All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Gardening
      #164159 - 03/25/05 07:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Who is getting their garden going etc? Any excitement out there for gardening season? What are you going to grow? I have mine figured out and also now have to plan my friend's.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Mine's busy dying new
      #164161 - 03/25/05 07:16 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Autumn here and the people that lived here before us planted nothing but disiduous (sp?) trees so every autumn my whole yard turns into a brown bunch of sticks. Very depressing to look at. Plus the amount of leaves that get trampled inside! (Picture me having to vac 4 times a day). (Sigh) I miss my spring garden already.
My easter bells are out though

--------------------
Amy

I'm just getting started! new
      #164205 - 03/25/05 11:52 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've been planning the garden ever since we got the house but haven't done much until now. But I've started cutting out the flower-beds .

It's going to be really cottage garden like...herb garden, roses, delphiniums, alliums, verbena bonariensis, etc! I can't wait till I can start planting.

But I've had a great crop of daffs from the bulbs I planted last fall and the roses already in the garden are just starting to come into leaf now...I love spring!

Re: Gardening new
      #164210 - 03/26/05 03:22 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

It's all action in the garden here. This weekend we are making a large patch of land into a vegetable patch with raised beds and fruit trees. This is hard work as the soil is like clay and the land was head high in nettles when we got it.

I am also growing loads of fruit and veg in the greenhouse and on my windowsill.

My first garden! new
      #164257 - 03/26/05 09:17 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

My rented house that I've been in for about 4 months has a garden and now that spring has finally sprung I'm out in it! I have just mowed for the VERY first time, what a mess, but anyway, I'm so excited, I'm going to do a bit of improving as its a bit of a jungle!! I didn't realise that I would actually get excited about a garden - hehe

gardening new
      #164290 - 03/26/05 03:18 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..I weeded beside the lawn yesterday..does that count?
I have a paved patio at the back of the house and a small lawn at the front. I have about 15 containers with everything from a date palm, to bay trees to lavender and pansies. I need to get some bedding plants for this year's window boxes etc but I decided (in consultation with my Mum) to wait for summer flowers rather than planting spring ones.

Outside the front door I do have two little planters with polyanthus in them and they look really cheery.

--------------------
S.

Re: I'm just getting started! new
      #164306 - 03/26/05 05:10 PM
Little Minnie

Cottage gardens are my favorite! Linz what will be blooming next month when I am in the area? Rhododendrons?
You guys are all so lucky to get to start so early! Since I live in MN I have to wait until May 15-June 1st to plant tomatoes and peppers and the like. I want to plant the really cold hardy stuff before my trip but we will see if I actually do. I should take a picture of the potatoes in my basement before DH sees them and freaks out. I have potatoes from last year that I didn't eat that have sprouted and my mom (an expert- just got a job at Walmart garden center LOL) told me to lay them out in the light and spread them out. They have 6+ inch long runners coming out. EEK. My area has sandy soil and we grow a lot of potatoes. I really like the "all red" ones! They taste awesome I swear! Unforunately DH won't help in the garden and I have to dig them up myself with that bad hip of mine too.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Umm.... new
      #164420 - 03/27/05 08:32 AM
Linz

...my mind's gone blank! In my rather bare garden, the daffs are just fading, the hyacinths have come out and the roses are growing the first leaves. I'll check my books - my memory's so crap!

the first shoots are coming up... new
      #164524 - 03/27/05 05:16 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

there is green.. but since the house is for sale minimal gardening this year... leaving it go for the most part- lots of tulips and iris and perenials spread through, including several lillies and my lavender and other herbs (echinacia, etc)... I probably won't bother to fill in with annual herbs this year and will just buy a flat of impatience or something.. I know we aren't going to do anything with the vegetable garden since the house is for sale but mow it over... and my FIL in law in his impatience to help last year make the end of season look nice with the house for sale succeeded in mowing over my roses! so who knows what will happen this spring in their places!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#164712 - 03/28/05 11:26 AM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

We are about to move into a brand new house with no yard done and I do love to garden and am excited about starting up everything, but at the same time, it's a bit overwhelming!!! Maybe you could help me plan mine??? About potatos, is it just an old wives tale that you have to plant them around Good Friday???

