All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)
Nichtmares + Sleeplessness new
      #151057 - 02/17/05 06:03 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I read too that the dose for sleep was 25-50mg taken at night, and the dose for its anti-depression value was 150-300mg. At the higher doses amitriptyline does give nightmares and sleeplessness. (This info is available at http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-e01.html)

One other side effect I found listed was increased breast size. Huh?? Has anybody gotten this, or weight gain?

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Fibro new
      #151060 - 02/17/05 06:17 AM
Nelly

Have you ever tried soma to sleep? I've taken it when I absolutely can't fall asleep and it works great for me. It does burn my stomach just a little, but no more than valium for me. Nothing like aspirin, which really burns.

I'll just do my own forum for fibro, I think. I'll work on it until I get bored, LOL! I do have some time between jobs right now. I just got official confirmation yday that I got the contract to work from home for 18 months for the NRC.

During the time from the 2nd week of December (when my last office was closed and all my coworkers lost their jobs with me ) and March 1st when I start the contract, I am officially "on vacation." In that time, I got an unofficial diagnosis from a doctor for fibro-- unofficial because it's not on my chart and hence not reportable as a pre-existing condition. When I get new insurance (I am uninsured, as I have no current job) I want to be treated for it, but until then, I'll go see a doctor in England when I'm there the last 2 weeks of March to get some medication and more information about the condition. That's the plan so far.

~nelly~

Re: Nichtmares + Sleeplessness new
      #151074 - 02/17/05 06:41 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Ugh, my GI put me on amitriptyline for my IBS, actually, and I ended up really, really dizzy and groggy, even on 5mg/day taken right before I went to bed! Then again, I've had a reaction to like that to every AD my GI or my neuro tried to put me on...

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#151079 - 02/17/05 06:48 AM
Nelly

Oooh, bummer. Did the effects go away during the day? Or were you continually dizzy all day? I totally understand about not being able to take meds! I have adverse reactions to so many of them!!

How's school, btw??

~nelly~

#151096 - 02/17/05 07:10 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

It was continual! I'm on no meds except peppermint caps and a mulitvitamin now, since they can't find something that a) I don't have some reaction to (like Bentyl, apparently I'm allergic to it, it made me shake uncontrollably for days or any of the ADs they put me on, that made me really dizzy and groggy and unable to function!) or b) just plain doesn't work, like Levsin. So basically I've given up on drs for the moment and just am trying to work stuff through watching what I eat, getting enough sleep, and trying not to stress too much.

School's going alright, I'm still on co-op until the end of March, but I'm taking two classes at the same time. The classes are alright, the one prof's fantastic, even gave us a group take home midterm this weekend! The other prof is an ass in terms of grading and requirements (it's a lab course), but I think I've mastered the art of getting the highest possible grade from him (which is always a 9/10, never a 10/10)

Excited about the new job?

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#151103 - 02/17/05 07:15 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Now if that was the case, increased breast size, than I would keep taking it but no such luck at least not for me. LOL!

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Re: Problems new
      #151107 - 02/17/05 07:20 AM
Tissy

i definitely hear ya as far as anxiety and agitation go but my D hasn't come back in awhile and I have not had weight gain or loss but I did go through a real bad dizzy spell right around X-mas whenI stopped the Effexor. But I would think any withdrawal symptoms I had would have stopped by now so maybe it is just that I am not getting enough sleep?? Thanks for sharing with me I appreciate it.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

#151109 - 02/17/05 07:25 AM
Nelly

9/10! What a tease!! My lab profs were always the hardest graders. Gotta hate that!! You're a 10/10 in my book!

I'm way excited about the job, and I get to relearn everything about nuclear energy, which I always loved in school! The program is going to be a bear to organize (40 speakers in 3 days, with 4 languages!) but hopefully I'll get some help with staffing my team from the NRC. Should be fun!!

~nelly~

LOL! new
      #151111 - 02/17/05 07:26 AM
Nelly

I told my BF that, and he said GO FER IT. LOL! Men.

~nelly~

Re: Fibro new
      #151117 - 02/17/05 07:30 AM
Tissy

Sorry I missed the part where you lost your job! But that's okay right? Now you got a better one working from home.

What is soma? Is it an herb or an OTC? My doc refuses to prescribe me something to help me sleep he thinks I will get addicted. I have never been the addictive personality. I can drink but generally don't , never smoked, and never used drugs just didn't ever feel the need. I have been on painkillers before and never got addicted took them as prescribed and then stopped when doc said I should. So what is up w/ him I don't know? I mean I sat in his office and told him I am not getting sleep and I look tired. And then he asked me about diet and exercise and how I feel in general and then said "Well sounds like you are doing great see ya in 3 months!" I swear I looked all around the room confused thinking did what I hear myself say actually come out or did I just think it and instead told this guy I feel great. Either that or he is real dense???

That's a bummer about the insurance but a good thing that it isn't on your charts those insurance guys are a pain in the neck when it comes to pre-existing conditions.

I hope you have a good time in England and please share any useful info you get from the doc in England. Sounds like a good plan.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1656 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 100738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review