All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Ok, Dr. Dalia.... new
      #148563 - 02/10/05 10:16 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hey there. Don't eat if you don't have an appetite...and when you do feel like eating, make it some vegetable broth with lots of vegies inside (not made with any kind of store bought stock...just pure homemade)...always eat vegetables about fruits...Don't go above 3 litres of tea a day!!! I don't think anyone could drink that much...but its very important to keep flushing your system. I LOVE Yogi Tummy tea for my belly and Yogi Throat Ease for my throat! If you feel like eating something more proper then vegie soup, I would go for brown rice, and the puffed millet sounds great too! You can also try a little nut butter (make sure the ingredients are pure!) on some wholewheat bread...just a little...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To Ruchie! new
      #148578 - 02/10/05 11:08 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I agree that we put too much junk into our bodies.

I could spend the whole day at Chapters just reading the books for free. I've done that lots but usually no longer than an hour. And I have so many interests that I'm all over the place and don't stick to one section.

If I think of any other links, I'll forward them to you!

Dalia, sounds so scarey! new
      #149132 - 02/11/05 07:52 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

All those rough insolubles without a soluble base! As you know, I haven't gotten very far with the EFI diet either, but it has become ingrained in my head. The thought of eating the plain brown rice and insoluble veggies together is so backwards to what we have been told.

And to eat a fruit without a SF is scary. And Nuts are suppose to be a no too. And dates, prunes, died fruit, especially eaten alone. Raw salads with raw veggies without a soluble fiber.

While I am so C on the EFI diet, I am terrified that eating the "naturapathic way" will cause pain, cramps, and spasms.

I still have not been able to give up my zelnorm, SFS, triphala, magnesium either, but have cut down on the colace. I know you suggested I stop them, but I am so scared I won't have a BM at all.

Is there any hope for me? How did you get the courage to try eating this way?

I need to reply to your email and give you a detailed account of what is going on with me and what and when I am taking these supplements and what I am eating. I did add canned lentils with boiled potatoes and cooked carrots. I think they helped the C, but so gassy even with beano!! I am so frustrated and still confused. Any hope for me?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Dalia, sounds so scarey! :-) new
      #149136 - 02/11/05 08:02 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey there...i know it sounds really scary..I don't know what did it!! I discovered heathers website about nine years into my IBS and now I am ten years in...I decided to try heathers way for a few months, and that happened to coincide with my ibs turning from C to A....the D I got terrified me, gave me awful nausea etc and all I wanted was white rice. But this episode was after I caught a nasty parasite. So for six months I continued to be terrified of fibre...but was fighting C more and more as the months went on. i was getting terribly bored and disheartened with all the white stuff, and the more and more I studied the naturopathy, the more I believed the way bowels should be according to it...and literally one day i woke up and said to myself ' I am not scared anymore..I ate this way for years and it helped my IBS...I am just going to do it'. My skin was getting bad, my energy low, my moods were awful and I just KNEW it was all from the refined stuff...so i went to wholefoods and did a shop like I used to do and in one day completely changed my diet...so far SOOOOO good...its so good to eat all these things again..so the courage just came from me seeing that the refined was wasn't working for me.
Listen...I was going to suggest you do the same thing. A lot fo the fibre I eat is semi soluble -barley, oats etc...a wholewheat pitta bread or something. Yep I eat raw salad and vegies and lentils and a few nuts etc. But it reaches a point where nothing is working. Its not healthy to be on so many medications, I know you have an almost emotional attachment to them - believe me I GET it- been there!! But I really think you should go back to basics, I've said this before...did you ever try a higher fibre diet when you were first diagnosed? what have you tried????
Heathers diet is fantastic for a lot of people, and she is an amazing person, but hey...it just wasn't working for me...but I learnt a lot! The acacia made me sick as a dog too!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#149184 - 02/11/05 10:43 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Wow Dalia. I wish I could be brave enough to eat this way. I'm not on Heather's diet either. I got terrible d 4 days into it and it hung round till I started eating somewhat normally again. I know I can't handle whole wheat, red meat, fat and fructose and I've been doing pretty well so far. Only one attack in 2 1/2 weeks. The giving up sugar thing is just too scary me thinks. I'm a sugar addict. Other than headaches what side effects did you get from giving it up?

--------------------
Amy

#149255 - 02/12/05 09:11 AM
Augie

What were you going to suggest to me, Dalia?

Also, are you taking any supplements at all besides the Jarrow probioitic? Like magnesium or digestive enzymes.

I don't know which ones are safe and which should go. I also read that artichoke leaf can help people with slow gallbladder functioning which I have. Is that safe? Or don't you believe in any supplements at all? I thought naturopath people did use herbs to heal in addition to diet?

What is the name of that book you read as a guide to help figure out how and what to eat? I need to check that out.

And yes, maybe I really on these things as a psychological thing. I don't know. I've read up on them, and they are suppose to help the C, the SFS and the zelnorm, miralax, and triphala. Why are these bad? I also take lexapro and klonopin. Do you think I should give these up as well? Or maybe you don't feel comfortable answering that one. It's hard to remember you are not a doctor, and I don't mean to put you in an akward situation.