#164721 - 03/28/05 11:53 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I moved into my house about 5 years ago and before than I'd never planted a flower before. Now, I've more garden than I can keep up!! I've planted mostly perrinals and always fill in with annauls in the spring but living in MI we can't really plant much until after Mothers Days. I don't grow and veggies and only a few herbs, mostly catnip for my kitties and some lavander. What kind of garden are you wanting to do? Veggies or Flowers? How much room do you have and what kind of soil is it, IE clay or sandy? Would it get mostly shade or sun? Give us some more info, maybe even post a picture of the area in question and I'd be glad to give you some advice!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#164747 - 03/28/05 01:30 PM
Little Minnie

Oh my not here in MN! I plant mine when the potato farmers do- sometime in early May. I am not positive about what temp they will handle. Where is Lake Crystal? I will give any info I can. My mom always answers things I can't answer.

--------------------

no idea on potatoes, but.. new
      #164783 - 03/28/05 03:11 PM
khyricat

mom ALWAYS planted peas on St patricks day... if we knew the weather was too bad for them she'd start them indoors and transplant outside later in the season...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Gardening- my favorite subject! new
      #164828 - 03/28/05 06:31 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I have a postage stamp backyard that I've transformed into a paved patio with nice perennial borders, and a little vegetable garden.
Our big project this summer, I think, is gonna be to make the patio into an "outdoor kitchen"- complete with fridge, sink, stovetops of some sort, perhaps a smoker, some storage for dishes and stuff, and table, seating, and buffet.
My husband, who was in a former life a professional chef, is going to begin teaching cooking classes in a few weeks, and wants to plan some outdoor lessons this summer. He hopes eventually to make it into a little cottage industry.
My job is just to make the surroundings as beautiful as possible.
Of course, it's still too early to begin any serious garden work here in the Milwaukee area- big parts of the ground are still frozen!- but today was the first day of springlike weather- around 60 degrees- and I did take the opportunity to prune spirea bushes and begin to clean up the beds a little.
I think I can plant lettuce and spinach this week too.

What about squash? new
      #164861 - 03/29/05 03:26 AM
Linz

When I get my garden sorted I want to see if I can grow some edible squash...preferably over a frame as my patch is so small. Any ideas for which ones will climb for me? Squashes are so much more an American thing.

I'm in a pretty mild area - 2 weeks of so-so snow and freezing temps this past winter!

#164862 - 03/29/05 03:26 AM
khyricat

sounds like fun.. we have a smoker and 2 grills and DH uses all 3!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#165012 - 03/29/05 11:42 AM
Little Minnie

Wow you are doing good. I hope to do a little Thursday if the wind lets up. I don't mind it being colder that day, I like the cold.

--------------------

Re: What about squash? new
      #165016 - 03/29/05 11:47 AM
Little Minnie

Squash is definitely one to plant after the ground warms up and the chance of frost is gone. I don't love squash anymore but I think yellow summer squash or pattypan squash would be nice. For 'winter'squash I think butternut and acorn taste best. The difference is that summer squash is ready earlier and winter squash is ready with the pumpkins.

I think I will make a list of veggies and when to plant according to temps. Everyone should find out their local frost free date. Mine is May 15. We get frost on our low garden every year on the second week of May so I wait until the third week to plant tender stuff. It is hard to do since everyone else is planting and I want to too! One year we had severe frost after I planted. I covered my toma and pep and they still died! So I learned my lesson. This year I am trying wall o'waters.

--------------------

Planting list for everyone new
      #165043 - 03/29/05 12:46 PM
Little Minnie

There is a planting list in a catalog so I didn't have to do any work -just typing dates for ya all.
Ok here is the list with seed info but the dates are very vague so I will type in a few pieces of info now. The catalog is from Oregon so these are late dates for most people. Some things I haven't grown but will try to get accurate info by and by.

