All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Okay guys (deep breath). I REALLY need your love and support...
      #158015 - 03/07/05 07:31 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

So I went to my naturopath today (for those that have been following) and she did all these tests on me involving electrical currents. Kinda weird but told me a lot I didn't know about my body plus a lot I did.
Turns out that while I have no allergies to foods (yay!) I have a lot of intolerences and my whole system is really struggling at the moment.
So on top of all the herbs and stuff she's given me to take I am starting a new diet (for at least 4 weeks but some of it will be permanent). No dairy, no soy, no wheat (may be needing advice from all you GF eaters!), no sugar, not now, not ever, no sorts at all, no glucose, fructose, maltose or cane sugar. AHHHHH!!!
So I have this little secret. I have this compulsion to eat when I go to bed at night. It's all junk and it's all killing my system. See I go to bed and I don't know why but I eat chocolate and bikkies until I feel sick then beat myself up about it (no, I don't make myself throw up or anything, just get depressed and wonder why I can't stop). So I'm not allowed to do this AT ALL anymore! Hence why I need your love and support cause I've been doing this for about 2 years (and never told anyone so this is kinda difficult to post about)and on top of trying to stop the excessive eating in bed, I'm going to be going through a sugar detox (the good news just keeps coming doesn't it?). So please, please be there for me when I'm craving sugar (craving it just talking about it!)? I know you will be but just wanted to say where I'm at. Thanks guys!

--------------------
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Okay guys (deep breath). I REALLY need your love and support... *DELETED* new
      #158018 - 03/07/05 07:44 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

You got it! new
      #158029 - 03/07/05 08:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't say that I really understand fully, having never been to a naturopath and also having never gone through sugar detox, but caffeine withdrawal was pretty darn lousy and I still struggle with a lot of bad eating habits like comfort eating... so I can relate a little. We're all here for ya, and my inbox is always open if you don't feel like ranting to the entire board at large. *hugs* and support!

Re: Okay guys (deep breath). I REALLY need your love and support... new
      #158031 - 03/07/05 08:33 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Amy, so sorry to hear what you have been going through. I know how hard it is because I was a compulsive eater for many years and also suffered depression that grew out of my sense of shame and self-disgust. I became an obsessive (but unsuccessful) dieter and a lot of the time my life seemed like torture - self-inflicted torture. I didn't tell anyone about this for years so I do know how difficult it must be for you to post about it.

I also craved sugar - actually used to pour half a bag of sugar into a cereal bowl, add a little milk and eat it with a spoon - had one or two bowls of this for breakfast most days. I also ate secretly and was quite good at hiding my eating from family and friends. I kept food under my bed that no-one knew about. I would even make a habit of buying chocolate and biscuits at several different shops in one trip, as I didn't even want the shopkeepers to know how much I ate! I often ate even when I felt physically sick and in pain, just kept forcing it down until I could hardly move my body - more importantly I could hardly feel my emotions - I was eating myself senseless just as some people drink themselves unconscious.

From my perspective, I eventually stopped being a compulsive eater as a result of recognising and, to some extent, resolving the emotional causes behind it, rather than by changing my diet drastically - my eating habits changed after I accepted myself and my problems, not before. I tried to change many times before that but never succeeded until I was honest with myself about what I was doing and why. But whatever way works for you, this is definitely something you can do.

I know you will get love and support from everyone here, so don't be afraid to ask for it. Please feel free to contact me privately if you want to talk, but in any case I will be thinking of you.

Best wishes,

Josephine

#158035 - 03/07/05 08:44 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
Don't worry, we'll be here for you no matter what!
I was glad to read that you have no allergies, but I'm sorry you have so many intolerances.. My mom got told the same thing, that she had intolerances rather than allergies, but I don't completely understand the difference!

I think you'll do fine on the diet, no worries! I'm sure everybody on the Gluten free diets will be able to help you, and that stuff might just be temporary anyway!
As for the sugar, you'll be okay! I think sugar is a hard thing to kick at first, but the longer you go without it the less you'll crave it.
I used to do something similar, I used to stay up so late studying and around midnight I would always gorge on bad food like you were saying. I haven't been able to since I got so sick, but then I did eat a whole bunch of frozen yogurt the other day and then had the next two days regretting it! I think that's one of the reasons it was easier for me the first time to kick chocolate and stuff, 'cause I was SO SICK. This time around, I do have trouble avoiding sugar.
I have to start, though, because I just _cannot_ lose weight like I'd like to, and so need to cut back on sugar I think.. so I'll do it with you, and support you along the way!
Think of how much better you'll feel if all this works, you'll never want chocolate again!
**big hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#158051 - 03/07/05 10:24 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Sorry to hear that you're going through so much I think admitting the problem you want to deal with will hopefully help you deal...maybe come on here and post whenever you're having cravings, and that way we can help you through it!

