All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
looking for some quick answers, hopefully
      #158459 - 03/08/05 05:28 PM
thumper41

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Has anyone ever been on antidepressents for IBS????? My doctor asked me to consider starting welbutrin XL to try to help with my IBS to add to the anti anxiety meds that I am already on. I really need some feed back here, my husband isn't too keen on the idea and I just don't know. I have heard such nasty things about antidepressants. talk to me please
thumper

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: looking for some quick answers, hopefully new
      #158462 - 03/08/05 05:35 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Thumper,

A lot of the people on here have taken (or are taking) anti-depressants for IBS. If you do a board search you should find tons of information.

I have tried both Paxil and Effexor for my IBS, I found the Paxil really helped but had some really unwanted side effects (40lb weight gain and total loss of sex drive), while the Effexor hasn't really helped at all.

My most important piece of advice would just be to really consider your options and look into the specific anti-depressant before going on it, some have worse side-effects and/or withdrawal effects. For example, both Paxil and Effexor have really short half-lives so they are really hard to get off (I'm stuck on the Effexor right now because the withdrawal effects have been so bad I can't seem to get off it). Also, know that sometimes it takes a lot of tinkering to find the right anti-depressant, you may need to switch meds a few times before you find the one that works for you

I hope this helps,
Kelly

#158479 - 03/08/05 06:24 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not on antidepressants specifically for IBS, but I did notice some good effects on my IBS symptoms almost immediately after the initial side effects wore off. Like everything else, it hasn't been a total cure, but it's been a VAST improvement for me.

Like was already said, though, definitely weigh the pros and cons and do your research. And if you do go that route, be patient - it typically takes 4-6 weeks or even longer to really feel the full effect of AD's, and like was mentioned, you may need some tweaking to get the prescription and dosage right. I lucked out - Lexapro is the first one I ever tried, and it's perfect for me.

Good luck!

if you want something natural... new
      #158520 - 03/08/05 09:49 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Try 5HTP, St. Johns Wort, etc. Ad's CAN help IBS. Good luck *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#158574 - 03/09/05 02:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I love them, but do your research into the different ones like Vicam said - there is alot of variation. Do a search on here or look at medicinenet.com - it's a great site.

Remember that if you do use the alternative methods, then you need to tell your doc as they often can interfere with other meds.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 733 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 696

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review