Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Back from the shrink's office...
      #162026 - 03/18/05 05:30 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,
So today I went to see my Psychiatrist that my doctor referred me to for the second time.
He asked me a bunch of questions, and I ended up telling him that I'd been really stressed out 'cause of an issue with a friend, so he asked what happened and I explained and started crying, which I TOTALLY didn't want to do in front of him and he barely responded.
He asked me some other questions, but then after about 20 minutes of talking he sent me out again! So he brought up all this painful stuff for me, and then made me another appointment for the first week in May and sent me on my way!
I didn't really know what to make of it, I cried and cried all the way home 'cause of all the upsetting stuff he'd mentioned and then not really responded to my upset about them.
Now I feel really strange, I don't understand what the purpose of seeing him was.. not when it's an hour's drive and paid parking!
I feel confused now, and upset and sad.
He told me that my friend accusing me of being obsessed with being sick made sense basically because people who have Colitis or whatever ARE generally obsessed with it.
That's not enough for me!! I don't want to be THAT GIRL who is obsessed with being sick. I need help so I am not obsessed!
I feel like I am not obsessed with being sick, but obsessed with getting better but it doesn't seem like anyone else sees the difference!
I just want to lead a NORMAL life where I'm not upset all the time and can just have a normal day with normal friends and normal problems - this SUCKS.
He told me I should join a support group, which I think is a good idea, because then there will be people who will understand - he says nobody in my life will ever understand what I am going through and I may as well just give up and swallow down what anyone has to say. He said to not get angry and upset because then I will flare up my stomach, but how can I not get upset?
Bah, I feel so overly emotional and gross now, I just want to crawl into bed.
Hope everyone else's Friday is going better than mine!

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Steph new
      #162029 - 03/18/05 05:34 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

That's awful! I know he's a shrink and he is probably using some wonderful theory on you that he read from a textbook but that doesn't help you now.

I think the best thing you can do it put today's experience behind you and go for a good long walk to clear your head. If you give in and curl up like you really want to you will probably only feel worse about it and spend the evening sobbing.

Take care, loadsa hugs,

--------------------
S.

Re: Steph new
      #162034 - 03/18/05 05:40 PM
Stephie

Hi Sinead,
I think you're right, I am not letting myself near my bed... or the couch, even if it does look oh-so comfy. I am also not letting myself near the chocolate mint girl guide cookies my mom brought home!!

My grandma is here visitting just now so I am going to go say Hello and sit with them, and then maybe Adrian will take me out for dinner or something. I am tutoring later on as well, so I won't really have any time to lay around and feel sorry for myself.. even if that's what I really feel like doing.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Back from the shrink's office... new
      #162036 - 03/18/05 05:44 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Steph I'm sorry this shrink did this to you. I've found it really hard to find one I get along with well and one that I feel is doing their job properly. We're all obsessed. Who wouldn't be when you feel sick 24/7 365 days a year? But like you said I think most of us are obsessed with feeling better rather than dwelling on the fact that we're always sick. Maybe he just isn't the right counsellor for you. It might take some trial and error but you will find one who's great for you (I did eventually, just couldn't afford it on a long term basis). Big hugs. It's really devastating to lose a friend. Don't let him think you are being silly. No one has the right to be rude to you for being sick. Big hugs and please try not to take what he said to heart.

--------------------
Amy

Yeah, aren't docs great new
      #162050 - 03/18/05 07:07 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

This has happened to me too. End up feeling worse after seeing and paying somehow to feel better. They were more concerned with time and not listening to what I was saying. Then, on to the next money, I mean person.

Sorry you aren't getting the support you need, Steph. I know what you mean about just wanting a NORMAL life with normal problems and a normal working body. Not perfect, but with normal problems. The average joe doesn't know how lucky they are just to have the usual life challenges without the added depression, pain, anxiety, did I say pain and IBS problems that we must deal with on top of everything else.

And yeah, don't get upset about things as it will make your IBS flare up? Well, duh!! But how do we do that!!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Yeah, aren't docs great new
      #162083 - 03/18/05 07:49 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I feel for ya! I have been to a councellor on several occasions. I had one that was exactly how you said yours was. I felt as though he just always said "Mmmhmm and how did that make you feel" Over and over again.

I recently switched to a new one and she is wonderful. The first time I went in there she spent two hours with me. And then this last time she spent another two hours with me. I love her. My first day I told her I wanted her to interact with me and not just say "Mmmhmm and how did that make you feel"

If you are paying him, I would definitely tell him your expectations of your visits. If he doesn't understand your needs, switch. There are plenty of people out there that can help you.

You have enough stress without having to leave feeling WORSE than when you arrived.

Good luck,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Lana Marie new
      #162109 - 03/19/05 12:29 AM
Stephie

Hiya,
That is EXACTLY what this guy does.. when he responds.. asks me how I feel about stuff, when it's pretty obvious...
Anyway, thank goodness you found one you really like. How did you end up finding a good one?
I just got referred from my doctor.. Are you seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist? I ask 'cause I can see a psychiatrist for free (which is what I am seeing now) but to see a psychologist is about $200 an hour!! There is no way I can afford that, it's not even covered on my extended medical.
Thanks!!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

A suggestion.... new
      #162111 - 03/19/05 01:15 AM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

I have a suggestion that may be a little out there but worth a try. My insurance doesn't cover psychologists at all, just as yours doesn't. I decided to try to see a counselor at school. I don't know if they have them in Canadian Universities but they are pretty standard here in the states. I decided that it was worth a try because it was free and would only be 1 hour of my time. If it didn't work out, it was really no loss to me. What a found was one of the nicest gentlemen around. Unlike private practice psychologists, they don't have a practice to worry about. These counselors seem much more laid back and friendly. This man really wanted to help me. While meds were not involved, he was a sounding board. I could tell him anything without judgement, but at the same time get great advice. I am rambling, but anyway, I would check into your school's counseling dept. It's free and at this point I don't think it could hurt!

Teresa

--------------------

Steph- how are you feeling today? new
      #162135 - 03/19/05 06:20 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I went to see a cousellor as opposed to psych-anything when I was having a tough time and I found it great. She got me to talk about things, question myself and confront things.

Her job was mostly as a facilitator to me to realise what my real issues were (as opposed to what I thought they were) and it went great.

However, the first day I went to her she told me her rules- I was to go to her once a week for three weeks, at the end of the three weeks we could both make the decision that we didn't wish to continue "working together". It was great because the first day I just cried the whole way through, I was a ball of emotion but by the end I was leaving the session (say 5 or 6th session) without having cried AT ALL!

That's just my personal experience. Am rooting for you.

--------------------
S.

Re: Lana Marie new
      #162159 - 03/19/05 07:35 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

My shrink is free too - I got referred by my doctor to a ward that has a ton of counsellor and they set you up with one. If I didn't like mine I would just call and get a new one.

If you could - maybe call the Mental Health Services Ward in your local hospital. I know, that sounds really degrading, but it's not as bad as it sounds LOL

Good luck,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1346

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review