Good luck and be strong, we're here for you

Kelly

Thanks guys.... new
      #158053 - 03/07/05 10:31 PM
doubletrouble

I knew you'd be there for me.
Dozyveeny (sorry I think that's right) I was going to email you but you don't have an addy up. It really sounds like what I do. Luckily I've been having trouble keeping my weight up the last year so the excess calories haven't been a problem but I have my "stash" that I keep under the bed and in a drawer (meant for socks ) and don't tell even DH just how much I eat. Like you I'll add tablespoons of sugar to cornflakes, and eat till I can hardly move and feel like I might be sick. Then I'll beat myself up about it all night and go and do it again the next night. Don't know why but I guess I am a compulsive eater. Thanks for sharing your story, it's nice to know you kicked the habit cause then I'm sure I can too.
Thank you to you all for your support. I may be posting a lot of complaints for the next few days or weeks so please bare with me and know that eventually my whinging will end (Yay!).

--------------------
Amy

#158054 - 03/07/05 10:49 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I will be here for you. I stay up late most nights, and will be here to talk to you and try to keep you sane.

Love to you honey !!!!!

Sugar busters! new
      #158058 - 03/07/05 11:17 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Amy,

I have to admit I am NOT good at being in touch right now as I am not well at the moment.

I want you to know though that it CAN be done. I was in OA. And I a doing everything to be healthy. And that includes no sugar.

If I can do it (miss pour the sugar on my apples and eat lotsa cookies/ice cream all day, etc.) ANYONE can!

I'm here for you...esp. when I kick this cold *hugs*

Sending you love and courage!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#158064 - 03/08/05 12:12 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I'm getting that test (it's called the Vega test) done on thursday...now I'm kinda worried about what will be the result

*hugs* I hope you can work everything out

Isabel new
      #158069 - 03/08/05 12:37 AM
doubletrouble

Don't worry too much. The naturopath said that most of the intolerances are only temporary and that once my system starts to heal I should be able to eat most of them. So I'm pretty much only on this diet for a month then I get reviewed in 20 days. I have to take a billion pills and potions though. Hope it works for us both!

--------------------
Amy

#158091 - 03/08/05 02:36 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Amy, this is what your body needs to be healthy!!! It will be hard but just know that in the long run it will make you feel better. We will all be here to hold your hand.

You can do this!

Re: Thanks guys.... new
      #158093 - 03/08/05 02:40 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Whoops! I thought we could send private messages as shown on the 'My Home' page, but it seems to be disabled. You can email me at dozyveeny@yahoo.co.uk

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about - I told you so much about myself just so you would know you are not the only one - it can be a pretty lonely place.

I hope you succeed and I definitely did not mean to discourage you from doing it this way, just in case it came across like that - my way probably took about ten or twelve years, so anything that gives you back your life quicker than that has to be worth trying! And, yes, it can definitely be beaten and doesn't have to mean never eating those foods again (provided they are IBS-safe of course) I do now eat sugar, for example, but in reasonable quantities and without triggering cravings.

On a practical note, one of the things that has helped me is eating enough protein, which I didn't used to do. Also keeping fat levels low - even now almost the only times I get the craving for chocolate is if I have eaten something with a bit too much fat earlier. This may not be the same for you, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Best wishes,

Josephine

No fructose! new
      #158135 - 03/08/05 06:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yow. Just re-read this and saw the no fructose...how come? That limits the fruit and veg you can eat to not much at all! Eeek.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

Find something you CAN snack on (corn cakes?) and get loads of those in and if you get cravings, drink a glass of water and then eat them (the water helps to make you feel full). If I have something else instead of just trying to resist putting anything in my mouth, I find it easier.

#158152 - 03/08/05 07:01 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

hang in there sweetie! You have had such a rough time with things. I really hope you find the strength you need to go through this!