I've never tried a high fiber diet. It's hard because I can't do the barley or the oats or the wheat pitas. So I would be totally dependent on veggies and fruits which can be rough on a painful and sensitive tummy. Do you suggest peeled fruits and veggies or unpeeled (apples, nectarines, potato) or baking the apples or is it better to eat the peel?

I also have the low energy and the depression and just feeling so worn out all the time too.

BTW, is flax seed ground up in cereal okay? And do you only eat your fruits alone without other foods, and do no starches (rice,etc) with proteins? I think it's called food combining or something like that. Is that necessary to be healthy in your opinion? I think it would be hard. I don't have time to separate them. It's hard to fit them all in and not be eating all day. I can only fit in so many meals per day while at work!

Oh, one more question, don't you ever just want to have some natural baked potato chips (just the potato and some little oil, like Kettle Crips, or some dry corn cereal)? They are organic and natural. Or even some pretzels in your case since you are not GF.

Okay, this is long enough! Maybe I should email you next time!

oh, one more thing, do you think licorice tea or dandelion root tea is safe for constipation? What teas do you drink? I still cannot believe you can be a C and not have to take an SFS or any meds for help!

Do you think I can still do this by strictly diet even though I am GF and can't do many of the grains you can?

Thank you so much, dear Dalia

--------------------
~ Beth

#149384 - 02/12/05 06:11 PM
Augie

Well I skipped my zelnorm and trihala yesterday and I'm back to C this morning. So discouraging.
See above post!

Can I still reply to the email you sent me?

oh, if I use canned pumkin in the soup, do I just add it to the soup right before pureeing, after other veggies are cooked?

Thank you so much, I'm sure you are quite sick of me by now! Sorry, I do appreciate the help, Dalia!

I just must be doing something wrong though and can't figure it out.

--------------------
~ Beth

Ruchie! new
      #149386 - 02/12/05 06:27 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I feel so terrible for you and completely understand what you are going through. I lived the exact same way until December of this year. I finally am going to councelling and dealing with everything.

I had a major difficult childhood with an abusive mother and emotionally unavailable father. I am finally dealing with these issues. My childhood was causing me trauma in my marriage, my mothering and my friendship and a little bit at work!

Seriously honey! Go to a councelling...I am the hugest advocate of these amazing people as they are so worth your time....it's amazing the things they can teach you about yourself and how to think positively in order to help yourself.

Feel free to email me and I would be happy to share what i have learnt in the past two months...it might provide some insight on what you are going through as it sounds quite similar to my experiences.

(((HUGS))) hon! It's a tough road, but you are the only that can help yourself...baby steps...have the chocolate and go to a councellor...don't beat yourself up over little things. You suffered through a lot when you were little, probably more than you realize.

Good luck and keep me posted as to how you make out!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

((((((LanaMarie))))))) new
      #149437 - 02/12/05 09:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am SO HAPPY you are out in the poen and dealing with things. Good for you *hugs*

Thanks for the suggestion--I am actually in therapy right now. I am also reading a book called "Why Can't I Ever Be good Enough" by Joan Rubin-Deutsch. It's phenomenal and I am finding it to be wonderfully helpful. AND I am also detoxing my bod of sugar and other foods that make me ill and I am on the path to wellness and healing! I hope you are as well *hugs*

A lot happened since I posted this...and I think this past week was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I got SO SICK of being trapped inside myself I just finally broke free!

Anyway, I want to thank you for your caring words and support......you're a great friend *hugs* I might just e-mail you anyway....

With love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I'm really hurting new
      #149491 - 02/13/05 06:31 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Oh Ruchie sweetie,

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. I am a little late replying because I haven't really had a chance to get on line all week.

From what I see of you on the boards you are one of the most caring, loving and positive people. You always have encouraging words to share with everyone to help lift spirits.

I have not experienced physical or verbal abuse so I can't begin to know what you are feeling. I can relate to a low self-esteem. I have had one for years. I have suffered from abandonment issues because my father left when I was 10. He was also an alcoholic, he died 10 years ago and my relationship was a little better at that time. My Mother is addicted to prescription pain medication and has been for many years. I do not have a good relationship with her.I used to do the right thing and call my mother and e-mail her and I finally decided that I needed to take care of myself first. I felt terribly guilty at first but after talking with a counselor I realized that I can't change who she is. It is ok to put yourself first. If you don't want to call your parents out of obligation then you don't have to.

Growing up I was so shy, selfconsious and had no confidence in myself. I always got very upset if anyone critisized me in anyway. I did have a need to please also and couldn't say no to people. I am much better now and seemed to somehow find my way. I will be 47 in April and it has taken me sometime to realize that it is ok to disagree with people, it is ok to do things for myself and it is ok to try new things and for people to not like me. My wonderful, outgoing, caring husband helped me. He has always stood by me and at times has even insisted that I try something new. I started going to college because he insisted. I always wanted to go but didn't have the courage to sign up. There are still times when I see a class or a situation and it scares me. I try very hard to overcome those feelings.

No matter what has happened to us in the past it helps make us stronger and the people we are today. I see nothing but love and hope in you. How lucky you are to have such a wonderful and understanding husband. Knowing you have his support makes all the difference.

I know the boards here would not be the same without you. We need your ability to bring sunshine to us all and your love and friendship.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22245

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review