All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What are people taking for Med?
      #178118 - 05/10/05 09:12 PM
beepover

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: In mass, but near Providence RI

I have IBS D, im taking 2 150 mg Zantac for the acid, and 1 immodium AD.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are people taking for Med? new
      #178143 - 05/11/05 05:35 AM
Canada25

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: canada

I have IBS D if D means what I think it does. I don't take meds because I find they don't work. I was on stomach pills meant for everything under the sun before i was diagnosed and the did nothing. As for immodium while it may have lessened my symptoms I had to take it everyday. So now I just save that for when I go on trips or go where I cant go! Ha Ha. I take my acacia(prebiotic) and probiotics regularly and try to drink alot of herbal tea. I am however considering pills for gas where my pain seems to stem from any suggestions?

#178180 - 05/11/05 07:33 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I am A mostly D and I take 4 tbsp of Benefiber a day, 40 mg of Nexium for my GERDS (acid reflux) and if an attack of D occurs I take Nulev (anti-spasmadic) and Immodium AD. And I follow the guidlines of Heather's diet - no red meat, no dairy, no high fat, etc.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#178239 - 05/11/05 09:26 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had IBS-D and then I started taking Modulon (available only in Canada) and the acacia and now I'm a little on the C side but find it easier to control than the D.

I have had D once in the past 14 months since I started taking Modulon so it's definitely been a god send.

#178361 - 05/11/05 05:38 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I have IBS D and I take .10mg of Bentyl 2-3 times a day(depending on the day).

I took it many years ago and believed it stopped working. Gave it another try and it works for the most part. Can't take immodium it "stops" me up! Tried taking Donnatol and it made me feel so "out there".

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

What I take new
      #178532 - 05/12/05 12:01 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I take about 20 Rx imodium a day as preventatives (3 when I get up, 2 before going to bed, 3 before each time I eat, 2 during attacks and 3 after but more if I get really bad attacks), and tylenol-3 for associated pain with eating, total about 3-4 a day. Doing so regularily has kept me stable for years.

I also take tums for severe gas, and a calcium supplement. As well, I'm on the depo shot once every 3 months to help with getting rid of endo completely and managing IBS relating to periods (no periods, no period-related ibs attacks). I take an ocasional nortriptyline 25mg for sleep and kicking, RLS, and gnashing while sleeping as related to fibromyalgia. For I-wish-I-were-dead pain associated with fibro and ibs, I'll take a 7.5 vicodin occasionally.

I've just started regimented heliotherapy for seasonal affective disorder and to promote a better sleep cycle (got me one of dem high falooting SAD sun lamps, and I've been tanning at a salon every 3 days ).

I take Claratin and benedryl, alternatively, for allergies (due to indoor dust and outdoor molds and polllen) and asthma, for which I also take ventolin as an emergency inhaler. I find after puffing on the inhaler I get deeper sleep after the initial rush and crash, so I'll sometimes dose myself during the day knowing I'll sleep deeply that night. Ah, cross-medicating!

That's about all I can think of! This combination works great for me and I've been on them since college, except for the heliotherapy which I started last month. It took me a lot of trial and error to come to this point, and I'm happy with the result!!

My meds.... new
      #178566 - 05/12/05 03:22 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I control mine as best I can with diet ie prevention rather than cure. Like my signature says I have pain symptoms more than BM symptoms, lots of spasming.

I take Colpermin (peppermint caps) when I have very bad cramps but I really think the only thing that gives relief is a hot water bottle. I am always afraid to try pain relief meds as they have always proved hard on my tummy in the pre IBS days.

Hope this helps.

I am IBS-A so usually one issues sorts the other out if you know what I mean (if you don't read Dalia's recent post about this! )

Otherwise I take a steroid inhaler daily for asthma prevention and take ventolin as an emergency inhaler but only about once a month.

When I was stabilising I took citalopram antidepressant and it helped me initially but I am off it now, my scrip ran out when I was on holidays and I just didn't renew it and had no ill effects! (lucky me!)

--------------------
S.

I didn't think it was safe to take 20 immodium/day-n/t new
      #178580 - 05/12/05 04:06 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Bentyl and acacia new
      #178891 - 05/13/05 05:40 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I just started (as in yesterday!) taking 10mg of Bentyl 2 times a day. I'm really hoping that it works and the side effects (dizzy, dry mouth) go away soon!

I became stablish by following the diet and taking almost 4 Tbs of Acacia a day. I'm just hoping that the Bentyl helps get me MORE stable!

Great thread, btw.

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: What are people taking for Med?
      #178898 - 05/13/05 07:05 PM
freeda

Reged: 05/08/05
Loc: SW Michigan

I have a script for NuLev, or Levsin, whatever you want to call it. They give me the generic anyway. I don't really take it much unless I can't walk from the pain. I'm striving for diet-control at this point, as my IBS is not what I would consider severe. (Meaning I'm hugely uncomfortable, but not unable to make it to the bathroom or anything drastic like that.)

I mean to start a SFS soon... have to go shopping.

--------------------
Knowledge is power.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1289 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2911

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review