All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Living in Japan
      #162113 - 03/19/05 02:32 AM
Bananna

Reged: 03/19/05

Hey there everyone Brand new to this whole thing (this website, not IBS ), and I just wondered if anyone else is living (or has lived) in Japan?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Living in Japan new
      #162131 - 03/19/05 06:08 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I visited once, does that count? Where in Japan are you based? I visited friends in Tokyo, pre IBS though.

From what I remember from Japanese food its pretty safe apart from the beef- there's so much rice, noodles, seafood and so little dairy. I LOVE eating out in Japanese restaurants- I can have what I like!

--------------------
S.

I lived in the Kobe/Osaka area in my youth and have visited periodically since then.~nt~ new
      #162195 - 03/19/05 09:53 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

--------------------
"puffy"

#162375 - 03/20/05 06:09 AM
Bananna

I'm in the Kanto Region, north of Tokyo. I've been here for about a year and a half. Yeah, there are lots of 'safe' foods here, like you said, rice etc. They also like to fry a lot of food in oil, though !

Statistics say that serious stomach problems are big in Japan, I think due to their high-stress lives and working conditions. So they have lots of stomach medicines, my favourite being an anti-diarrhea tablet advertised to take when you have a sudden attack on a train or in other 'inescapable' situations, called... "Stoppa" Isn't that great !

#162529 - 03/20/05 07:25 PM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I have "C" so "stoppa" wont work for me! The udon and soba are so wonderful...my favorite is yamakake-soba. The last time we visited I ate my heart out and had no problem. It was blissful!

The fried stuff has never appealed to me so I was OK. I just never ordered "bento" lunches with tempura.

I am envious...I love Japan.

--------------------
"puffy"

#162711 - 03/21/05 01:58 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Bananna,
I've seen a few people log in from Japan before, so do a search and you may find some good tips from them - meanwhile - I ADORE sushi! Any recommendations on which ones you find yummiest? I don't like it when the fish is too chewy sometimes - but I've found several kinds that are so, so good! Glad you found us and feel free to post more questions.
Min

Sushi new
      #162901 - 03/22/05 05:58 AM
Bananna

Hey Min,
I don't even know what I'm eating half the time in sushi restaurants here!! I'm just happy if I can identify it as animal, mineral or vegetable Maguro (tuna) seems to be popular here, but my favourite is probably salmon. I don't like chewy sushi that leaves you with half a fish hanging out of your mouth either - I actually tend to choose sushi plates on bite-in-half ability! If there's any skin left on the salmon it hasn't been cut well and will be hard to eat. But even more than salmon, I love avocado. It's not 'real' sushi though and my students have fits when I tell them about avocado sushi!
Enjoy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 742 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 567

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review