All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
It's been about two weeks on Zyprexa.
      #148221 - 02/09/05 12:54 PM
Urban Rain

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

My focus is coming back. And, it is going to be interesting to see how the next month or two unfolds.

Unless someone has taken an antipsychotic, it is difficult to understand how it affects one's state of mind. The results are immediate. -for the better, hopefully.

My bowels are going berserk... -adjusting to a new med. & it's a lot of constipation and "clearing out," so to speak. Heck, I could have gone to a hospital for a couple weeks of their accomodations. Yet, the stay would have been very boring, albeit peaceful.

As for now, I'm starting recovery from the med. I do not need the pot, anymore. It was originally smoked to aid my gut, but, Zyprexa is much easier on my digestion. -still have bloating, though. That's more a matter of diet and with the help of your recipes, will be under control Thank you all for your contributions as I'm a single guy who's either lived at home with the folks, or in a "residential hotel" for the mentally ill where institution food was prepared. In other words, I've never had to really cook for myself. This will prove to be adventurous as there is quite a domestic streak in my character.

So, gotta learn to cook. And, hopefully with this new focus and clarity my path won't go to far off track. Seems as though my interests have been bouncing around for a long time. It's not that there's no discipline. Quite the contrary..., it's that my mind has been in a fuzzed-out state for over three years (still not aware of how long I was on the Abilify. Certainly since I've been involved with this message board.) It's been like a very mild sleep, to put it best.

So, if I seem to be oversimplistic on things, please pardon me. It's an awakening of sorts and I need some time to adjust to my environment and redevelop social skills. The disorder is depression. The need for antipsychotic arose because the blues went on for a very long time untreated. This all happened in my youth and adolescence. I'll be forty years old this spring. It's a life-long deal and accepted completely by my actions of total med compliance for about twenty years.

I know this is a message board for digestive ailments, yet, I bring mental health into my messages because it is such a prominent factor in my life and many of you can hopefully relate to your own situation. I've been a patient, and therefore have had to focus on an aspect of health since 1988. Now, with the good med. I can turn much of this attention to digestion. My approach has been preventative maintenance with the depression. It seems that this is also extremely effective with IBS because it is a matter of preventing attacks much like that of avoiding psychiatric episodes. Very much personal responsibility is involved, in terms of modifying behavior. Yet, the reward is worth it.

Thank you all for being here for me. There is still a great stigma towards the mentally ill and it is comforting to know there is a safe place to exchange ideas, share moods, and generally keep in touch. This means a lot to me as depression can result in severe social isolation. In other words, and I'll end this here, you are appreciated.

Bob

--------------------
If you love the meter, the beat is sweeter.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bob new
      #148272 - 02/09/05 02:28 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I am glad to hear you are doing better. I have bipolar disorder and have been bounced around from one doctor to another, and from one medicine to another. I finally found one (doctor and medicine) that although not perfect, I can live with. Like you, I try to share my experience with depression/bipolar in hopes that it will alleviate some of the stigma associated with mental illness---and hopefully, it might help someone else.

That's what I like about this board. Everyone is welcome here, no matter whether they want to talk about digestive issues or something else. As long as you're nice and civil, you are accepted for who you are.

I appreciate your honesty, Bob, and your willingness to share your experiences.

Thank you. new
      #148295 - 02/09/05 03:26 PM
Urban Rain

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

I do need this outlet. I'm unipolar. And, it affects almost every aspect of my life. Yes, it does feel safe, here. Considering what I've experienced with the medication imbalance, it's like I have to start over again after having been on a "vacation from reality."

I'm glad that there are other people, here, who have these issues. In my life there are a lot of people in obvious need of mental health treatment, yet, few who are in serious recovery.

I give it about a year til there is a solid feeling of having been in recovery. Right now it's taken care of with medicine, but my behavior must follow. Also, I need to re-enter myself into as mainstream a lifestyle as possible.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my posts. And, the feedback is greatly appreciated (and sorely lacking in my non-cyber life). So, I'll ride this pony of a website for as long as possible. Too much wasted energy going towards things and people who are not spiritual and/or of a healing nature.

Take care, and thanks again. Bob.

--------------------
If you love the meter, the beat is sweeter.

Re: Bob new
      #148327 - 02/09/05 05:20 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I too appreciate your honesty and I thank you both for sharing your experiences. My DH's aunty suffers from schizophrenia so I know what sort of social attitudes there are out there about mental illness. Unfortunately so many of them are SO wrong.
I hope that your meds continue to help and that your stomach adjusts soon.
Good luck and keep us updated on how you're going.

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 500 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 563

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review