All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Interesting law
      #173409 - 04/25/05 09:53 AM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I just read about a law in Turin, Italy where dog owners are required to walk their dogs 3x/per of be fined about 500 euros. They have very strict animal cruelty laws. Here, in the US our animal cruelty laws are getting better. In some states, it is felony. It doesn't seem that long ago when pets were considered (in the eyes of the law) any better than a cheap piece of furniture. I was wondering what animal cruelty laws are like in other countries: Canada, UK, Australia, NZ.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Interesting law new
      #173425 - 04/25/05 10:31 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

It's interesting that the law in the US regarding animal ownership is moving away from a owner/property relationship to a custody relationship. About time, if you ask me. Of course, it's still regulated by state.

In NY, for example, it is not required that pets be walked. On Animal Planet there's this show called Animal Precinct where they show ASPCA officers answering calls in NYC to these tiny apartments where there are lines of cages of animals, and as long as the pets are legal and are fed, watered and in clean cages, it's legal to keep them in there and not walk them. Bizarre. *shaking head*

Can you imagine being a 50 lb dog and never going outside?? Why have a pet in the first place if its life is that of a prisioner!! Some laws just have to be changed.

~nelly~

Over here it still sucks. new
      #173548 - 04/25/05 01:51 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

But they're trying to bring in legislation so animals' emotions, etc count too. My ex-neighbours NEVER walked their dog and the only contact the dog had with her owners was when they shouted at it on the few times they went outside...however the aminal cruelty people couldn't do anything cos whenever they went round the dog had food and water. Grrr....why do these people get pets anyway?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 755 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 537

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review