All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Worried to leave the house
      #176911 - 05/05/05 02:21 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

I have been diagnosed with IBS for about 8 months now. I am still trying to learn what to do and not to do. Yet I still have strong bouts every 3 days or so. I am so worried to leave the house afraid that I might have a bad episode in public. Dont get me wrong Im not a hermit I am just really cautious about where I go and who I go with and how long I will be gone. I lost my job cause I had gotten sick and now it looks like there is no way I am ever going to be able to get a job. Does anyone else have advice? :confused:

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worried to leave the house new
      #176912 - 05/05/05 02:25 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I lost my job too, 9 days before xmas. {{{{BIG HUGS!}}}} If you have a strong bout of IBS every 3 days, try and schedule your outing between the times you are very sick. If I have a severe attack, I can medicate myself with imodium and as long as I don't eat, I'm fine the next day.

Just avoid long car rides and crowds, and stick to familiar places where you can remember where the bathrooms are. I do better indoors, and if we drive to our location I'm always driving so I can pull over asap if necessary.

We've all been there, and you WILL feel less tied to your house when you can better guage what to expect from your body.

Good luck!

#176942 - 05/05/05 04:02 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I agree with Nelly! You take control of your body! Don't let it take control of you! Drive when you have the opportunity. Go to places that have bathrooms. Mentally this all helps since IBS can play games on your mind too and if you tell it that you can beat it, you will! Trust me, we've been there SO many times. When I'm on a long car drive I start to feel anxious about it but then I ask myself why because we can always pull over somewhere even if it has to be on the side of the road. I actually keep a diaper in my glove compartment for "piece of mind". I know I'll never use it but.......
Sooner or later the people that you are closest to will understand and believe it or not I've yet to run into anyone that didn't sympathize or understand. I, myself, tell people about my IBS (some don't). I feel that I'd rather let them know ahead of time that way if I bail out on a function or have to go while shopping or whatever, I don't feel as stressed about it.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#177182 - 05/06/05 02:32 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

{{{hugs}}}

I really recommend a-d's - they helped me cope so much better.

Also, plan as obsessively as you want...anything to make you feel "safer". Find out locations of bathrooms, go to shops with nice ones, find cafes/restaurants that serve herbal tea, take meds/tea-bags/painkillers everywhere, etc...

Also, if you have D at all...Immodium is a godsend.

I Thank You new
      #177228 - 05/06/05 07:51 PM
b232

I am so glad that there are people out there like me who know what I am going through. Your response means so much. I have Ibs w/ c. Just the pressure alone is terrible then when I finally do take my meds I am in more pain. I feel like Im trapped. My whole life is changing. But again thank you for your response

Thank You new
      #177230 - 05/06/05 07:56 PM
b232

Its hard not having a job. This illness makes you feel just terrible. Are you working now? If not what do you do with your time and how would you support yourself? Soory if I am being rude.I haveIBS w/ c and when im not feeling the gas pressure and pains then every third day I have to take my meds that make me go to the restroom and i feel worse. How do you cope?

Thanks for your response new
      #177233 - 05/06/05 08:00 PM
b232

Its still hard for me to try and take control. I ahve IBS w/ C and its hard. My whole life has been flipped upside down. How do you cope? I am still trying to learn what I can and cant do. It is going to be a while till I have that confidence again. But Thank you for your response Its good to know there are others like me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1564 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review