#158176 - 03/08/05 07:48 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

So sorry its been such a rought ime for you lately! I don't have anything else to add to whats been said but wanted to offer my support as well!! Hang in there, you CAN do this!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#158187 - 03/08/05 08:21 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I know how you feel about bedtime snacking. I'm the WORST for that. Try to keep your hands busy. For example, I have a hand held nintento game boy. It keeps both hands busy whereas a book only keeps one hand busy. Give yourself something to do at bedtime. Either watch TV and do some knitting or crocheting, or something that keeps your hands busy!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Sorry I haven't posted today, really struggling. new
      #158508 - 03/08/05 08:41 PM
doubletrouble

Well as you know from my other post DH is really sick and has been throwing up. As a result I'm on my first day of detox with a headache, feeling really tired and depressed and three kids to try and keep out of his hair
Plus this diet sux! I have to eat wheat free, sugar free, dairy free and soy free. I am allowed minimal apples but no yeast either. So I have cook books that have dairy free meals, or wheat free meals but all of this combined pretty much rules out all food and I've been on so many of these restricting diets I feel like I haven't eaten forever! Sorry, feeling very mad and very frustrated right now. It's going to be a LOOONNNGGG 4 weeks. Thanks for listening and thanks for all your support. I've got so much I want to say to all the posts today but just am in too bad of a mood to type.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Sorry I haven't posted today, really struggling. new
      #158521 - 03/08/05 09:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

You ROCK Amy!

You're doing it. It is HARD...but sooooooooo worth it! You WILL be depressed and go through sooo many emotions....but it will change your life for better in the long run. Hang in there *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hang in there! new
      #158572 - 03/09/05 02:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Lots of rice, veggies and fish sounds like the ticket! It's boring, but it's safe. Can you have carrots - they're quite nice and sweet.

Good luck!

Amy I've had that test done and understand!! new
      #158589 - 03/09/05 03:05 AM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

OMG you're the first person I've found on the boards who have had the vega test done! I too have had the test done and have multiple food intolerances - gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, caffeine, red meat.... my list goes on. The new diet was really tough at first, but I learn't to adjust. The hardest thing for me was sugar as I LOVE chocolate. But I've got heaps of tips and support for you, its so good to find someone else who's been there!! I'd love to hear how you go and what your naturopath had to say.

Not sure what your symptoms are but mine were C, bloating, lethargy, cloudiness and moodiness. After 2 weeks on the new diet I had regular BMs (what a godsend!), after 6 weeks I was full of energy and the bloating had gone down. It really was the best thing ever. HOWEVER, it is tough and you'll need all the support you can get (thats why we're here ). Unfortunately I have been cheating lately and now feel crappy again, but starting tomorrow its back on the bandwagon, and back into good health!

I'd love to stay in touch and hear how you're going. I've got lots of substitute recipes and know of good GF products in Aus.

And about the overeating, your post could have been written by me!! I gorge myself at night, usually with sweet food, and its all to do with my depression and anxiety. But what I did find was that once I'd been following the diet for a couple of weeks I was feeling great (energy and good moods)and the cravings went. I can't wait to get back to that feeling because it was a real high! So I promise this diet will do you wonders!!

Take care and drop me a line anytime you're struggling.

Chrissy xx

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

you've got it.... new
      #158590 - 03/09/05 03:15 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Amy, that is going to be tough....I went cold turkey on sugar for a month and I have to say it really was the hardest hardest thing....my whole life Ive never gone a day without lots of sugar....I have such a sweet tooth and to give that up killed me. I found the first 2 weeks were the toughest....the first week in particular....I found myself just sniffing chocolate and stuff....my body craved it like mad! After that first initial time though it got easier and easier and I felt so much healthier! Having said that I found heathers diet soon after and I started all over again. Heathers diet however has been WAY more beneficial to my IBS than that particular diet was. Im with you every step of the way with this....from one sugar addict to another! And about the binge eating....I do that sometimes too...I did it last night....I had a dairy milk bar, pack of chocolate mini eggs and a bi bag of fatty crisp all within half an hour and felt sooo sick! I dont know why I do it to myself but I understand you completely. I know you CAN do this....we're all here for you so keep venting!!!

--------------------
Natalie

For Amy and Chrissy new
      #158625 - 03/09/05 06:13 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What is a Vega test? Amy is that what you had done too? Do they put little clips on your fingers and test you that way? I am interested.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Amy, how's it going? new
      #158642 - 03/09/05 06:30 AM
Augie

You hanging in there with your new diet? It's rough to break habits of over 2 years.

