Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Iron levels dropping again
      #148262 - 02/09/05 02:02 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Hope maybe somebody can give me some advice. I was at the doctor yesterday and they told me that my iron levels have dropped again, and that I would have to come back and discuss what we are going to do. I'm so frustrated because I hate being so cold and tired all the time, and I'm doing everything right and still having problems.

Long story short, back earlier this year I was barely eating, so I can understand why my iron dropped. It was at 14 in August when I was put in the hospital (the range it should be is between 18-49). That's when the doctors started saying they thought I had an eating disorder (so frustrating because I don't, I just have bad D and trouble keeping food down). So, they basically kept me in the hospital for 8 days, forced me to eat all sorts of stuff and made me promise to keep eating appropriately. Ever since then I've been eating properly (and lots of iron rich foods) and my level remained steady at 14. Then, they did blood work early January, and it's come back at 4! That's a real drop and it really concerns me! I mean, now I'm eating properly so why should it be dropping other than some sort of GI bleed or something? (I don't have periods so it can't be that).

Anyways, I'm just annoyed becuase I feel like the docs just assumed I had an ED and didn't bother fully investigating things, and now that my levels are dropping I'll probably need to have more stupid tests.

Sorry for the rant,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

*HUG* Kelly.. I hate stupid docs... new
      #148281 - 02/09/05 02:52 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

if you are able to- have you considereed changing docs and insisting they take this seriously??

I know until someone stepped in and my grandfather saw a different doctor his liver failure due to a med he was on went undiagnosed despite typical symptoms of LATE stage cirhossis... he was past where anyone should have been diagnosed. I hope they find out whats causing the iron issues.. I have a friend who has a diagnosed disorder in regards to maintaining her iron levels, but has found ways to get it to the minimal acceptable level and keep it there and can't do more, even with a docs help... I hope they find the cause for you!

AMie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Iron levels dropping again new
      #148330 - 02/09/05 05:26 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Kelly. My iron levels keep dropping too for no reason. It's awful being cold all the time and the tiredness is insane! My friends are starting to think I'm quite mad as I've worn a jumper almost all summer and even had a few days where I've put the heater on cause I was just freezing. I'm having a colonoscopy in a few weeks to check for ulceration and bleeding. I so get how you feel about having more tests done. I'm so over being poked, prodded and made to take stuff that makes the d worse than it already is. Good luck. I hope you get some answers and they fix your iron levels soon so you start feeling a bit better. Big hugs.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Iron levels dropping again new
      #148366 - 02/09/05 07:04 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Amy,

Sorry to hear that you're having similar problems...I know what you mean about people thinking your nuts, I dress in so many layers it's crazy! It's winter where I am so that doesn't help I hope they get to the bottom of what's going on with you as well, and good luck with your colonoscopy! I had one in May and it was actually one of the easier tests I've had done.

Kelly

Grrrr.... new
      #148511 - 02/10/05 07:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...stupid doctors. You go get tested! Maybe your body's having trouble absorbing the iron from the food...I've heard of that happening before.

Good luck!

Kelly new
      #148513 - 02/10/05 07:55 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Sorry you're having such a hard time with your iron levels. I don't know what could be causing that. I know you don't want to have more tests run, but they have to figure out why this is happening. This can't be good for you!

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. Hope you get some answers soon. I know it's frustrating! Keep us posted.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1285 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 709

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review