All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
A question for all the students (or wanna be students)
      #157583 - 03/06/05 07:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

There seems to be many people who are either in school or returning to school to pursue a career.

I was just wondering if you all could share what you are studying and what you want to do with your degree once you finish your couses.

It would be nice to get to know you all better. I know what some of you are studying already. But would love to hear from all of you. I'm really interested in learning what interests people have. Feel free to share if you care to!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A question for all the students (or wanna be students) new
      #157584 - 03/06/05 08:01 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm in a Bachelor of Health Administration program, it's pretty cool, it's a business degree with a signifigant health focus. It's a four year program with internships in the 3rd and 4th year. I'm just doing it part-time to try and make it more affordable, and I currently work for a major bank doing telephone banking. It's pretty cool, because I've got 2 potential career prospects. I could stay where I am and try and move up into management once I have my degree, or try and get a position as an administrator in a hospital or something. I don't really know what I want to do yet

#157587 - 03/06/05 08:04 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey there-

I am working on my PhD in Performance as Public Practice (which is a complicated hybrid between theatre history, theory, performance studies, and public intellectualism).

This semester I am taking Reception Theories, Transatlantic feminisms, and 3 hours credit for directing a show as part of the Co-Op Cohen New Works Festival (www.coopnwf.org).

When I finish I really want to teach at a small liberal arts college. Lately I've also been pondering looking for a job as a literary manager at a theatre. I've got a good while before I graduate though.

That's sounds interesting! new
      #157588 - 03/06/05 08:05 PM
Augie

I worked in hospital for 8 years and often miss the health care environement. That's where I worked in Human Resources as I posted in Stephie's post. That was one of three jobs I did at the hospital.

Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
~ Beth

I really respect people who... new
      #157594 - 03/06/05 08:13 PM
Augie

are brave enough to go for the ultimate PhD! Yikes! The disertation is intimidating.

You must be a really busy lady.

When I graduated from college my intention was also to get a PhD and teach at a small liberal arts college (like the one I attended). I love the academic environment so much and thought it would be better to teach at a college than to pay the outrageous tuition and remain a perpetual student. I do work at a small liberal arts college now, but just a menial job. Or what feels like one. I am so jealous of the professors and often beat myself up for not pursuing that route.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I really respect people who... new
      #157602 - 03/06/05 08:48 PM
chinagrl

You know what? The dissertation is not as intimidating to me as the qualifying exams. Five picky professors reading and judging two 10 page exams you have to write in a weekend. Yuck. When does that ever really happen in real life anyway?? I think it's one of those things you build up to. 100 page masters thesis, three years of writing multiple 30 page papers a semester, suddenly the dissertation seems totally do-able.

Anyway, thanks! I spend all of my time around other PhD peeps that it's nice every once in awhile to be reminded that it's hard and worth respecting.

I have no doubt you would make a great prof if you choose to- it's never too late to get that degree. And, if it makes you feel better, on the bad days, I've often pondered quitting and getting a job as an admissions officer or academic advisor at a university. Or, I suppose, teaching at a community college, which I could do with my masters.

My biggest mistake... new
      #157604 - 03/06/05 08:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...was allowing myself to be talked into a "practical" college major, rather than pursuing what I wanted to at the time. Granted, if I had gone to FIT for fashion design, it's hard to say if I'd be employed right now anyway or not. LOL But I was "guided" (read: brainwashed) into thinking that accounting would be a good field to get into. After a year as an accounting major, I switched to business management. Then computer science. Then back to accounting out of desperation. I still couldn't do it - all of it bored me to tears. I couldn't even bring myself to go to class most days, and I eventually dropped out.

Ten years later, I'm not thinking FIT would be a very good fit for me anymore - I still love fashion, but I don't live and breathe it like I did when I was 16. If I could just go back to school right now, I'd be an English major. Because I want to be, and because I find it interesting, not because I have ANY idea what I'd do with a degree in English.

But it's a moot point, because I'm an hour away from the nearest college, I don't have a car, and I refuse to get student loans. LOL

Re: My biggest mistake... new
      #157608 - 03/06/05 09:46 PM
chinagrl

Ah yes, the dreaded "practical major." Having gotten a double major in philosophy and theatre I heard the question, "but what are you going to DO with that?" quite a bit. That always annoys the snot out of me. I have plenty of friends who are very successful (from both majors). Some went to grad school, some work in the arts, some are in their third year of law school. It's the weird shift between the idea of a university as the place to get an education (in general, the specifics of which are not important- learn to think) and the idea of a university as a vocational school (I'm buying this degree because I need it to make money). I see a HUGE split between my students who believe in the former and who believe in the latter. And, frankly, the ones who are taking classes in things they love, or want to learn about, DO better than those who just want a degree and a lot of money. They care, so the better grades just easily follow.

Sorry to get all soap boxy about it! You just hit a sensitive spot for me!

I say, study what you love, a college education should teach you how to think, and once you have the degree you can figure out where to go from there.

#157615 - 03/06/05 11:40 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I would LOVE to go back to college full time! I got cajoled into doing a course in Business Administration - which I did with my eyes closed, I REALLY wanted to do graphic design, but took the easy option. At the time I'd just left 3 years of bullying behind me, so wasn't feeling that confident! Although I've done numerous part time and Open University courses in Web design I still hanker for more! I have recently seen a course online in Nutrician, which I would absolutely love to do right now....! We'll see and I'll keep you posted on it!! xx

Casey new
      #157632 - 03/07/05 02:20 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Just thought I'd share... One of my best friends went to school for fashion design. She spent a ridiculous amount of money on tuition but she is working in her field! She is designing clothes for a large company and loving it. She is very talented and is so glad that she followed her dream.

I think I'll end up going back to school some day and will change careers. I really like the idea of becoming a nutritionist or something along those lines.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6510

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review