All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help, from anyone who has had a baby with bad diaper rash!!!
      #174186 - 04/26/05 11:16 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Any help you may be able to give me would be appreciated. My 2yr old grandson was in the hospital last week. He started with a virus that caused diahrea and high fever. He was so sick. Now, he is home, and the diaper rash is just raw. The doctor has had two compounds mixed for him, they haven't helped him. HE has tried, desitin, Boudreauxs Butt Paste, everything over the counter. Plus, cornstarch, powder, you name it and nothing is helping him. We are waiting for the diarea to stop, from all of the anit-biotics he has taken in the last week.

Anyone have suggestions? We have him wearing little boys underwear at home during the day so he can air out. Other than that we are at a loss.

Can anyone help us? Thanks! gayla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help, from anyone who has had a baby with bad diaper rash!!! new
      #174193 - 04/27/05 01:56 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

My girls used to get it so bad they had weeping sores on their little bottoms and screamed with every wee! The airing out is good, also the corn flour. I used to put vaseline on their bum to seal the wound and protect it from the burning when weeing, then mix a cornflour and water paste and smear it over the vaseline layer. Hard to clean off when they need cleaning but otherwise used to clear it up in a couple of days. Hope this helps.
Oh and Aloe Vera, if you have a plant snap off a prong and rub the aloe gel onto it during the airing periods.

--------------------
Amy

#174217 - 04/27/05 04:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Use lavender water when wiping his bum if possible and I agree with Amy about Vaseline...just sealing it off with loads of that stuff can stop it hurting nearly so much and getting worse.

NB. this is from MY experiences, not a baby's!

#174229 - 04/27/05 05:13 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Did you call the doctor? My SIL just went through this with my niece,and it turned out to be thrush, which needs a prescription to clear up. Good luck.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#174234 - 04/27/05 05:22 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

My advice would be do NOT use "wipes" of any kind, but a warm water washcloth and mild baby soap to clean him until the rash is gone.

Also use A&D ointment to coat his entire bottom every time you change him, it coats and heals the skin but does not have harsh meds or chemicals to make it worse.

GL!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#174245 - 04/27/05 05:59 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

My kids both had terrible diaper rash. The only thing that worked was using the warm wet wash cloth and then slather with vaseline with a powdering of baby powder. It cleared it up pretty fast once I did that.

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

#174246 - 04/27/05 06:05 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

We've had bad diaper rashes (not that bad though) a few times for a variety of reasons. We have had eczema rashes that need a perscription to clear up. That is probable not what he has. With the antibiotics it makes me think it might be a yeast infection which is thrush or another type of fungel. I was told with Zoe that if A & D ointment isn't working then you need to use a perscription called Nystatin cream. It was the physicain assistant but he said it almost always clears it up. I think I've used it with all three at one time or another and it clears it right up. It does seem, however, unreal that the dr. hasn't been able to help him with the rash. I hope he finds some relief soon. Poor little guy .

#174260 - 04/27/05 06:33 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Anything with Zinc. The same thing happened to my son when he was hospitalized for diarrhea. The best thing that worked for him was extra-strength ZINCOFAX. It's a great product. For my daughter, I used GERBER brand zinc-oxide diaper cream with oatmeal. I found both worked very nicely. It's the Zinc - make sure it's 40%. Regular Zincofax has only 15%.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#174301 - 04/27/05 08:08 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

My son just had D all last week and he gets horrible diaper rash. Don't use wipes they contain alcohol and will sting. I use warm washcloth and mild soap. Plus I have found a product called PinkXav (pronounced pink sav) at Meijer. It works good. Bordeux's Butt Paste also is good as well. Make sure diapers are changed every couple of hours and maybe even let him run naked a bit because the air will help dry things out!

Re: Thanks Girls, you all helped me so much, great ideas too! nt new
      #174616 - 04/27/05 10:11 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 672 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2152

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review