All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Destructive puppy!
      #167158 - 04/05/05 06:47 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Any ideas for how to control a pup that's chewing EVERYTHING? We even had to leave Archie at the emergency vets on Sunday night cos he got hold of and chewed up our other dog's bottle of painkillers! He's chewing EVERYTHING he shouldn't...even a TV cable - luckily not connected to the mains. And he can reach so HIGH now!

We never managed to get him used to being in his crate all the time. Plus our other dog won't go into a crate so Archie goes even more nuts if he's stuck in the crate and Jake's wandering around.

I'm off to clear everything off the kitchen counter now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Destructive puppy! new
      #167160 - 04/05/05 06:51 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh no Linz. Dogs can get into so much trouble. From what I remember you just need to be super firm with him and very strict. Easier said than done, I just have a cat.

Good luck and I'll take him off your hands anytime!

#167165 - 04/05/05 06:56 AM
Linz

He just ignores me half the time! The thing is, he's really trainable and def. knows his place etc, but unless I yell at the top of my voice, he ignores me saying "no!".

He's only just started doing this...I was wondering if it was maybe for attention as we keep on leaving him with strange vets??? The poor baby's had a hard time of it.

I can so relate!!!!!! new
      #167189 - 04/05/05 07:33 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Only mine is not tall! BUT he can climb like no other dog I have ever seen!!!

He has chewed up four shoes, my purse strap ,Three of Kenna's cups,I lost count on the underwear but lets just say I need to go buy us all some more, Kenna has lost ALOT of barbies feet and hands,he even got ahold of my cell phone yesterday luckly for me Kenna seen it right away and snaged it from him before any damage could be done! He likes to get in purse and steal things all the time! The ONLY place my purse is safe is on the kitchen counter!

Hugs from someone who can relate. If you figure something out let me know!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#167193 - 04/05/05 07:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry, can't offer any advice as I have two cats! I've been thinking the last year or so that I wanted a small dog but after hearing everyones stories, I'm not sure I'm up to it especially with trying to have a baby!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Oh no.... new
      #167570 - 04/06/05 10:28 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

...dog training?! Sounds harsh, but I've got a friend who's puppy eats everything and he's just been on a dog course and...although he's still not 100% he's calmed down a lot...poor you...xx

#167595 - 04/06/05 11:10 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ahhh, Linz, you gotta practice tough love! If you can't discipline a puppy, I'd hate to see what you'd do if you had a toddler! (Sorry! Just kidding!)

Are you talking about him chewing on things when you're home---or when you're away? You're not leaving him unattended when you're not home, are you? YOU SHOULDN'T DO THIS!!! It's for his own safety. He could've easily killed himself if you hadn't gotten to him in time after he ate the medicine or chewed the electrical cord.

There is a spray you can buy at pet stores that tastes bitter. It's called Bitter Apple. Spray it on things he likes to chew on. Of course, I know you can't spray everything in your house, but use it on his favorite things to discourage him.

But if you're gone, you cannot leave him out where he can get into everything. (Just like you wouldn't leave a baby unattended.) You just can't trust him! What if he swallows something and he chokes on it?

Try making the crate fun. Put his food dish in there and let him eat in there (with the door open). Put him in there (with the door closed) while you're nearby (like reading or watching tv). He will get used to it. If he cries, so be it! Let him cry! It won't hurt him.

Mine love their crate so much that they go into on their own accord all day. As soon as my little beagle has breakfast, she crawls right back in her crate and goes to sleep again. It is not punishment. It's a safe place, kind of like their own haven.

I just bought mine a new crate. And they adore it even more! I will send a photo of them in it to Casey and let her post it for me.

Good luck!!!! You can do it!

#167632 - 04/06/05 12:33 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I think basically as dogs start teething they chew everything!!

Advice I have been given by someone at the kennels I work at is to give them lots of things to chew. Lucy likes a huge long thin log, plastic bottles and very tough big plant pots. At training they said buy some anti-chew stray, put a bit on a hanky and put it in the puppys mouth for a short time. They will hate the taste. You should only do this once as it is v unpleasant for them. We haven't done this as peri-peri sauce on the table legs seems to have worked.

Only other advice is keep everything you don't want him to get out of reach. Lucy isn't over fond of her crate, although she will happily sleep in it at night - Archie probably associates it with being cooped up - can't blame him after all he's been through.

Lucy doesn't always listen when I tell her off as she thinks everything is a game. Also, theres no point telling him off unless you catch him in the act, as he won't understand.

Good luck - and come to Cambs soon as me and Lucy are dying to meet him!!!!

Thanks guys! new
      #167640 - 04/06/05 12:44 PM
Linz

BL - we've never managed to get Archie used to being shut in his crate all the time. Normally everything is out of his reach - it's just that his reach is getting longer now! He had a tummy bug soon after we got him and we had to stop shutting him in the crate as he's have D and get SO upset. He does love his crate...goes in their to sleep or to chew his toys or if he's tired or scared. We'll try the food thing tho!

He's got LOADS of toys and loves them, but seems to adore anything plastic, things I want and rocks more than anything!

I'll look for some anti-chew spray. We tried Tabasco on the furniture and he liked it! We have a WEIRD puppy.

Btw, any tips on how you make a dog "hold on" for the loo? Arcchie knows he's supposed to go outside, but if no-one's there to let him out he just goes on the floor...another problem with shutting him in the crate - yes he will go in there! The only place he won't go is if we leave him in the car.

Re: Thanks guys! new
      #167643 - 04/06/05 12:46 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I think they get better bladder control as they get older. Lucy has been getting better recently, but on a cold windy night often decides it is easier to pee indoors!

She has never peed in her crate - so I don't know what advice to give. You can buy puppy pads for them to wee on, but thats not a very good long term solution.

Hmmm ... if you solve this problem please tell me how!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 815

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review