All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
What should I do? (girl question)
      #148207 - 02/09/05 12:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Argh, I swear, nothing is ever simple.

I had to go to the clinic this morning for a birth control resupply. I've been using the Patch since early last summer. Well, TODAY they decide to tell me that - surprise! - MaineCare (Medicaid) doesn't cover the Patch. The prescription was a total error on their part, and they've apologized (big f***ing deal!), and given me the Pill instead.

Fine. Except that they tell you that if you have D, you should use backup protection. Well, I have D all the freaking time now. And ya know, using a backup ALL THE TIME kind of defeats the purpose of using the pill in the first place, don'tcha think?

I'm terrified of getting pregnant - it would, literally, be the WORST thing that could happen to me right now. So what do I do? Take the pill and take my chances? Or NOT take the pill and take my chances?!

Anyone who thinks Medicaid is a handout should live in my shoes. They stopped paying for my Lexapro, too. The only reason I'm still taking it is because my pharmacy is finagling a little. The state obviously wants me pregnant and suicidal, and I think that's pretty screwed up.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

*HUG* new
      #148208 - 02/09/05 12:24 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

use anothr form of protection... and I wouldnt' waste the energy on the pill if you can't rely on it when you have D.. I'd never heard of that though- check online and see if they have any back up research to that claim.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: What should I do? (girl question) new
      #148209 - 02/09/05 12:26 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hmmm....I'd say take the pill AND use another form of protection. If you're really that terrified of getting pregnant then it's not worth risking it.

It sucks I know....but once you get yourself stable enough that you're not having D all the time then you should be okay to just rely on the pill.

I've been on the pill for 9 years now and I used to be IBS-A and got D about once/week or once every 2 weeks and it never effected the pill. If you're having it every single day though I can see how it would cuz your body isn't absorbing it properly and my doctor told me the same thing.

Anyway....like I said, I'd use another form of protection on top of the pill just to be safe.

Edited by Kimm (02/09/05 12:26 PM)

#148218 - 02/09/05 12:49 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Have you tried writing to the insurance company? Sometimes (though rare) they will allow another med during special circumstances. This may be one of those that they may allow go through. A pain in the a$$ but it might be worth a try.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#148229 - 02/09/05 01:05 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Casey,

That really sucks!

I am not on the pill and am also terrified of getting pregnant. Why bother taking the pill. Just use condoms and be VERY safe. I personally think that the pill is bad for woman's bodies and will never take it. I tried twice and I got so sick that I figured my body was trying to tell me something.

I know it's easy for me to say this, but try not to be so discouraged Casey. As for the Lexapro, you need to take it and that's awful that Medicaid doesn't pay for it anymore.

I feel bad for ya Casey. But try not to dwell on this as it will just get you even more down.

Big hugs!

#148232 - 02/09/05 01:14 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Use another form .... take the pill and slap on a condom....(you can "make" it fun)

I don't take the pill....but we use condoms... and we have been married for 2-1/2 years....

I know your frustrated.....but there other forms that you can use that are safe for you.

Quote:

What Kind of Birth Control Is Best for You?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is part of the United States Government. It is FDA's job to make sure drugs and other medical treatments work and are safe.

Many Products Can Help Prevent Pregnancy
If you and your partner don't want to have a baby at this time, there are many different products that can help prevent pregnancy.

The types of birth control that are most reliable for preventing pregnancy are birth control pills, injections, implants, IUDs, and sterilization. Of every 100 women who use one of these types of birth control for a year, about 1 to 5 women will become pregnant.

Latex condoms for men and diaphragms with spermicide are less effective. Of every 100 women who rely on them for a year, about 14 to 20 will become pregnant. Other methods of birth control, such as spermicide alone, female condoms, and natural family planning, don't work as well.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#148237 - 02/09/05 01:24 PM
atomic rose

I just spent most of the afternoon on the phone between the two clinics and Medicaid. I am getting the runaround. Each office is telling me that the other office needs to do this and that, and I'm tired of it, so I'm quitting for today. Most of the offices are closing now anyway.

We can't use condoms, I won't get into why. Shell, MaineCare won't pay for most of the other options either. The only other option I have is the shot, I haven't even considered that possibility so I guess I'll have to look into that later.

I'm sorry. I never should have started whining about this on here anyway. I'm having a really bad week. I've been having a non-stop panic attack since Monday morning, and everything is making me insane right now.