Sounds like your eating at night is emotional eating. This is very difficult to beat. But nothing to be embarrassed about, sweetie! I don't want to offer an inaccurate suggestion, but do you think you may have an eating disorder? I only mention this because in a latter post you mentioned that you hide the "stash" of food, and do this in secret and then feel ashamed and guilty, like you did something horrible by eating.. That is a common Eating Disorder behavior.

I hope I have not offended you. You know how I feel about you, sweetie. I just want you to be happy and healthy and get this under control. Keep us in touch with your progress and your need for support. You know we are all cheering you on and hear to listen and help you through this struggle.

Lots of hugs and love to you.
Beth

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Sorry I haven't posted today, really struggling. new
      #158643 - 03/09/05 06:32 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Just stick through it Amie, things will get better and easier! You will fall into your groove of what foods work for you and it will become second nature to you.

--------------------
-Sheri

Beth... new
      #158899 - 03/09/05 05:37 PM
doubletrouble

It's pretty hard. I could give up the sugar okay, but having to give up wheat and dairy too is driving me crazy. It feels like there's nothing left to eat once you remove all 3 from the diet!
I did wonder about an ED because I do hide my stash. Every now and then I'll let DH look in my drawer at just how much stuff I have in there and he's always completely shocked. Mostly though I hide it in there, in shoeboxes, drawers, under the bed. And every night I promise myself I won't eat like that tonight, then I sit there for 5 minutes being really good, decide 'well maybe just one piece won't hurt' then gobble like half a block of chocolate, a tub of frozen yoghurt, a packet of chips and then start on the chocolate again. When I feel sick enough I'll finally stop and lie there with my washing machine tummy groaning and protesting and feeling guilty about having put that much junk into my body and wondering why I can't seem to stop. It's really an awful thing.
On the plus side I'm suddenly sleeping again. I think all that sugar was giving me insomnia!
And I keep telling myself that this way of eating is only temporary. I plan to try and stay off the sugar for good but would like to have just the tiniest bit of milk on my brekkie and some wheat in my diet (sorry, you probably wish you could too, you're on a GF diet aren't you?).
Thanks for asking how it's going. Speaking of which, how are you going? Did my last email about the messenger make sense? Hope you're doing okay.

--------------------
Amy

#158902 - 03/09/05 05:40 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Amy, I am sorry I did not see this until now. You're in my thoughts and prayers. You will def. have the support of me and everyone else on the boards. All the best.

--------------------

Natalie, sniffing chocolate! new
      #158903 - 03/09/05 05:40 PM
doubletrouble

I'm doing that too! It's like I'm trying to torture myself or something. I stood in front of the fridge with the maple syrup jar for ages yesterday just smelling it! DH thought I'd finally gone round the bend. Then yesterday afternoon I made a cup of Lipton Choc Orange tea (can't drink it, I'm not allowed black tea atm) and took it around with me just smelling it. DH asked me what the heck I was doing! But it just smelled SO good! Bit weird huh?

--------------------
Amy

Thanks Tommy! new
      #158905 - 03/09/05 05:45 PM
doubletrouble

I knew you'd be there somewhere!

--------------------
Amy

Chrissy and Beth . I'll email you-nt new
      #158906 - 03/09/05 05:48 PM
doubletrouble

--------------------
Amy

Re: For Amy and Chrissy new
      #158907 - 03/09/05 05:49 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hey Beth! Hope you're feeling better these days. A vega test is where electrical currents are passed through offending foods and a sample of your saliva. The strength of the currents tell the naturopath whether you are able to tolerate that food type. I had it done last year (I've been calling it an allergy test as I've only just found out the true name!). Going gluten, diary, soy, alcohol and sugar free really helped, but [censored] its tough! The benefits are enormous but you need extreme willpower.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Linz, Ruchie and Sheri. new
      #158909 - 03/09/05 05:53 PM
doubletrouble

Thanks guys. I'm feeling a little better today although I think I'm in for a long visit to the loo later
My emotions are totally all over the place atm. One minute I'm depressed, the next I'm violently angry and the next I'm cracking up about something only I think is funny. It's very weird. Thanks for listening to me. And yes I can have carrots so I'll be eating a few of those!

--------------------
Amy

I don't eat dairy, gluten or sugar....... new
      #158955 - 03/09/05 07:53 PM
Snow for Sarala

Or chicken (makes me sick) or tomatoes (same) cucumbers (same)....

So I hear ya!

I DO eat a lot of gluten free tummy stuff, veggies, whole grains, and a bit of fruit.

