All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What type of job?
      #169098 - 04/11/05 09:42 PM
celestial7381

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Everett, Washington

I was wondering what type of jobs people have since they have ibs. Right now I work at a automotive dealership, but this is the 3rd job I have had in a year because the places I worked at just don't understand if I call in sick or I need to go home early because my stomach has a sudden flare up wich happens about once a week right now. Also my commute is about and hour. Do you find jobs close to home and do you explain it to your boss? Also, what would be a good job that allows people with ibs to have the freedom if you don't feel good? Right now I am taking classing from home for medical transcription so I can eventually work at home, but I really want to become a author and write fiction novels. Do you think this is a good idea or not?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What type of job? new
      #169101 - 04/11/05 10:12 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

You're not alone, lots of people seem to have trouble figuring out a job that will accomodate their health - especially something like IBS that is sometimes constant, sometimes can jump up out of the blue!
That being said, there are good employers out there who will be understanding and it just might take some detective work to find that job/employer!
I found that waitressing did not agree with my IBS, so okay I don't work in restaurants anymore. Being on my feet, and having to let someone know if I had to run to the loo made me uncomfortable so I think one thing that is important to me is being able to use the washroom whenever you need to, without having to broadcast it. That means any job where you would need someone to 'cover' you for any reason might be out.
I have had the most success with office jobs, even telephone jobs. I worked for a travel agent in the UK where I just booked holidays over the phone. I was close to a bathroom, and could just put my phone to 'not ready' when I couldn't accept calls. Since it was a busy call centre, nobody ever had to know when I needed to sneak off! Also, being able to sit for the majority of the day was nice as it allowed me to be less obvious when my tummy was all cramped up.

I am going to start a new reception job on Thursday, and the only thing that concerns me so far is the commute - it is about an hour away. I am pretty stable right now, though, and have doing a lot of driving lately so that freaks me out a lot less than it would have 6 months ago! Then, when I was pretty unstable, I worked a ten minute bus journey away for a while and it was perfect. That job also helped because my boss had IBS! She was very understanding when I had to come in and out of the office a lot, when I had to leave a bit early or even when I called in sick.

I thinking working from home would be awesome, I just haven't found anything yet that would be good for me.
I think being a novelist would be PERFECT! If I could be any job in the world, I think that's what it would be. I just don't have the talent, unfortunately! I get writers block after about 3 pages, hee hee. If you've got the good novel brain, I'd totally do it!! Although maybe have a back-up income whilst waiting for your millions, hee hee.

By the way, if you are getting attacks once a week that is quite often. How are you handling your IBS right now?

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#169106 - 04/11/05 10:28 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi there,

I sympathise with you and it's hard enough just finding a job that is fulfilling at times let alone one with good bathroom access that is close to home!

I think that if people are able to find something to do from home that they love then that is great.

On the other hand, having IBS does not make us any less worthy of pursuing our dreams so if we really want to do something career wise then we should be able to!

I'm currently at home as a Mummy as I have a 4 year old and a baby due in about 36 hours (and counting!) but I am on leave from a job I love and plan to return to which is teaching. As you can imagine, it is not a job where you can race off to the toilet whenever you need and you don't get to sit and rest much either but I love it. When I was first diagnosed I used a lot of sick time as I had no other choice really but as I learned how to control the IBS (most of the time) I got more determined not to let it keep me from something I really loved.

I too am wondering if there is anything else we can do to help you manage your IBS as I agree that weekly attacks are pretty frequent and I'm hoping that with advice from others here we can help you to reduce those attacks greatly.

Give us some info on your diet, exercise, rest, stress management etc and maybe we can help to improve things for you.

I went from living with pain daily to only having infrequent attacks so it is possible.

If you don't see another post from me it means I'm in hospital with my gorgeous bub but I know many others here will be only to happy to help all they can.

Good Luck,

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#169149 - 04/12/05 06:31 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have been working as a graphic artist at the same company for the past 5+ years. It's an office job so I can use the washroom whenever I want to. And because I sit at a desk all day, if I'm in pain I can just sit there and not have to run around anywhere. I can't work from home though.

You could write from home if you're an author. Great idea!

#169164 - 04/12/05 07:08 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Working from home is ideal since this can be tough to deal with at a job. I am a teacher of 5th grade students, so it can be hard if I have to run to the bathroom. Usually since I am C I just have to deal with bloating or cramping since I don't usually have the urge to go immediatly. Since I have older kids however they are usually pretty good to leave them for 5 minutes or so if I need to use the bathroom. * I noticed you lived in MOnroe Washington, I grew up in Monroe, Michigan. It seems like there is a Monroe in every state!*

#169316 - 04/12/05 02:16 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have done everything with my IBS, although I have been quite fortunate and haven't had anyone question my long sessions in the bathroom. I have been an administrative assistant and a sales representative.

I have yet to go home due to my IBS, although there were days when I wanted to go, but I just don't do that. I don't know if it's that I have a high pain tolerance or I'm just stubborn LOL

My suggestion: Just be honest with them, tell them about your IBS and then excuse yourself to the bathroom whenever necessary....anyone with a heart isn't going to be angry with your using the washroom frequently.

I wish you the best of luck

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#169352 - 04/12/05 03:40 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I work as a compliance officer for a financial institution here in NY City. It is an office job but I find the most difficult part of having an attack in the hour commute I have. The commuter train I take has a washroom so it is not that bad, that is like 80 percent of the trip. The subway is only a 12 minute ride but no washroom. I have had some close calls but so far so good.

--------------------

#169356 - 04/12/05 03:46 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I'm a corporate lawyer, office job, accesss to bathroom if and when I need it. I don't get bad D though, more "urgency"

--------------------
S.

#169699 - 04/13/05 05:01 PM
celestial7381

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Everett, Washington

I just want to thank everyone for their input and what types of jobs they have and how they deal with it at work. It looks like I have the right type of job, I do have a great desk job where are can get up when ever I want, but I think the location is wrong with the hour drive. You all have such wonderful input and that I need to take charge if this. I am still at the beginning stages of my diet. I have seen a great improvement. I am just taking it day by day.

Thanks

#169716 - 04/13/05 06:10 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I work at home for a family business. I'd love to finish school though. IBS is a major obstacle/challenge. I'm currently IBS-A. Maybe just setting a goal of ONE CLASS. Does IBS seriously interfere with your goal achievements?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3021 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1391

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review