I'm going to bed. I need a break. I'll be back. Thanks for everything, guys.

#148239 - 02/09/05 01:28 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I just spent most of the afternoon on the phone between the two clinics and Medicaid. I am getting the runaround. Each office is telling me that the other office needs to do this and that, and I'm tired of it, so I'm quitting for today. Most of the offices are closing now anyway. I'm sorry your getting the run around....:(

We can't use condoms, I won't get into why. Shell, MaineCare won't pay for most of the other options either. The only other option I have is the shot, I haven't even considered that possibility so I guess I'll have to look into that later. Sorry, I did not think about them not covering that. Yeah, look into the shot.... I'm not sure how often it needs to be done. I think my Sister does that.

I'm sorry. I never should have started whining about this on here anyway. I'm having a really bad week. I've been having a non-stop panic attack since Monday morning, and everything is making me insane right now. You can whin any time you need to... remember where you are!!

I'm going to bed. I need a break. I'll be back. Thanks for everything, guys. Get some rest sweetie.... we will be here.

{{hugs}}

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#148243 - 02/09/05 01:38 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh Casey, go rest up and get better soon.

I only worked for 2 hours today and had to leave work because I feel so lousy today. I spent three hours in bed and it helped.

If you can't use condoms, you are a bit limited.

Here: http://www.itsyoursexlife.com/preg_sub2.html

Hang in there.

#148247 - 02/09/05 01:42 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

ok I know they are not as fun butttt...how about condoms? we have these great ones, which are expensive, but a lot cheaper though amazon, called lamskins by trojan and they are grosely made out of lambs intestines I think (pretty apt considering you have ibs hahahaha boyyy I'm a hoot!!) anyway...hubby says they feel great!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#148252 - 02/09/05 01:51 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Casey,

Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble Could you try other BC options? Might Medicaid cover something like Depo-Provera? I wish I had better advice for you...is there any sort of appeal process or anything?

Kelly

#148257 - 02/09/05 01:55 PM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I just started taking Melatonin for sleep and it also helps with birth control. I'm not sure how much, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the dr. Just a suggestion. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#148259 - 02/09/05 01:56 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

dalia had a condoms issue and resolved it with special ones-might work for you
IF not the shot sounds like a good bet, I was considering it but was afraid of weight gain and skin problems in the run up to the wedding. I posted last week about it.
Hang in there

--------------------
S.

No advice but ... new
      #148260 - 02/09/05 01:59 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

lots of love and hugs for you Casey. I know what the medicare system is like. You can spend the entire day on the phone and not get a darn thing accomplished. Just give you a different number to call.

And I also had to go without meds because they wouldn't pay for anything. Thank goodness for doctors who give free samples. But then I think they just give you whatever they have and it may not even be what is best for you. But it's free so you take it anyways.

Please take care of yourself and come to us for support.
Love ya!
Beth

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I can completely understand... new
      #148261 - 02/09/05 01:59 PM
Urban Rain

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

...your frustration with the State. I'm in vocational rehabilitation which is funded by the State of California. It can be a real hassle, let alone a nightmare, in terms of health issues. Heh, and they are going to find me a job!?! Not with that Romper Room they call a school, that I've been sent too. The instructor is a jack*** and the Disabled Services really sucks!!! I have much to comment on the neglect and abuse that occurs within State funded programs. But, for now I just do my time till June and change what I can in terms of that involvement with government programs.

In regards to your contraceptive issues..., all I can say is find out as many options as are available. And, choose one like you were shopping for a car. BE VERY SELECTIVE AS THIS IS AN INVESTMENT IN SOMETHING VERY SIGNIFICANT.

As for the frustration with the "system" in general, we have to look at ourselves as consumers. And, I totally agree that there is no such thing as a handout. We pay, one way or another... I've known literally hundreds of people under government assistance with varying degrees of involvement in their health treatment, and various levels of disability.

So, if I can be any manner of assistance or support, let me know. I'm a "veteran of government assistance." -going on twenty years. Don't let the system make you crazy. There's usually a way to work things out within it. For now, take it for with it's faults. It's better than nothing.

Bob

And, I hope this works out for you. But, for now you have my full validation that the State can be a real pain in the butt.

--------------------
If you love the meter, the beat is sweeter.