Do you like/can you eat garlic? Olive oil? Vinegar? Mix together for a yummy drssing. You cna also add a bt of lemon juice o it...mmmm!

I put that or tahini/hummus on rice cakes or corn thins. I will also use it in my salads.

I like a bit of olive oil on a baked potato with soem chives.

I also enjoy olive spreads or guacamole too.

Do you eat tofu? there's tons you can do with it!

Search the boards for recipes. If you still feel stuck...let me know and I'll help as much as I can *hugs*

You WILL get through this...you're strong Amy! i belive in you!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#158967 - 03/09/05 08:46 PM
Luther Maze

Reged: 07/09/04
Loc: Tampa, Florida

It seems you've done one thing i was going to sugest and that was to confess you hiding places to you husband.

I also find that the little things, although by themself only help a little, but if you have a handfull of them they can help get you throw. ex. one i use is there's others out there with it the same or worse. No judgment just one that helps me. That the future, by the presence of ingnorance, can't be a curtanty. things like that.
Also;
Quote:

what I did find was that once I'd been following the diet for a couple of weeks I was feeling great (energy and good moods)and the cravings went. I can't wait to get back to that feeling because it was a real high!

is true to me.

Man, my memory isn't good. I though i had more to say. Well I'll just have to remember to keep my eye on the board here for future posts.

peace.

--------------------
Life is but a memory on the breath of a dying man.

Re: Linz, Ruchie and Sheri. new
      #159024 - 03/10/05 02:57 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Hi Amy!
I hope tomorrow goes heaps better for you. When DH stops being ill, give your sweet things to him and get him to EAT THEM ALL! If he's anything like my Hamish, your stash will last about five minutes. I hide food too.... but only because it doesn't stand a chance if Hamish finds it! (I may be just a little bit NO SHARE! about my junk food also)

I think you're amazing for committing to your health like this, and I know you can make it through this. Are you allowed kumara (or sweet potatoes? Do you have kumara in oz?)

--------------------
*Emma*

Me neither...or Soy new
      #159221 - 03/10/05 11:19 AM
Augie

If you need some help with figuring out a menu, let me know. It is so doable Amy. Rough in the beginning, but I can't believe I've been Gluten free for over a year and a half already. And dairy free for like forever!!! Sure I miss my bagels and pita breads (the GF versions are sky high in fat--like 8 grams per bagel), but there are other options and yummy foods out there that don't have gluten: rice and rice breads, millet, quinoa, rice rolls, sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, Kettle Chips, rice crackers...

And Rice Milk instead of dairy or soy.

Plus, it sounds like this is only temporary for you. So you can do anything if you know it's going to make you feel better. Nothing tastes as good as feeling good!! Remember that! It gets me past the temptation of having a cup of coffee, or a piece of melted cheese on a tuna melt!!

I'm here for you, Sweetie! YOU WANT TO FEEL GOOD. That is number one priority. No food is worth giving that up.

--------------------
~ Beth

Bump for Amy-nt new
      #159418 - 03/10/05 07:25 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Sorry Beth, must have missed this before. new
      #159421 - 03/10/05 07:36 PM
doubletrouble

I'm a bit spacey at the moment. I think a lack of caffiene and sugar maybe?-lol. I had the worst nights sleep on top of it too. Really bad leg cramps. I had to leap out of bed about 6 times and walk them out and Jacinta also had a bad night and ended up camping in with me and DH so I woke her up every time I jumped out and in between she kept poking my eyes out and sticking her fingers up my nose. Would have been quite hilarious if you were a fly on the wall.
I'd love some dinner ideas. Especially ones that the rest of the family could eat too. We all like chicken. Are you off red meats like Heather suggests? I'm allowed to have red meat apparantly. I've had a bit of lamb but my tummy's feeling awful right now so I don't really want to risk it too much. Other than that I've been faithfully grilling plain chicken and eating mashed potato with it. Also which makes things hard other than the no wheat, no sugar and no dairy (which I have to confess I'm cheating on a tiny bit after some extensive reading)I also can't have preservatives or yeast for at least 20 days. I'll be given a review on that on the 28th and am hoping she'll loosen the reins a little, he he.
If you have any yummy chicken dinners that are wheat, milk, preservative, yeast and sugar free I'd love to hear them. Just email them to me or post them on the recipie board (just let me know if you do or I'll never see them). Thanks Beth. Did you get my email?

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 401 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4009

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review