Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help with my cat
      #172342 - 04/21/05 05:28 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion for a problem I'm having with my cat. IT's kinda gross, so forgive me if it's TMI Whenever he goes to the bathroom lately, he's leaving behind a terrible smell...it just seems unnatural. He has a covered litterbox and we haven't changed the litter or anything, but the smell is so much worse. Also, he keeps having poo left behind on his bottom which he then proceeds to drag through the apartment...my bf has to clean his bum after every trip to the litterbox. That doesn't seem normal to me. He's fairly young and we've never had this problem before. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with my cat new
      #172344 - 04/21/05 05:33 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Hm. Does he get any milk? Sometimes milk can cause some intestinal issues with cats, just like with us humans. (My cats, for example, get diarrhea from milk)

Nope, no milk new
      #172349 - 04/21/05 06:57 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

He eats Fancy Feast, which I know isn't the most healthy food out there but he won't eat anything else...my bf suggested we try and get him to eat a special gastro food but I don't know if he'll touch it

#172353 - 04/21/05 07:19 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Oh dear. My Siamese gets like that. I give her alfalfa--natural deodourant. You can break caps. into your cat's food, or just mix in some sprouts with the food. The stink goes away quickly. Chlorophyll works for pets.

#172384 - 04/21/05 08:50 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Both my cats have had this and it was worms. I had wormed them but apparantly the stuff you buy from the supermarket doesn't do it's job very well. If you can see fingernails in the poo then that's probably what it is. Otherwise go to your vet and request some good worming tablets and see if that helps.
Oh the other thing that can cause major D for mine is cat crunchies (the dry food). Too much of that and I'm mopping the laundry for days - ewwww.

--------------------
Amy

Edited by doubletrouble (04/21/05 08:51 PM)

#172401 - 04/21/05 10:38 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

My cat was having problems with constipation, poor thing. I took her to a vet, who gave the diagnosis (she had poo sticking to her bottom and would spend a long time in the litterbox). I don't know if this is the problem your cat is having. My cat only eats dry food, so that's probably why she has troubles going. For the smell, the vet recommended yogurt (a spoonful) and, for the constipation, canned pumpkin (about a spoonful) and hairball remedy. However, because your cat's dragging his bottom on the floor, you do want to get him checked out for worms; you'll probably need to take in a fresh stool sample. Sometimes, with cats with worms you'll find little rice-like white things clinging to the fur around their bottoms or actually see the worm hanging out of their bottoms! Ewwwwww.

#172409 - 04/21/05 11:34 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I don't know from cats since I'm allergic. But I hope your cat feels better soon *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

You may think this is mad... new
      #172450 - 04/22/05 12:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...but maybe you should try him on Acacia and/or probiotics! If he's properly wormed, then it could well be GI issues.

Btw, my old dog has been on the "IBS" diet for ages - no red meat, no dairy, low-fat, etc, etc! And whenever the dogs are ill, they go straight onto the Breaking the Cycle diet. It's what the vet suggests!

#172480 - 04/22/05 04:39 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

Try to change his food to either Iams or Eukanuba. I used to work for the company and when I switched my cats over it was absolutely amazing. You can't even tell there is a cat in the house. Try slowly switching the food as to not make the situation worse.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Pet food new
      #172491 - 04/22/05 05:17 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've found with our ultra fussy old dog that he'll eat anythin if I put some warm (not hot) bouillon on it...it's the only way he'll eat his boring (but neccessary for his health) dry food.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2699 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1240

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review