All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Anyone heard of the McKenzie method of physical therapy? new
      #150014 - 02/14/05 02:51 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Just got back from the evaluation part of the physical therapy where the therapist used this technique called the McKenzie Method. She put me through this series of exercises ----and it was extremely painful!

I'm not too sure about this. When I left, I had pain running down my buttock and into my leg! She wants me to do these exercises every 2 hours until I return on Wed.

Anyone heard of this McKenzie method? Yikes! And she wants me to sleep in the bed and not in the recliner. That's easy for her to say! I guess I will be taking a pain pill tonight !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Back from the doctor new
      #150068 - 02/14/05 04:12 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

OH so sorry BL,

I wish there was better news. I bet the physical therapy will help in the long run but I know you want relief now.

The mattress might be a good idea. Do some research on it and give it some thought. There are some beds that are like hospital beds that you could do in a recliner like position.

Have you thought about muscle relaxers...would they help?
Can you take Advil? My hubby had bursitis of the hip really bad and the Advil seemed to help him. Have you tried sleeping in the fetal position with a pillow between your legs?

Sending you hugs so you will feel better soon.

Barbie

--------------------

#150074 - 02/14/05 04:21 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Well at least you know exactly what it is that is causing you so much pain. Shame you had such a stupid doctor in the past that couldn't find out what was wrong! Oh well, that's in the past now, look only to the future. Physical therapy will HELP tremedously I'm sure. Give it some time. I think you will really notice the difference.

Glad you are on the road to recovery!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Barbie new
      #150084 - 02/14/05 05:16 PM
BL

I've tried everything, including the pillow under my knees. It helps in the recliner, but not in the bed. And I have taken 2 muscle relaxants and 4 Advil (on the advice of the other doctor) and I still woke up in the middle of the night in pain! It's not muscle pain, it's the disc pressing on a nerve!

I am in so much pain from the physical therapy today, and it's time for me to do my exercises again. Ugh! I know I have to get through this, but I don't know if I'm strong enough to work through this pain.

I just took the anti-inflammatory med he gave me to try (Mobic). Hopefully, it will kick in soon because I cannot take any over the counter pain meds such as Advil while taking it.

#150114 - 02/14/05 09:23 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I can sure sympathize with what you're going through. My husband has degenerative disc disease. He's been disabled for 2 years because of that and other problems, too.

He's been through every test, too. He had the nerve conduction test also. He's also had the cortisone shots, but they didn't work for him. Lots of people get good relief from the shots though and I think they're definitely worth a try.

Surgery hasn't been recommended for my husband either. He's never had any physical therapy exercises. Sounds like it might be promising though if you can't get through the pain. My hubby is on pain pills round the clock and has to use a sleeping pill to get any sleep at all. Both of these have made a big difference in his ability to get some sleep.
I hope you soon find some good relief. Keep in touch with your doctors and don't give up until they find something that works for you.
We haven't given up yet.
Terri

#150120 - 02/14/05 09:39 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

BL, I also have lumbar 4-5 disk problems. I am so afraid that my problem may be the same as yours. I pray for you that the therapy helps.

I wish I could help you on the bed, I just bought a Simmons Beautyrest, we love it.

I wish I could help you with that pain. love toyou, gayla

#150158 - 02/15/05 04:07 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I'm glad that you found out what is wrong with you. I had a feeling it was probably something like that. I'm so sorry that there doesn't seem to be any real treatment for you. That must be a hard thing to have been told.

I found this article for you.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article242.html

They recommend light stretching, accupuncture, drug therapy, chiropractors, and posible surgery.

Hang in there and we're all thinking about you.

BL new
      #150180 - 02/15/05 05:45 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I am sorry that you have to go through this. I have seen my father suffer from a degenerative back for almost 20 years now. He had back surgery for herniated discs in 1981 and was ok until 1987 when he was struck by an automobile while crossing the street. At the time he was only 39 years old. He has not worked since the accident and is on SSI benefits. The '87 accident ruptured discs in his neck (he had sugery for that) and reinjured the operated discs from 1981. Also from the accident he has an arthritic knee and ner ve damage. His nerve damage is so bad in his hands that he does not have feeling in his index finger and middle finger. Quite honestly I don't know how the man lives with the pain. I think you get used to it for awhile. He never takes any anti-inflammatories or even goes to thereapy. One thing he swears he will never do is go under the knife. He feels back surgery is useless. I wish I could give you words of comfort. I see my father and I see a remarkable man who is one tough SOB. Just remember the mind plays a powerful role in pain. I think somehow my dad has not allowed the pain to control his life. Keep doing what you're doing, go to the therapy and believe in yourself.

--------------------

Tommy
      #150190 - 02/15/05 06:12 AM
BL

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am trying to be strong. I can tolerate the pain during the day, but when it keeps me from sleeping, that's when I get angry!!! Honestly, I don't know how your father deals with all he has been through. He must be in horrible pain. That must be awful! He must be a really strong person.

I keep telling myself that there are people who are in much worse pain than I am ---and they manage. But at 4:19 a.m., when I'm walking the floor in pain, I am furious that I cannot sleep. Some people can make do with just a little sleep, but I can't. I need my sleep!

And my poor husband. I know I'm waking him up every night!

Tina
      #150191 - 02/15/05 06:16 AM
BL

Thanks for the info. I had already seen this website while searching the web. I had to laugh, though, because in the first paragraph it says that most people with DDD don't need medical management!!! I guess I am a wuss then! I'd like to take the writer of that article and press a disc against his/her sciatic nerve ---and see how they deal with it! When I lie down at night, I feel like someone has plugged me into an electrical socket. Not something you want to feel constantly while you are trying to sleep.

This has got to get better!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 682 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12756

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review