All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
What should I do? (girl question)
      #148207 - 02/09/05 12:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Argh, I swear, nothing is ever simple.

I had to go to the clinic this morning for a birth control resupply. I've been using the Patch since early last summer. Well, TODAY they decide to tell me that - surprise! - MaineCare (Medicaid) doesn't cover the Patch. The prescription was a total error on their part, and they've apologized (big f***ing deal!), and given me the Pill instead.

Fine. Except that they tell you that if you have D, you should use backup protection. Well, I have D all the freaking time now. And ya know, using a backup ALL THE TIME kind of defeats the purpose of using the pill in the first place, don'tcha think?

I'm terrified of getting pregnant - it would, literally, be the WORST thing that could happen to me right now. So what do I do? Take the pill and take my chances? Or NOT take the pill and take my chances?!

Anyone who thinks Medicaid is a handout should live in my shoes. They stopped paying for my Lexapro, too. The only reason I'm still taking it is because my pharmacy is finagling a little. The state obviously wants me pregnant and suicidal, and I think that's pretty screwed up.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

*HUG* new
      #148208 - 02/09/05 12:24 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

use anothr form of protection... and I wouldnt' waste the energy on the pill if you can't rely on it when you have D.. I'd never heard of that though- check online and see if they have any back up research to that claim.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: What should I do? (girl question) new
      #148209 - 02/09/05 12:26 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hmmm....I'd say take the pill AND use another form of protection. If you're really that terrified of getting pregnant then it's not worth risking it.

It sucks I know....but once you get yourself stable enough that you're not having D all the time then you should be okay to just rely on the pill.

I've been on the pill for 9 years now and I used to be IBS-A and got D about once/week or once every 2 weeks and it never effected the pill. If you're having it every single day though I can see how it would cuz your body isn't absorbing it properly and my doctor told me the same thing.

Anyway....like I said, I'd use another form of protection on top of the pill just to be safe.

Edited by Kimm (02/09/05 12:26 PM)

#148218 - 02/09/05 12:49 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Have you tried writing to the insurance company? Sometimes (though rare) they will allow another med during special circumstances. This may be one of those that they may allow go through. A pain in the a$$ but it might be worth a try.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#148229 - 02/09/05 01:05 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Casey,

That really sucks!

I am not on the pill and am also terrified of getting pregnant. Why bother taking the pill. Just use condoms and be VERY safe. I personally think that the pill is bad for woman's bodies and will never take it. I tried twice and I got so sick that I figured my body was trying to tell me something.

I know it's easy for me to say this, but try not to be so discouraged Casey. As for the Lexapro, you need to take it and that's awful that Medicaid doesn't pay for it anymore.

I feel bad for ya Casey. But try not to dwell on this as it will just get you even more down.

Big hugs!

#148232 - 02/09/05 01:14 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Use another form .... take the pill and slap on a condom....(you can "make" it fun)

I don't take the pill....but we use condoms... and we have been married for 2-1/2 years....

I know your frustrated.....but there other forms that you can use that are safe for you.

Quote:

What Kind of Birth Control Is Best for You?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is part of the United States Government. It is FDA's job to make sure drugs and other medical treatments work and are safe.

Many Products Can Help Prevent Pregnancy
If you and your partner don't want to have a baby at this time, there are many different products that can help prevent pregnancy.

The types of birth control that are most reliable for preventing pregnancy are birth control pills, injections, implants, IUDs, and sterilization. Of every 100 women who use one of these types of birth control for a year, about 1 to 5 women will become pregnant.

Latex condoms for men and diaphragms with spermicide are less effective. Of every 100 women who rely on them for a year, about 14 to 20 will become pregnant. Other methods of birth control, such as spermicide alone, female condoms, and natural family planning, don't work as well.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#148237 - 02/09/05 01:24 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I just spent most of the afternoon on the phone between the two clinics and Medicaid. I am getting the runaround. Each office is telling me that the other office needs to do this and that, and I'm tired of it, so I'm quitting for today. Most of the offices are closing now anyway.

We can't use condoms, I won't get into why. Shell, MaineCare won't pay for most of the other options either. The only other option I have is the shot, I haven't even considered that possibility so I guess I'll have to look into that later.

I'm sorry. I never should have started whining about this on here anyway. I'm having a really bad week. I've been having a non-stop panic attack since Monday morning, and everything is making me insane right now.

I'm going to bed. I need a break. I'll be back. Thanks for everything, guys.

#148239 - 02/09/05 01:28 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I just spent most of the afternoon on the phone between the two clinics and Medicaid. I am getting the runaround. Each office is telling me that the other office needs to do this and that, and I'm tired of it, so I'm quitting for today. Most of the offices are closing now anyway. I'm sorry your getting the run around....:(

We can't use condoms, I won't get into why. Shell, MaineCare won't pay for most of the other options either. The only other option I have is the shot, I haven't even considered that possibility so I guess I'll have to look into that later. Sorry, I did not think about them not covering that. Yeah, look into the shot.... I'm not sure how often it needs to be done. I think my Sister does that.

I'm sorry. I never should have started whining about this on here anyway. I'm having a really bad week. I've been having a non-stop panic attack since Monday morning, and everything is making me insane right now. You can whin any time you need to... remember where you are!!

I'm going to bed. I need a break. I'll be back. Thanks for everything, guys. Get some rest sweetie.... we will be here.

{{hugs}}

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#148243 - 02/09/05 01:38 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh Casey, go rest up and get better soon.

I only worked for 2 hours today and had to leave work because I feel so lousy today. I spent three hours in bed and it helped.

If you can't use condoms, you are a bit limited.

Here: http://www.itsyoursexlife.com/preg_sub2.html

Hang in there.

#148247 - 02/09/05 01:42 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

ok I know they are not as fun butttt...how about condoms? we have these great ones, which are expensive, but a lot cheaper though amazon, called lamskins by trojan and they are grosely made out of lambs intestines I think (pretty apt considering you have ibs hahahaha boyyy I'm a hoot!!) anyway...hubby says they feel great!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 376 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2385

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review