going to develop IBS. NOTE - that doesn't apply the other way round!

Fibro-diets recommend avoiding acid producing foods. Most fibro triggers (caffeine, alcohol, dairy, etc) are also IBS triggers so this diet is great for that. I'd also recommend she restricts the amount of sugar she eats (sugar crashes are a nightmare with fibro) and that she makes sure she gets lots of (safe) protein. That's all I do. If I eat triggers, sugar or not enough protein, I get fibro-ey.

Oh...if she's not already, she should really be taking a Magnesium Malate supplement (almost all fibromites are deficient in Magnesium and Malic Acid).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2757 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 688

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review