#148265 - 02/09/05 02:08 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

HUGS!!!! I wish I had some great advice!! Can you use the other peotection! I can't I am to sensetive! I would avoid your ovulation time! OO honey I am sorry your having this happen!!!

BIG HUGE HUGS!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: *HUG* new
      #148273 - 02/09/05 02:31 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh honey, I hope you feel better soon! As far as the pill and D, they are just worried you may not absorb the full dose, I've NEVER heard of anyone actually getting pregnant because of D though, I think its mostly a disclaimer to cover their a**es!! If your cycles are regular, which if you are on the pill, they should be. You are only fertile for about a week. If you ovulate on CD14, which most girls on the pill do, then you could only get pregnant from about CD 11-18. So, thats the time you need to focus on. If you can't do condoms, you would probably be fine with the rythem method for that week.

Is your D ALL day long or is it mostly in the am or pm? If its mostly one time of day, take the pill the opposite time. So, if you have D in the am, take the pill in the pm. Can you/he tolerate spermicade jels/creams? That would be a good alternative and can add some slippery, fun!!

Have you asked the clinic how much it would be to be fitted for a diaphram? That may also be an alternative. I've never used one before but have heard good things about them for women who can't tolerate the pill.

Curl up with the heating pad and some tea! Hang in there! Lots of love and hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#148274 - 02/09/05 02:39 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Casey that sucks!
Argh... the government is so screwed up when it comes to social services (what I am finding out in school now that I am entering the field )
That is CRAZY that they won't cover lexapro OR the patch. Sounds like they want to just throw some *cheap* pills at you to make it look like they are doing something.
This makes me very very mad!
The only thing that they probably cover is the depo shot, I know I had a HORRIBLE time on it, but most people like it cause they don't get their period.
If it is not costing you anything, it wouldn't hurt to take the pill (if it is not affecting you) and use back up.
Even on the patch, I still always used back up, I am too afraid of getting pregnant. I don't trust any BC 100%!
I hated the pill, too. I just don't trust it.
Last time I switched BC, the doctor mentioned there was some kind of ring you insert? It is probably not covered for you, but just an idea.
Sounds like you gotta make do with a crappy situation. If I had a way to get more patches I would send a bunch of mine to you! But they are really strict with mine, I only get x amount every year until i get an exam. Found out the hard way this year when they almost cut me off!

Hope evertyhing works out, and atleast they still are able to get you the Lexapro right now!

--------------------
-Sheri

If you really want the patch.. new
      #148283 - 02/09/05 02:57 PM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

Call your local Planned Parenthood. I used to work there and we carried it. They work on a sliding fee scale and if you can't pay it will be free. It's worth a try!

--------------------

Re: If you really want the patch.. new
      #148285 - 02/09/05 03:08 PM
atomic rose

The clinic I go to is our equivalent of Planned Parenthood. Because I'm on Medicaid, they have to go through Medicaid - I can't get anything that Medicaid won't pay for. Already tried that.

Yeah, I just did some reading on Depo and... new
      #148286 - 02/09/05 03:11 PM
atomic rose

It's definitely NOT the way I want to go. Nope. So if I'm stuck between the pill and Depo, I guess I'll have to make do with the pill (and do a lot of praying, since we can't use condoms). #@@^$#)^)@^#@)^&^O! government. They all suck.

Oohhhhhhhh, good point! new
      #148289 - 02/09/05 03:15 PM
atomic rose

See, I'm so screwed up in the head this week, I didn't even think of that. I'm getting D several times a week, and it's almost always in the morning. So I should take the pill in the evening, then. Or maybe I'll go with my original thought and take them around noonish... I'm almost always done with my "attacks" by lunchtime.

And you're right... for that one week, rhythm should be fine, like it always was. I've gotten spoiled. I mean, the patch is the first BC I've *ever* been on and that's been for less than a year, and I've avoided getting pregnant so far, so I'm not really sure what I'm worried about.

Thank you, Michele!

Birth control sucks!! new
      #148328 - 02/09/05 05:21 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Oh Casey I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, I don't understand why it can't be easier to prevent pregnancy and why it's always such a big issue for the woman!! And, ALL insurance companies suck and I get so annoyed with all the BS and paperwork and rules...I hope you find a good solution...I don't know what else to offer since I don't think any of the options are very good. Sorry and good luck!

--------------------
~Angela

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2384

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review