Artichokes 4/1 - 7/1 haven't grown; is perennial
Asparagus 5/1 - 7/1 ditto
Beans, Bush (snap) 5/15 - 7/1 start right around the frost free date and optional: plant a couple crops 2-3 weeks apart.
Beans, bush (dry) 5/15 - 6/7
Beans, Pole 5/15 - 6/7 same as bush, pole beans produce over a longer time but require a frame to grow on
Beets 4/1 - 7/15 haven't grown
Broccoli 4/1 - 7/15 plant before frost free date, can withstand cold, bugs are troublesome!
Brussels Sprouts 6/1 - 7/1 yuck!
Cabbage, Early 4/15 - 6/15 can't eat and so haven't grown
Cabbage, Late 5/15 - 7/15 you can grow 2 crops, one early and one later
Chinese Cabbage 5/15 - 8/15 very easy to grow, plant around mid spring. Does bolt in hot weather sometimes. Mine bolted last year for no reason.
Carrots 4/1 - 7/15 plant now, very early, mix seed with radishes since it is so small. Thin carrots seedlings as they grow.
Cauliflower, Early 4/15 - 6/15 same as broc
Cauliflower, Late 6/1 - 7/1
Celery 4/15 - 6/1 yuck
Collards 7/1 - 7/20 evidently these should be planted in warm summer soil
Corn 6/1 - 6/15 I think anytime after frost free date. My advice: (my dad's fam had a sweet corn farm) don't try to grow unless you have A LOT of room for it. If you grow one or two small rows you are just wasting space. You might get a few ears and no more.
Cucumbers 6/1 - 6/15 I plant on June 1. soil should be warm.
Kale 5/1 - 7/15
Kohlrabi 4/1 - 8/10
Leeks 3/1 - 5/15 plant a few crops. In my area they must be started by seed indoors in winter. I plant them around May 1
Lettuce 4/1 - 8/1 plant successive plantings every 2 weeks. harvest when young. Grow in a shady cool spot if possible. It bolts from heat, keep well watered.
Chicory/Endive 5/1 - 6/1
Melons 6/1 - 6/20 after soil warms up
Okra 5/15 - 6/15
Onions 4/5 - 6/1 cannot seed outdoors. Buy seedlings or sets and plant when still cold out. Mine go in mid April.
Parsley 3/1 - 6/1 cold tolerant
Parsnips 5/1 - 7/15
Peas 10/1 - 6/1 soak seeds overnight, can plant 2 crops 2-3 weeks apart. Mine go in early April when soil can be worked. Needs some support. Can plant a fall crop in early-mid August. Spray with fungus spray and give a lot of space to prevent mildew.
Peppers 3/15 - 4/15 start inside or buy plants. I start mine in Feb in the house. Plant when soil warms or use wall o'waters.
Pumpkins 5/15
Radish 3/1 - 8-15 plant early, grow with carrots.
Rhubarb 3/1 - 5/15
Rutabaga 6/1 - 7/15
Shallots 4/1-5/15 plant at the time of onions, use sets not seeds. Can plant in fall too.
Spinach 3/1 - 8/15 needs cool temps. Can grow a early and late crop. Water often to help stay cool.
Squash, Summer 5/15 - 6/15 after frost free date
Squash, Winter 5/15 - 6/15
Swiss Chard 4/1 - 7/15
Turnips 5/1 - 8/15
Tomatoes 4/1 - 5/1 start seeds in March, plants can be planted after frost free date or use wall o'waters.
Watermelons 6/1 - 6/20 after soil warms

Potatoes plant old ones with eyes, plant about early May in most places.
basil best to plant seedlings after frost free date, grow by tomatoes.
cilantro/coriander seed outside after frost date. plant a couple every two weeks. same with dill, grow dill by cucumbers.
© 2005 Territorial Seed

--------------------

Edited by Little Minnie (03/30/05 06:03 AM)

Thanks Tamara! new
      #165156 - 03/29/05 10:33 PM
Linz

So this is when to plant, yeah? PLENTY of time for me to get a patch sorted for some winter squash!

Re: Linz new
      #165161 - 03/30/05 02:36 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I have just been going from the seed packets and as I have a greenhouse I am probbly planting earlier than you - although windowsills do the same thing.

I have planted:

Tomatoes
Chillies
Various herbs
Purple and yellow varieties of runner beans
Yellow dwarf courgettes
Cucumbers
Radishes
Broad beans
Leeks
Peas
Strawberries
Rasberries
Rhubarb
Cherry tree!

Eeeks - if they all work (unlikely) I'll be eating alot of veg this summer!!!

Re: Thanks Tamara! new
      #165181 - 03/30/05 05:53 AM
Little Minnie

Yes, and you're welcome. Just find out your frost free date and so you aren't going by those exact dates -probably will be earlier- but then at least you will know what stuff goes in before or after frost and after the ground warms up. I really like doing a couple plantings of stuff to spread out the harvest a little. Things like peas, beans, lettuce and herbs like cilantro and dill work well planted 2-3 weeks apart.

--------------------

broad beans new
      #165182 - 03/30/05 05:54 AM
Little Minnie

I want to try those someday. also Jerusalem artichokes.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 924 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1045

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review