All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Beagles bake cake, decorate carpet while owner is away
      #146432 - 02/03/05 03:40 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I need to follow my own advice, which to those of you with dogs, was to ALWAYS crate your dog when you leave the house. I left my two beagles sleeping in the chair today (they looked so cute and innocent) while I ran errands because I was too lazy to get them into their crate.

Well, surprise! When I returned, my kitchen floor was covered in white flour. And in spots, it looked like glue. Guess he tried to lick it and decided it wasn't worth it.
Thank goodness, that's all he tried to destroy! And fortunately, he got into the flour and not the sugar because I know he would've eaten that entire bag and been swollen like a whale.

I say "he" because my male beagle gets anxious as soon as I leave the house so I know he was the guilty one. I have a corner cabinet in my kitchen that's like a turntable---and I guess he pushed on it enough to turn it around and help himself to the baking ingredients.

Then I go upstairs and one of them had peed on my carpet. (I'm sure it was the female who gets nervous when the other one destroys something.)

Stupid, stupid human for leaving them out of their crate!!!!!!!!! Never again!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

sounds yummy! new
      #146481 - 02/03/05 05:33 PM

Unregistered

Well I know what you mean about feeling guilty to put them away when you leave and they're all sleepy and nice looking not to mention angelic. We put our pup in one of those baby gate things that hooks up into a octagon kind of thing. One time though we came home and guess who greated us at the door other than that one time she'd never gotten out.

Well I'm glad they're both alive and the house was completely torn apart, but still flour is a mess to clean up!! Guess you learned your lesson the hard way

My cats are just as bad..... new
      #146488 - 02/03/05 05:46 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Last time I went down the coast DH's dad looked after them for me and apart from snoozing on the lounge and making it look like a furry rug they got into the cat crunchies and left them all over the house. Charlotte left a brown present on the floor for my poor FIL to clean up (he flushed it down the loo, which is quite funny cause for 2 weeks I had little pebbles of cat litter sitting in the bottom of my loo) and they got into the towel cupboard and threw the towels all over the floor. Little rascals! Hope you didn't have too much cleaning up to do. They look so darn cute you decide to turn your back for half a second and ......

--------------------
Amy

Hmmm... new
      #146647 - 02/04/05 09:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...we have GOT to work on that crate training. Archie's usual thing is to have jumped up on the sofa and then put paws onto the windowsill...which is covered in DVDs, CDs, etc! So I've found DVDs on the floor a couple of times.

Re: Beagles bake cake, decorate carpet while owner is away new
      #146666 - 02/04/05 10:22 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

We never crate our dogs while we're gone. One of our dogs is crate trained and loves his crate- sleeps there all the time. The other is claustrophobic and being crated made her neurotic, so we gave up with her. She must have had some bad experiences with the people who briefly owned her and dumped her at the Humane Society.

We're lucky because they're older (both about 4) and they don't really get into anything bad- on the other hand we don't care if they're on the furniture at all, and I can see if you did care that crating would be a good solution.

Truthfully, it's the darn cat we should crate because he's always pestering Neil our guinea pig when we're out.

But that description sounds hilarious!!

LOL! This made my day!!! new
      #146704 - 02/04/05 11:59 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

That is so funny! I'm just imagining the floured paw prints everywhere!! ROTFLMBO!

BF's family is against crating, so he has a lot of good stories of pets redecorating the house over the years! He says labradors will eat the drywall if they get especially stresed! Yikes!

Our husky puppy just chews, so as long as he has a bone he keeps away from the furniture. I guess he's been stellar in the last 11 months we've had him, compared to stories I've heard from other dog owners!

~nelly~

Re: Beagles bake cake, decorate carpet while owner is away new
      #146705 - 02/04/05 12:00 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

I have so been in your shoes!!!! I used to have that same corner cupboard that she could push in just enough to get the oatmeal out!! How old are your dogs?? I have a Jack Russell and a black lab. The jack's biggest problem was getting into the garbage..I can't tell you how many times I've picked garbage up off the floor!! now the garbage is in the cupboard. I just always felt so bad kenneling them during the day and now that they're a little older, they don't get into anything anymore...atleast most of the time!! ha ha

Abuss new
      #146715 - 02/04/05 12:17 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

We don't know how old our beagles are because we got them from a beagle rescue. We think they are about 3 and 4 years old. One is tall and weighs 34 pounds. The other is tiny (my husband has nicknamed her "Runt" and "Shrimp.) She is full grown, but is only 14-15 pounds and looks like a puppy. If he won't get out of her way, she ducks and walks under him!

And yes, the trash! Beagles love the trashcan. We have a childproof lock on the cabinet under our sink so that he can't get into the trash, but he still loves to go into my teenage son's room and get into his trash!!!

He just knocked the bathroom trashcan over---and then ran off when he realized it wasn't food!

Ugh!

Re: Puppy ... new
      #147173 - 02/06/05 08:47 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Howls for a full hour at 3 am! Let her out for a poo, but put her straight back in her crate as I do not want this to be a habit. Unfortunately she had a burst of energy and decided to keep us all awake (my sister had come over).

Very tired now ...

Catherine

Oh no Cath! new
      #147191 - 02/06/05 09:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Poor you. Archie slept through till 5.30 will only a couple of messes, but even that was too early today!

Keep up the good crate habits!

Re: Oh no Cath! new
      #147345 - 02/07/05 12:58 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

She is actually quite good really. She sleeps from about 11pm till 7am and doesn't make any messes at all.

Then she has a massive energy burst ...

Wish I did!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 306 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review